Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Huckabee in the new issue

Imogene

Bill Clinton plays sax, right - to some degree anyway. Did anyone ever interview HIM on the subject of music in general and sax playing in particular?

I seem to remember Richard Nixon and Harry Truman played piano. And our former Secretary of State, Condoleeza Rice, is an accomplished classical pianist.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a video clip once of Nixon playing piano. He may have played violin also...

It's POSSIBLE Clinton didn't have time to learn all the hip Michael Brecker licks, due to his other job responsibilities. Yes, I know, excuses, excuses......

"International crises be damned... and the Congress shutting the government down... I GOTTA GET THIS LICK!!"

"International crises be damned... and the Congress shutting the government down... I GOTTA GET THIS LICK!!"

Yeah, I think Clinton DID say that. :whistle:

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I liked the article. I thought it was nice to read a politician who actually champions arts & music programs in schools.

I agree. And it's very hard for me to agree on anything with Mike H. So good on ya, fella.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Of course, if a cricket player, or trainspotter, played bas, that would be an article of global interest ;)

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Well Phil, this guy is probably the frontrunner to run against President Obama in 2012. I'd personally find it interesting if David Cameron, Gordon Brown or Tony Blair were a bass player.

I have heard that Mrs. Thatcher could play a mean slap bass. Maggie had the funk.

Push the button Frank.

I'm trying to remember if there was ever an article about the great basketball player, Wayman Tisdale, who was also an excellent bass player. He passed away two years ago.

Keanu Reeves plays bass. Where's his article?

Maybe he plays about as well as he acts. :laugh:

An army of me

How can we tell how the obvious fakes are?

Are they newbies that ask beginner questions?

Are they regular posters who don't share any of their experience?

I know it's too much to ask, but it would be great if everyone used their own name and their own picture when posting.

Unless they are in the witness protection program. :)

IIR, Wayman did get some BP press. Probably not enough, though. His tunes are very distinctive. When they come on the cable smooth jazz music channel, I pick them out about as fast as my wife picks out the Mindy Abair tunes.

And Hmmm....Maybe I'll get some BP press: I submitted the Dr.K kick drum speaker cab to "Dig My Rig"

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

...having an article on him was pretty meaningless for a percentage of the readers. Like if some baseball player played a little bass in his spare time, the rest of the world would be little interested.

Hulk Hogan plays bass too. Now there is an article for BP to cover. With all due respect, there are lots of things that people find meaningless, but I digress. The Chris Squire vid was terrific, I could 'feel his pain', thanks to whoever posted that. The Meatloaf vid that I pointed out is no longer available. Sorry.

Honestly, I regret posting this thread. But I've learned a bit from just about all of you. Albeit sadly predictable.

I'm trying to remember if there was ever an article about the great basketball player, Wayman Tisdale, who was also an excellent bass player. He passed away two years ago.

Keanu Reeves plays bass. Where's his article?

Maybe he plays about as well as he acts. :laugh:

So what? I'd gladly watch him do either. ;)

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Hmmmm, sadly predictable...I was actually trying to think of a different angle with the global relevance thing. And there are plenty of arguments either way on that. The UK politicos people mentioned were all leaders of a country. I know the US can get a bit inward looking (somtimes with good reason) and I pointed out the relative global irrelevance, even compared with Wayman, Hulk H and Keannu at this point. If he becomes president, OK, that would be different and this interview would be historically significant perhaps. You could argue either that it's an American magazine so BP shouldn't care about global relevance or that I read the whole article.

How can you regret posting the thread? What kind of discussion were you looking for? One on your terms?

Kudos on you for posting the thread. This is a forum associated with Bass Player magazine and it's probably going to stimulate a lot of discussion, a lot less gentle than this one. I think we've done a good job here of avoiding the party political elements of tthe discussion. I've been careful not to air my views of Mick's politics, Republicans or especiallyy on Fox Network and it's owner.

What's predictable Imogene? That people hold a variety of views?

I understand the questioning people have in comparing a profile of Huckabee vs other political, or otherwise famous figures. But first of all, he currently has a news analysis show that is aired weekly featuring amateur musicians from the studio as well as professional guests. Regardless of your politics, that, in and of itself, advances him on the current musical scene. On top of that, his views on music as a part of public education, i think most of us, regardless of political persuasion, would tend to agree with. Regarding other historical politicians, I don't think there was "sax player magazine", or "violin player magazine" at the time. Keanue Reeves, OK, that could be moderately interesting, but IDK.

Regardless, I've been pleasantly surprised by the majority of responses here, as it demonstrates that people with differing political views can come together on specific issues - particularly something as important as music, and music education! Kudos to all!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

So, it isn't just me.

Honestly, I regret posting this thread. But I've learned a bit from just about all of you. Albeit sadly predictable.

What's this? Pretty cocky there Imogene. Give yourself a smackdown.

Regardless, I've been pleasantly surprised by the majority of responses here

Thank gawd. Now we can all sleep better.

An army of me

You like Huckabee?? You have got to be kidding me!!

He stands for everything that anyone with a heart and a brain rejects (unless, that is, you make more than 250000.-)or you are a religious zealot(the right religion of course)

He has been in lockstep with his party with the main goal (practically the party platform) being

Bring Obama down at any cost even if it means destroying the country in the process.

Funding for the arts as a GOP important issue???

You can't be serious.

Anyway I could go on but I'd just like to say that with this article BP has stooped to such a low level that I will not renew my subscription.

I'm not interested in a lengthy discussion why I'm wrong and you guys are right. I just wanted to at least be one voice on this forum who finds this article offensive.I'm just surprised that I seem to be the only one.

Serious question here. Let's say a leading Democrat was a bass player. If BP did an article on him/her would you be cool with that? Are you outraged at politics in BP or politics you disagree with in BP?

Push the button Frank.

So, it isn't just me.

What's this? Pretty cocky there Imogene. Give yourself a smackdown.

Regardless, I've been pleasantly surprised by the majority of responses here

Thank gawd. Now we can all sleep better.

Um, you're new to the whole 'respect those with differing viewpoints' thing, I see.

Here's the thing - this forum is supposed to be a meeting of equals with one common passion, bass guitar in all of its aspects. Fortunately, we've been lucky enough to have little conflict here, as most are not so cocky that we think our answers are always right and our way is the only way. Since we treat each other as equals, we can disagree (and often do), but we still treat each other with respect.

Since you've been here, your contributions have mostly been about causing conflict and being abrasive rather than contributing to the greater knowledge of the collective. I don't know why that is, but wouldn't it be a more intelligent plan to perceive our similarities instead of our differences?

If you thrive on conflict, so be it. I would just ask that you do it respectfully (as the rest of us do). Respect garners respect.

My $.02.

Play. Just play.

I think gimme would be happier if creativity in general were squashed and we all fell in line and paid our taxes without question.

Well, after all, he doesn't need you or anyone else to tell him that he's wrong and you're right.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived