Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KB3 through a ventilator

rockkeys

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have and quite frankly, I don't think the ventilator is worth it now that the Kurzweil operating system has been updated (January, 2011) as the new PC3 OS is really really good. The only possible shortcoming IMO is the overdrive as the vent's overdrive sounds quite good, and possibly better than the PC3's overdrive sims (although I haven't made up my mind on that yet).

So I am considering selling the ventilator (which I bought before the update, as the PC3 Leslie's really didn't cut it until updated).

BTW, the Kurzweil sound samples online still use the old OS so they don't reveal how good the new one is.

I have a Leslie 3300 with Speakeasy pre-amp and Nord C1 as my comparison benchmarks. Not a real Hammond or 122 but still quite good IMO.

I use the KB3 sounds through a ventilator and am pretty happy with the sound. I would NOT dump the Vent or my NE3 though. 1st the PC3x has weighted keys, you cannot play the organ well on it. The NE3 is light and very versatile as I use many of the sampled sounds as well. 3rd I like having 2 boards while playing live.

OK, so are you saying that the new KB3 is as good as a nord c1 through a 3300? I find that hard to believe, but hey, stranger things have happened.

No I'm not saying that. The 3300 pushes real air so it beats the vent and the EL3 (which I had but sold) and the C1 and KB3.

But the new KB3 is as good, or perhaps almost as good (overdrive might be better on the vent), and in some ways better (more variety in Leslies) than the vent IMO.

I use the KB3 sounds through a ventilator and am pretty happy with the sound. I would NOT dump the Vent or my NE3 though. 1st the PC3x has weighted keys, you cannot play the organ well on it. The NE3 is light and very versatile as I use many of the sampled sounds as well. 3rd I like having 2 boards while playing live.

Agreed - I traded my pc3x for a pc3 b/c I just could not get used to weighted organs, new KB3 or not. I sold my NEL3 but miss it for the reasons you list. I had planned on getting a Nord Stage 2 or Compact instead but now with the new KB3 I'm not so sure I want it. I am now in need of a weighted board to replace the pc3x but it no longer must be a Nord, given the quality of the new KB3.

If I do dump my clone, it would be for the pc361 which is good enough for organ playing. Do you have any mp3's of the kb3 through a vent?

I think with a weighted board on the bottom (SV1, or Stage 2), that would pretty much be ideal, but the pc361 is not ideal for pianos as it is non weighted. PC3 is semiweighted (nice compromise), PC3x is fully weighted (but heavy for a weakling like me)

There is at least one more improvement scheduled for another OS release - the "Big Leslie" is a double chain Leslie effect, so any vibrato or chorus applied is being double applied - which does not sound realistic. Kurzweil is aware of this, and plans some fine tuning on that specific effect.

I own both a PC3 and Nord Electro 3 - with the improvements in OS 2.01, I no longer carry both boards (except as a backup left in the van) unless I have a situation where I will be doing a lot of Hammond/Leslie that is solo or otherwise very exposed. The PC3 effects are good enough by itself for supporting work with a band. I don't have the Ventilator - but it is no longer on my "gotta get it when I get some money" list of stuff.

I do usually carry the Electro to church to use with the PC2 that I have there.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived