Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Mac Users

Chad Thorne

I think I get where Grif is coming from. He is talking purely about the hardware. That it would be cheaper to run the Mac OS for instance, on a less expensive machine (provided all the hardware is compatible with the Mac Os) originally constructed for windows than buying the hardware from Apple.

This is precisely my point.

Me, I grew up on PC's (first real computer was an IBM PCjr, if that doesn't date me...). I'm comfortable with the NT architecture, and I'm very comfortable with Linux, so shifting to Mac OS isn't a big deal.

I'm saying that, if you use an Intel-based motherboard (no AMD, unfortunately) then you can actually mimic the exact hardware that goes into a Mac, and you can do so at a cost savings of anywhere from 40-70% (as evidenced by my above breakdown) and still get your Mac OS for a mere half an hour extra of work beyond your assembly time (which, for those of us who are familiar with building systems, is a mere 15-20 minutes in and of itself)

It's not about which OS is superior, it's about simple economics. Do you know how to put a computer together? Yes? Can you follow some simple instructions? Yes? Then you can have your Mac without getting reamed at the Mac Store.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived