Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gerry Rafferty RIP

The Geoff

Sorry to hear this. Rafferty & I were contemporaries in the Paisley music scene - same age. I first came across him when he was front for The Maverix and they & my band (The Original Corvettes - search for them on Youtube) appeared in the local Renfrewshire heats of the Daily Record MacBeat Competition (Scotland's answer to The Beatles!!!) in Paisley Town Hall in, I think, 1964 where they won the heat & we didn't(!).

He undoubtably felt the influence of his environment especially in Stealer's Wheel album 'Ferguslie Park' (where I taught for several years).

My last info was from a mutual friend who told me that his health was 'wrecked', but I hadn't realised it was that far gone.

RIP Gerry.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geoff, sorry to hear that this is a personal loss for you.

I remember how joyful I was as a teenager any time his music came on the radio. Whether on the school bus or at home. I would even call his songs in as requests.

I thought of Stealer's Wheel as almost a marriage of Jethro Tull, Cat Stevens, and Steely Dan. In later years though, I had trouble tracking down (in stores -- I don't often order on-line) recordings.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived