Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

baby grand or not?

rockkeys

Really? Where? Who?
Jim. . . AKA 'B3-er', is a professional piano tuner/technician (as am I), and a fantastic musician & organ player. I think you're out-of-order to question his credentials.
I didn't take this as questioning my credentials; I took it as an honest inquiry since Estonia's are not common around Michigan.

The one I tuned was in Philly; a friend has one. I played that one as well and one in Detroit (can't remember where; not in a home). My friend in Philly has a very nice one. The timbre is quite dark, though; but I can see why people would prefer it.

Man, some of you are wound too tight. Jim is right, I was asking earnestly because there aren't many Estonias in central or western Michigan. Evola sells them in MI, and they are in the eastern part of the state (except for their newest store up in Traverse City or wherever).

Another reason I ask is because the Estonias of the Soviet era were crap, but the new ones are excellent, night and day difference. They were totally redesigned and rescaled when Indrek Laul gained controlling interest in the company (bought the company). For example, 1997 and 2002 aren't even comparable, even though they are only five years apart. Larry Fine now rates them with Steinway.

That's why I was asking. Did Jim play and work on 1990's era (or earlier) Estonias or new ones from the last few years? HUGE difference. Jim knew what I was talking about. I'm not questioning Jim's credentials. I've seen him play live in East Lansing and on WKAR-TV.

I don't mean to turn this into an Estonia thread, so I'm sorry for that. I was just responding to a specific allegation.

And as for my previous comments, I think I echoed what others said, sell it for a good price and buy a longer piano. It makes a difference.

Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then your friend's is the newer, redesigned Estonia. Good deal! At least we're talking apples and apples. Tastes vary, but I know you weren't looking at an old, inferior model.

Did your friend get his from Cunninghams? Maybe Rich?

Most people don't own an S6. They own a C1 which is horrible and not at all comparable.

I don't think the C1 is horrible. It's a great piano for someone who's living on an honest salary

Sorry, I didn't word that as well as I could have. I meant it in comparison. The point was that one couldn't compare an S6 and a C1 simply because they were from the same company. They have little similarities, much like the Corvette and Geo Metro in my example. Mostly anything under 6' is a PSO (piano-shaped object). There are really only two exceptions I can think of.

But my other point, not to belabor it, was that Yamahas are overpriced, and better pianos from several manufacturers could be had at the same price point.

Archived