Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Flat Wound String Tension

Ron G

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did this search @ juststrings.com a couple of years ago. These will be for the G,D,A,E strings.

D'Addario Chromes:

.045 = 45.7 lbs

.065 = 52.0 lbs

.080 = 43.7 lbs

.100 = 38.4 lbs

D'Addario ECB80:

.040 = 37.6 lbs

.060 = 45.2 lbs

.075 = 36.4 lbs

.095 = 35.2 lbs

Thomastic Infeld Jazz Flats:

.043 = 37.03 lbs

.056 = 37.47 lbs

.070 = 31.30 lbs

.100 = 34.39 lbs

The TI's play like butter, and sound great! I have them on two basses and a set of D'Addario ECB80's waiting to try out. I may swap the D'Ads out early for one of the TI sets because they last forever and I want to see what the ECB800's are like.

Prices w/o shipping from two years ago were $28.91 for the Chromes. etc, and $53.44 for the TI's.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I ordered a set of GHS flats (45,60,75,95). The price of flats makes it hard buying set after set to find the right ones.

But the good news is once you find a set you like, you just leave them on forever.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

For the record, at about the time I did this search I was PM'ing Rocky, asking him about flats. I was considering TI's at the time and he told me he liked the Chromes about the same as the TI's, which led me to take a closer look at them.

I ended up getting a great deal on the TI's from a friend who bought a case of them, and that is probably why I don't have Chromes on my bass right now.

BTW, the D'A ECB80's are flats too, and I bought them because I thought they would feel about the same as the TI's.

The TI's are SO easy to play and they really do last a long time. It seems they sound the same as they did new, and it's been about 18 months since I put them on. I really like them on my PJ and fretless, but prefer rounds on my Jazz bass.

www.themojoroots.com

Listen I think the TI flats are fantastic but for the tension I like I detune one tone. Ron have you tried detuning to see at what point you prefer the new tension? This could save you money!

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Listen I think the TI flats are fantastic but for the tension I like I detune one tone. Ron have you tried detuning to see at what point you prefer the new tension? This could save you money!

Davo

I was thinking about tuning down a half step, but I ordered the GHS flats I read on another forum that they had less tension.

Haha... I was in that club until I tried a set of Chromes on my '87 Yamaha BB300. I'm sold... but they won't be touching my '94 MIM p-Bass or '03 Yammy RBX 5str anytime soon.

Which strings do you have on your P-Bass?

For the record, at about the time I did this search I was PM'ing Rocky, asking him about flats. I was considering TI's at the time and he told me he liked the Chromes about the same as the TI's.

A little clarification: I do like Chromes but definately prefer the TI's. BUT, when you consider the price difference, if you are on a tight budget, the Chromes are very nice strings. I use TI's on my "number one bass" because I play with an extremely light touch and the TI's are perfect for that. It is facinating that, the older they get, the better they sound.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I've got a set of D'Addario chromes on my (new) Fender roadworn Jazz bass and I don't find the tension to be that big of a deal. And I know, a new fish doesn't exist until there's photographic evidence. ;)

But this is also coming from someone who once strung a P-Bass with the LaBella Jamerson flats which probably have the highest tension of any bass guitar string on the planet. Those strings were like suspension bridge cables!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

For the record, at about the time I did this search I was PM'ing Rocky, asking him about flats. I was considering TI's at the time and he told me he liked the Chromes about the same as the TI's.

A little clarification: I do like Chromes but definately prefer the TI's. BUT, when you consider the price difference, if you are on a tight budget, the Chromes are very nice strings. I use TI's on my "number one bass" because I play with an extremely light touch and the TI's are perfect for that. It is facinating that, the older they get, the better they sound.

Rocky

I remember that conversation, but left out the part about price difference because I thought my post was already a bit lengthy. Thanks again for that help Rocky!

www.themojoroots.com

Rocky,

Yes, the Boone County hams are still great. Mid Missouri has several families/companies that produce excellent hams.

Also, I play with a lighter touch on my PJ because the TI's want me to play that way, and I DO like them more as they age. :smile:

www.themojoroots.com

I have TI flats on my Yamaha BB400 and Chromes on my SX Jazz. I have been playing the Jazz exclusively in my new band and I really love the sound and feel of them.

The TIs are such a surprising string, not just because of the low tension, but the brightness and sustain was just so unlike any other flats I had experienced. They are definitely spendy but as they are unlikely to ever "wear out" and in fact seem to improve with use, if it's the sound one is after, it is money well spent.

Cheers!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I have something interesting to report about string tension.

I have a Jazz bass and two other jazz-style basses. They all have the same kind of strings on them, but on one of the basses, the string tension feels much lower.

why might that be happening?

Smaller gauge strings? 34" vs 35" scale?

www.themojoroots.com

All three basses have the exact same brand and gauge of strings and all are 34" scale. They all have approximately the same peghead which gives the same distance from bridge to peg.

My vintage Fender has always felt that way to me....like it has less tension than other 34" basses.

It also has a much warmer sound than other Jazz basses.

The bass in question has much lower frets than the others...I've had a fret mill done a few times and there is not much left.

That may be why this bass feels so easy to play.

Yes that might be the reason. I've heard really good things about those TI flats and I'd like to try some but I will probably have to order them. Nobody in my area has them on the shelf. I've tried the Chromes flats and they were nice but yeah the tension seems a bit high. Especially if you're used to rounds.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Haha... I was in that club until I tried a set of Chromes on my '87 Yamaha BB300. I'm sold... but they won't be touching my '94 MIM p-Bass or '03 Yammy RBX 5str anytime soon.

Which strings do you have on your P-Bass?

Usually D'Addario XL Super Long .045-.100 roundwounds. Right now, it's a set of Dean Markley stainless steel strings, about the same gauge as the XL.

Archived