Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Groove box survey - lurkers invited to participate!

[quote]Originally posted by aeon: [b] that sound is a preset on the Roland alpha-Juno series of synths, and can be recreated on most any decent 2-osc synth with a good filter and some portamento...no sampling involved! :) [/b][/quote] hahahaha.... i know the scene a little and let me say, they arent synthin' Hoovers... most recent HH records even sample each other, i wouldnt be surprised if the same kick and offbeat bass has been resampled and recirculated more then 50 times back and forth(record to record to record back to record etc etc) a lot of HH producers ive met dont even take their music seriously. an 'unnamed friend' of mine puts out 12" of HH that sell out instantly pretty much. his theory on HH is "just some crap on the side" i cant get into it myself. more room to move in dnb and breakbeat.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can remember my disco fever days and how we used to say they`ll never understand due mostly cause mainstream didn`t accept it at first to now where I think back and realize they never accepted it they just(like everything else)contaminated it.Hip-Hop not HH is a culture that goes beyond music and touch`s a large majority of the world.To say (meaning your friend)that it`s just some crap is kinda disrespectful,maybe what he makes is but I`d hardly call Dj Premeire`s work crap!Or even the lyric`s and dynamical flow of Rakim crap!To each his own but this is a culture that has paved the way for other genre`s of music,without Hip-Hop there would be no DNB or House or Techno or Trance or whatever people bite off of Hip-Hop and turn it into.It really upset`s me to see that as a music loving community we still are seperated by ignorance.It`s still that gap between us and I`m afraid it will never end.Not arguing with you or shooting insults but next time your friend say`s it`s just some crap ask him if that`s what he thinks he`s worth,cause if it`s just some crap he should be using his time for something a little more challenging.Peace!

I have a mc 505 I got cheap on ebay. It's kinda fun, not very pro sounding, a bitch to program. I use it as a click w/ ptle, and a tone source sometimes, if i use it in a track it's through a filter of stomp box. I think it's best use is for sitting on the couch with headphones, goofing w/ grooves and bass parts. I also like the sequencer.
theo

[quote][b]Sampling off records these days is just... ign'ant. There are so many freakin' sample CDs that nobody but other producers has ever heard[/b][/quote] I find sample CDs boring and generic. I mean, I do use them occasionally, but only as a last resort, because the same samples will appear on different productions. Sampling off records is much tastier and more exciting, because a sample of one thing can be used as a completely different type of element. A full-band hit from an obscure jazz recording can be sequenced into a melodic element, for example. It's that unmistakably urban sound you get with stolen samples. Mixing a kick and a snare from two completely different styles of recordings into one beat - that funk sound. That shit sounds too soft when taken off of sample CDs, in my opinion. E :)

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

[quote] A full-band hit from an obscure jazz recording can be sequenced into a melodic element, for example. Mixing a kick and a snare from two completely different styles of recordings into one beat - that funk sound. That shit sounds too soft when taken off of sample CDs, in my opinion. [/quote] All good techniques, but you can do that stuff with any source. Layer sample CD & MIDI stuff together and then chop-chop; use the full-band "construction set" type CDs; sample a groovebox. Something that sounds real cool is to take a nice little clean loop you've made, compress it to hell with L1 or whatever, and then run it through Steinberg's Grungelizer to make it sound like it came off vinyl, but you control the crap-level. Then chop it in ReCycle, throw it in Battery with the waveform mods and ADSR envelope... and who cares about a MPC. Nothing sounds phat fresh-out-the-box, you gotta mess with it. But considering the absolutely sick level of plugins and whatnot we've got to play with nowadays, there's no reason you can't turn any anemic Casio into Drumz 0f Deth.

[quote]Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com: [b]This all makes me glad that I'm still an old school MIDI fool who builds every groove one (unsampled) note at a time.[/b][/quote] YOU TOO?! I thought I was nearly alone in that department. Me and Noteworthy Composer, Cakewalk and others do a brisk business in MIDI layer-building (tho mine's not so much in the 'groove zone' as discussed here _ they usually end up sounding pretty realistically done if I use good instrument patches [plus I seldom quantize everything, sometimes nothing!] ) [quote]Originally dansouth@yahoo.com: [b] It takes a little longer, but then Mom's home cookin' takes a little longer than McDonald's, too, if you know what I'm sayin'... [/b][/quote]I read ya. And I also prefer Mama's warmed up original-leftovers for a week to a fresh MacBurger :)
-- Music has miracle potential --

[quote]Sampling off records is much tastier and more exciting, because a sample of one thing can be used as a completely different type of element. A full-band hit from an obscure jazz recording can be sequenced into a melodic element, for example. It's that unmistakably urban sound you get with stolen samples.[/quote] I'll go out on a limb here and say there IS such a thing as [i]de minimus[/i] copying, in which the supposed infringement is so insignificant or transformative that it simply constitutes a new work of art. If every snare hit or discarded bit of dialog from a bad TV show had to be meticulously cleared, think of all the wonderful albums we'd be living without. Like: The Orb - Adventures beyond the Ultraworld DJ Shadow - Endtroducing Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet You know, when Andy Warhol reproduced the Cambell's corporate logo in photographic detail on a canvas and sold it for a million bucks, they called it ART.

[quote][b]quote: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ A full-band hit from an obscure jazz recording can be sequenced into a melodic element, for example. Mixing a kick and a snare from two completely different styles of recordings into one beat - that funk sound. That shit sounds too soft when taken off of sample CDs, in my opinion. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ All good techniques, but you can do that stuff with any source. Layer sample CD & MIDI stuff together and then chop-chop; use the full-band "construction set" type CDs; sample a groovebox. Something that sounds real cool is to take a nice little clean loop you've made, compress it to hell with L1 or whatever, and then run it through Steinberg's Grungelizer to make it sound like it came off vinyl, but you control the crap-level. Then chop it in ReCycle, throw it in Battery with the waveform mods and ADSR envelope... and who cares about a MPC. Nothing sounds phat fresh-out-the-box, you gotta mess with it. But considering the absolutely sick level of plugins and whatnot we've got to play with nowadays, there's no reason you can't turn any anemic Casio into Drumz 0f Deth.[/b][/quote] Yeah. Cool. But there's one essential element missing there: the Vibe. A full orchestral hit I sample from a live recording of some old-skool band in a club in Germany will have a vibe that cannot be duplicated. I don't want the hit - I want the vibe. Get it? Yeah, I can take a generic sample, and do this and that and the other thing with it. Polishing a turd. No thanks. When I look for tasty-cake samples, I listen for tasty-cake vibes. That's the art of sampling. Skip all of those time and $$$ wasting steps with those recycling software bullshit programs. Go for the source, and keep it fa real. Big $$$ were spent on recordings of tasty hits, so take those hits as they are, and loop them into some tasty grooves. E :)

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

i may sound like a cliche here but i walk the line betwee to two extremes yeah Dj Shadow - Endtroducing was an interesting record. it was one of a few i "Studied" to an extreme preparing my downtempo breakbeat band for gigs and production sessions (the others included Uberzone's excellent record Faith In The Future and oddly enough, both Miles Davis records and Simon and Garfunkel Records, as far as improvisation and minimal harmonies go respectively) the obvious advantages to sampling are of course the 'unknown'. i may load my S2000 or reason's NN16 up with a bunch of samples and just tweak. the results are part experimental and part derrived. depends on the processing. as for legitimacy of sampling, i love its grey areas. controversial things make music interesting (think Rock'n'Roll's birth, early hiphop such as De La Soul getting gentle politcal, and, hahaha, Milli Vanilli (say what????) what my point here? nothing nothing at all and you can quote me (sample me) on that! in the end its about the music. i love diversity and you guys rock ass. im so happy this board isnt 'unified' in its musical dogma :D

Archived