Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dream Theater auditioning drummers

EddiePlaysBass

Part one of three features Mike Mangini. I like this guy, from what I have seen. Can't say I knew him but he played with Extreme and Annihilator amongst others. Next episode will have, amongst others, Virgil Donati. Should be interesting!

Oh, bit of a spoiler alert: if you watch the drummers's right hand techniques you can sort of guess who they are hinting at in the teaser for next episode - the final few seconds of this episode.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the first two names that obviously come to mind are Tommy or Marky Ramone.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/91947.gifhttp://www.rock-n-radio.com/images/0000/2149/marky4.jpg

If neither of them want the gig they could always get one of these:

http://www.audiorealism.se/adm/adm_small_s.jpg

Push the button Frank.

I'm totally staying out of this one, save my faint hope that they manage to pull in Terry Bozzio - which would be so epically awesome I would probably drop dead of a heart attack - but is as likely to happen as me dropping dead of a heart attack before I complete this post and hit the sub...

You people are unbelievable. I thought that for once it would be possible to bring up DT without getting flame wars and derogatory comments made on the music. I thought that people on this forum would be interested in seeing how a famous band goes about auditioning musicians, especially given the yearly recurrent Idols threads.

Guess I was wrong. Shame on me.

You people are unbelievable. I thought that for once it would be possible to bring up DT without getting flame wars and derogatory comments made on the music. I thought that people on this forum would be interested in seeing how a famous band goes about auditioning musicians, especially given the yearly recurrent Idols threads.

Guess I was wrong. Shame on me.

I wasn't flaming. I was prognosticating.

Truth be told, I have no insterest in the process on how a "big time" band holds auditions for "big time" talent.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Bozio in D.T. would indeed be a total and unquestionable hoot!

That would be interesting. He is a great drummer.

His solo set on the Zappa Plays Zappa DVD is ridinkulous.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Did I hear that the original DT drummer is now playing with Avenged Sevenfold, hence the need for a new drummer in DT?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Odd, I had always heard that DT was Portnoys' band.

I have no real interest in DT but if Bozzio were in it I would give them another spin.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

While I enjoyed a lot of this, it was too much like a "reality game show" playing out for tension and drama. That's the unfortunate mentality of society today. I'd have rather seen the audition (and more of it) with a bit of back story and less TV production. But then again, it is Dream THEATER.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Did I hear that the original DT drummer is now playing with Avenged Sevenfold, hence the need for a new drummer in DT?

You did, but they fired him in December last year.

I checked it out. Apparently they only expected him to play with the band until the end of 2010, so it wasn't so much a firing as a temporary engagement with a planned end date. Avenged Sevenfold=not my cup of tea. Better for Portnoy to move on, IMO.

Bummer for DT to have to find a new drummer. Replacing band members sucks. It's got to be even more of a hassle when the band is famous and known for over-the-top musicianship. And anyone stepping into that spot is going to be under serious scrutiny. The right person will have to be the kind of player who looks at the situation as an exciting challenge rather than a daunting proposition.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Here's some topics that could have been discussed based on the video:

1) How to go about auditioning people (give them a song list, have improv jams with them, tape the audition).

2) How to prepare for auditions if you're on the candidate end of things.

3) The (dis)advantage of being first in a row of auditions - sure Mike Mangini "set" the bar, but he is first in a row of about 7 and people tend to remember the last ones more.

4) The comparative advantages of being a hired gun vs. being in a full-time band (based on a comment made by one of the drummers auditioning)

5) How equally / more talented people than the one being replaced are perceived in the band and what they bring to the table. Jordan Rudess said something about how Mangini accentuates different aspects of the songs and keeps eyes on everybody all the time.

There is tons more that could be discussed from this video, but the fact that it is Dream Theater auditioning for a drummer and not, say Return To Forever (a band with odd meters, different tempo changes within a single song and oh, Berkeley or similar grad students -which DT's members are not, by the way) brought the Maury out in most of you. Sorry it's not fusion or jazz, guys. I don't see much difference between progressive metal or fusion personally but one should be ridiculed and the other revered, apparently.

Erik, special kudos to you for making an effort. I know you don't like Dream Theater (to put it lightly) but at least you're not trying to derail this thread. Much appreciated, especially since it has become the standard as of late on this forum: within three comments any thread must get hijacked and derail from its original post or intent. Truth be told, even though it is filled with teens and tweens who play in alternative emocore grindfusion popbands, Talkbass has more constructive threads than this forum. And that's saying a lot.

[/rant]

Really, EPB?! You really woke up on the cranky side of the bed. Lighten up, Francis.

Ken and I have definitely played the jokers on this thread, but we were pretty light-hearted about it. And, Ken's jesting posts actually help accentuate the complexity of what DT attempts to do musically. You highlight Erik's posts, but Griff, jcadmus, Danzilla, basshappi, and others also contributed posts that were responsive to the original topic at hand.

Early in the thread you talk about derogatory posts about DT's music. I actually see none of those. Except maybe Ken's, but again, his suggestions don't imply that DT is simple or crap, but rather highlight the complexity of what they do by proposing drummers (or machines) that might be considered, um, basic or straightforward. My posts are clearly just screwing around...maybe even sophomoric.

The testiness about DT isn't specific to progressive metal (Pernax, where are you?! I listen to my Helios CD from time to time -- which actually includes a vocal contribution from the aforementioned getz76), but linked to one particularly critical thread from the past where DT had been the key subject.

RE: jazz fusion and progressive metal...I tend to like groovier music, and I generally find fusion groovier to my ears. There is fusion I don't like, as there is progressive metal that I enjoy.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived