Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Beep Purple @ Montreau on Palladium / Don Airey appreciation

tarkus

It's been a long time since I've watched/listened to Deep Purple. I think the last time I saw them was in 98.

I wathced the show on the Palladium channel.

Don Airey does a fantastic job at the KB helm. Truly one of the greats.

Check out the jazz intro to Smoke on the Water. Made me laugh. :)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pssst... typo in the subject line. I thought it was a spoof of the real thing from the subject. ;)

I was thinking "what could possibly be interesting about Deep Purple on a TB-303?"

Or a TB-303 AND a Tenori-On!

http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20080714/tenori303.jpg

Beepy goodness all 'round. :D

I own the Live at Montreux 2006 DVD, and Airey does a great job there. Can't say the same about Gillan's singing, since the late 90's his voice is gone. But i don't know, Purple without Lord and Blackmore isn't purple, it's more like "Rod Evan's Deep Purple" from the 80's, now, that was a laugh.

Anyone ever heard this story? In the early 80's Evans hired session musicians and went touring with the name Deep Purple. When people went to the shows, they didn't see Blackmore, or Lord or even Paice. Needless to say, they were booed off the stage at every show they did and he ended up losing his royalties for his songs. (By the way, the musicians he hired sucked) :rawk:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Pssst... typo in the subject line. I thought it was a spoof of the real thing from the subject. ;)

haha!

only one cup of coffee today and severe allergy hell. take it for what it's worth.

anyhoo - Don plays great and well worth a watch even if you don't like Deep (or Beep) Purple.

I saw this 2009 show too last night. Don played great, but Jon was what, the best rock organist ever? It was telling that Don replicated a lot of Jon's iconic parts. He had great Hammond tone tho' and the Moog sounded nice too.

I usually don't like Morse in this band but he seemed to be toning down his pyrotechnics a bit more than in days of yore, so I enjoyed him more. It's a reminder that too much technique can be a danger to the music.

Ian Gillan - geesh, he sings sharp!

Moe

---

I'm sure there is a fine line between paying homage to and respecting the original sound without aping it, and bringing something of yourself to the proceedings at the same time. To me Don Airey walks this line with perfect balance. Steve Morse...not so much.
Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

Archived