Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Easy SONAR questions

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1- ? 2- pre would be signal unaffected by channel fader - like for doing a headphone cue. post would be affected by channel fader for most effects usage.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

[quote]Originally posted by LanceMo: [b]Easy for the mechanically minded... 1. What's the difference between a RIFF wav and a Broadcast wav file? 2. On the AUX BUS, what's the advantage/disadvantage in setting it to "pre" or "post"? Or more plainly: How do those things work exactly? :thu: [/b][/quote]A Broadcast Wave file is time stamped.
"...draggin' a dead walrus..." kk

[quote]Originally posted by NE-One: [b]1- ? 2- pre would be signal unaffected by channel fader - like for doing a headphone cue. post would be affected by channel fader for most effects usage.[/b][/quote]Thanks NE-ONE. So what affect does this have in practice? My brother explained this to me once but, like Milli Vanilli's grammy, it didn't stick.

What the heck is a RIFF file? Is that Cakewalk specific? Or do you mean AIFF? Some specific examples of pre and post fader aux send applications: 1) You send a guitar and a vocal through the same reverb. If you set those auxes to prefader, you will not be able to control the relative levels of the two instruments with the channel faders. Also, if you fade the two out using their channel faders, you will still hear them going strong coming out of the reverb. Use post fader for this application. 2)Let's say you have a clean guitar track that you've recorded. Now you want that track to have distortion through the whole song, except for the chorus, where you'd like the clean signal to double the distorted sound. In this case, I would send the signal out of the aux as prefader into the distortion box. I would then return the distortion back to the board into a channel. Now I can pull the fader of the clean track all the way down to nothing and control the distorted guitar with its own fader. Then, at the chorus, I'd just pull the fader up on the clean track. Since the aux is set to prefader, the gain increase on the clean track does nothing to the distorted track.

"For instance" is not proof.

A RIFF is a standard WAV file that contains acidizing information. Broadcast WAV is time stamped. If you're sending off a WAV file for duplication or whatever, there's no significant difference between the two.

Archived