Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One month down, 11 to go...

SteveC

Not a "resolution" but I am trying to give up the GAS for this year and stick to my Yamaha, Genz combo and NXT EUB for the year. All my gigs are more than covered, and I'm spending time practicing - especially getting upright chops back in shape again - instead of always looking for the next piece of gear everyone else makes me think I should have.

Seems like if the 6.0-12T combo, an electric and an upright are the "go to" rig for Ed Friedland, it should be good enough for me - and he has access to WAY more stuff than I do.

Just throwing it out there...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just think of all those great players from the past--in the blues or early rock n roll. They didn't have sh-t for gear, and yet you listen to those recordings today and they are still magic. Hell, James Jamerson kept the same set of strings on his bass forever.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I meant to mention that I am also trying not to buy any new music this year. I moved in to a house last year, so I'm finally taking things out of storage, like 100+ CD's and 250+ cassettes, mostly mixtapes. Lots of half-forgotten treasures there among the trash, it will take me all year to sort it out and digitize it. I spend more time listening to music via iPod than I do any other way.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Excellent! I was reminded about my own resolution yesterday: I was abroad for 2 night (business trip) and the only thing in sight was a M*cD*n*lds "restaurant" so I figured that since I was there alone for the evening, might as well go and have a quick bite.

Came back to the hotel room feeling heavy. And it only got worse, to the point where I thought I was going to expand and explode. I took a long hard look in the mirror and realised all these years it's just been hollow phrases, and I never really meant what I said or wrote about losing weight.

Well I am not going to talk big talk now. Just take it one week at a time, and one month at a time and see how long I can remind myself of just how horrible I felt last night (didn't sleep at all so today has been a very, very long day already).

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Excellent! I was reminded about my own resolution yesterday: I was abroad for 2 night (business trip) and the only thing in sight was a M*cD*n*lds "restaurant" so I figured that since I was there alone for the evening, might as well go and have a quick bite.

Came back to the hotel room feeling heavy. And it only got worse, to the point where I thought I was going to expand and explode. I took a long hard look in the mirror and realised all these years it's just been hollow phrases, and I never really meant what I said or wrote about losing weight.

Well I am not going to talk big talk now. Just take it one week at a time, and one month at a time and see how long I can remind myself of just how horrible I felt last night (didn't sleep at all so today has been a very, very long day already).

My wife has lost over 50 pounds since July so the pressure is on...that, too, is a month at a time kind of thing. I've been sick for the last few weeks so I kind of got the flu/strep "jump start" so we'll see if I can keep my intake down like it has been for the last few weeks.

My wife has lost over 50 pounds since July so the pressure is on...that, too, is a month at a time kind of thing. I've been sick for the last few weeks so I kind of got the flu/strep "jump start" so we'll see if I can keep my intake down like it has been for the last few weeks.

Wow! How did she drop 50 so fast?

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Not a "resolution" but I am trying to give up the GAS for this year...

I think what kills it for me every year is that I hang around websites like this one, I read my BP magazine and whatever other bass stuff I can get my hands on, and gosh darn it if I don't seem to develop a sudden need to get a new piece of equipment that I knew nothing about previously but now must have no matter the cost or inconvenience.

ps. just realized that the preceding was all one sentence. :)

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

Wow! How did she drop 50 so fast?

Actually, 50 pounds over 7 months is a good pace...about 2 pounds a week. She does Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred DVD and we try to watch what we eat and just do smaller portions of stuff we like - but healthy versions. She is a nut about preservatives, whole foods, etc. She bakes bread every Sunday for the upcoming week, buys organic, etc. If I would get off my ass and exercise a little, I'd be down, too.

She looks really good. She says she's down to high school weight or so. Definitely the lowest she's been since I've known her. It's like I'm having an affair...

She says she's down to high school weight or so...

Oh, man, that would be so cool. Unlikely, though. I still have my high school gym suit, but I can guarantee you I will never again squeeze into it.

Good for her, though. Maybe there's still hope...

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

My resolution is to sell off a bunch of the stuff I no longer use. I'm running out of storage space!

In addition to 40 years worth of hoarding PA, guitar and bass gear, I've added the following in the past 12 months or so:

A pair of BFM Jack10 PA cabs (Though I did sell the cabs they replaced, which saved some space.)

A fEARful 12/6 bass cab (It replaced an Acme B2, but no real space savings.)

A Second 6-string bass (Total bass count now 5, plus at least a dozen skinny-string guitars.)

A mixer (I kept the old one for rehearsal)

A second power amp

A dual 15 band EQ

Two rack cases

A 6th mic

Two mic stands

An amp stand

Several effect pedals

Anyone wanna' buy some outdated/obsolete/beat up skinny-string gear? :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...
2 months down. It's still the BB605, the NXT EUB and the Genz combo. I listened to some recordings from NYE (big horn band) and the jazz quartet today and they sounded pretty darn good. The Yamaha sounded great in the horn band (who needs a P with flats to play R&B) and on the contemporary jazz stuff. The EUB was great in the jazz quartet - save for some player error with pitch, but it's getting better.

• 3 weeks later...

So, mid March and doing pretty good. I did swap my 6.0-12T for a 3.0-10T and an extension cab. Never liked all the mid I seemed to get from the 12 and I am really a fan of the FET preamp over the tube. I know, how dare I.

I don't count that as GAS, just a fine tuning. I did take a Geddy Lee out tonight to A/B with the Yamaha and while it was a nice bass to hear and play, it still wasn't that much nicer than what I have so I'm still with the Yamaha.

The NXT EUB seems to be working well. People like the sound - and look - so hopefully my extremely sore hands will come around.

It's been a tough 3 months, but I've been trying to do the same GAS treatment you are. It's even tougher when I see stuff on clearance. I'm not a huge gearhead, but I like to try different things depending on what's on my iPod.

I spent all of 2010 with my fretless, and it was a great experience to only play one bass several times a week for a year straight. This year I'm using my mainstay JBass with Flatwounds for band practice. At home, I'm really getting into fully testing my G&L Tribute to what it can do. I'm really glad that I bought it in 2009; it's an all around great bass, and I can see using it for a lot of different styles.

I'm really happy with the amp I have but last night at practice though, it sounded like my 22 year old GK 200 MB's speaker might be on its way out. I'm hoping it will be a relatively easy fix, it's a great little amp that has been around the world with me. The amp's built in chorus is adequate, but now I know there are better pedals. 1 chorus pedal for the wishlist.

I don't like my Ashdown Sub-Octave pedal, it is inferior to several other octave pedals I've tried since I bought the Ashdown 5 years ago. At least in swearing off GAS purchases, I did take the time to really try it out, and I know it's a poor effect pedal, for me at least, and can get rid of it knowing that I fully explored it. 1 MXR Octave pedal for the wishlist.

I'm still jonesing for a P-Bass, but I can wait until 2012 if I still think I need it.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I almost made it 4 months.

I have really been loving passive basses lately - when noodling around at the store. I also found myself not using (sometimes by choice, sometimes just because) the B string that much any more. My Yamaha had active bypass, but the pups weren't single coil, it wasn't the same.

I was going to go cheap, get a cSquier P and J, call it good. I tried a Squier for a while, but I guess I just need a little more. I was using an EUB, but don't play enough to keep up chops.

My wife wondered why I just didn't get a decent bass (can't afford or justify a Sadowsky or Roscoe or whatever, and I like passive right now anyway) and call it good. I decided she is probably right, so I got a Fender American Standard Jazz as my one and only bass. If there's a gig I can't cover with this, then I really suck.

We'll see how it goes. No "new" money was spent - sold the Yamaha and the EUB, bought the Fender and paid some debt.

Well, SteveC you are not alone my friend... many of us out here wrestle with many of the same issues. 2.5 years ago I went through a 1.5 yr period where I must've bought and sold close to 40 bass guitars (4 & 5 string) various price ranges, some new some gently used but too good a deal to pass up, amps, rigs, etc. Needless to say, I've trimmed my list of equipment down considerably and try not to make a change unless I really feel the "need" to do so. I'm down to 1 J bass, 1 P bass, 1 specialty active J type bass from Dean and my main axe is a Cort GB74 "P", "J" & "MM" Hybrid Active and only 1 150 watt Line 6 bass amp for practice and 1 250 watt Carvin Micro Bass rig (10") w/ 15" ext cabinet. Just think of all the aggravation I could have saved myself by not buying and selling all that equipment! Stick with it, you're doing the right thing, and tweek your system down to what you really need and are happy with and hopefully find some "Peace of Mind"!

@~OLD BASS PLAYERS NEVER DIE...

@~WE JUST FADE AWAY CARRYING OUT MUCH LIGHTER...

@~MICRO~MINI RIGS...

With Sound Mind & Questionable Morals/Ethics,

Warmest Regards,

BUCKEYEBASSMASTER

Archived