Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Connecting Yamaha P-series keyboards to amps

wetwonder

I used to, very briefly, own a Yamaha P85 (the older-style version)

The headphone socket DOES act as a stereo output jack - but it is a mini-jack, & VERY flimsy.

It also plugged in just below the keys on the front of the keyboard,

so was susceptible to being easily brushed-against/knocked etc.

This led to numerous occasions when the signal was 'crackling' at best, or cut-out completely.

The P95 uses 1/4" jacks, which are far less flimsy than mini-jacks, and they are recessed to protect them from being bumped into. This is one of the advantages it has over some of the Casio models which use the mini-jacks, unprotected, out at the side of the instrument, where it is very easy to bump into them.

Though I thought the P85 used 1/4" jacks in front too. Maybe I'm wrong, I never saw a P85 in person, but from this P85 picture at amazon.com, they look like 1/4" jacks to me (and recessed):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tiHKsvqyL.jpg

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks, I'm getting it now. And thanks for the link. And the P95 is what I'm looking at. They're only $550 new, and can be had used possibly. Eb#* has a P140 for $760 used so I'm thinking about that too. Oddly enough, that model doesn't have a 1/4" output. It uses line level outs, left and right. Very strange.

...I thought the P85 used 1/4" jacks in front too. Maybe I'm wrong, I never saw a P85 in person...

The one I had (I did say it was the older model) had just ONE mini-jack socket on the front.

The only way it was HALF usable was with an L-shaped jack - but even that was a nuiscance.

Gonna stick with my Nord Stage for now methinks :cool:!!!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

The one I had (I did say it was the older model) had just ONE mini-jack socket on the front.

Ah. When you said older version, I thought you were referring to the P85 as an older version of the P95, I wasn't aware there was more than one version of the P85.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I picked up a brand new P85 for $355 shipped, so I'm pretty satisfied. I haven't been able to find out if the outputs on it are 1/4" or 3/8" - oddly the size isn't mentioned in the manual specifications. What the heck is the specs page for if not for something like that.

I picked up a brand new P85 for $355 shipped, so I'm pretty satisfied. I haven't been able to find out if the outputs on it are 1/4" or 3/8" - oddly the size isn't mentioned in the manual specifications. What the heck is the specs page for if not for something like that.

The P85 has two 1/4" headphone outputs located on the front left edge of the keyboard.

The P85 has two 1/4" headphone outputs located on the front left edge of the keyboard.

Oops. I meant to say 1/4" or 1/8 instead of 3/8. I'm very relieved to hear that it is 1/4" Thanks very much for the word.

That was my understanding as well. But 6 messages above yours, jscoey says he had a P85 with 1/8" jacks. So either he's mistaken or there was an earlier generation P85 with different jack. Yeah it sounds unlikely, but every now and then, things like that happen.

Jscoey, are you *sure* it was a P85?

That was my understanding as well. But 6 messages above yours, jscoey says he had a P85 with 1/8" jacks. So either he's mistaken or there was an earlier generation P85 with different jack. Yeah it sounds unlikely, but every now and then, things like that happen.

I've never seen a P85 with mini (1/8") jacks... all P85s that I've seen have been exactly like the P95 (the only real physical difference between the 85 and the 95 is the flat pieces of metal that now allow the 95 to go on an X-stand, whereas the 85 had recesses on the bottom that prevented that (or at least made it more challenging).

Note that Joey is in the UK, where there may have been model differences... and he does say "older version", which I'm not aware ever occurred, so I'd guess it's earlier than an 85.

the only real physical difference between the 85 and the 95 is the flat pieces of metal that now allow the 95 to go on an X-stand, whereas the 85 had recesses on the bottom that prevented that (or at least made it more challenging).

The other notable physical difference is that the 95 has a matte finish to the black keys. It's quite nice, really. (It also has beefier speakers, in case anyone is curious.)

Ooops, my mistake... :facepalm: - the version I had was the P70,

which was followed by the P85 which, in turn, was replaced by the P95.

I obviously got my time-line mixed up here, so apologise for any confusion :crazy:!

Just to confirm, tho', the P70 did have those annoyingly flimsy mini-jacks as the output to amp source.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

So what is the 'connect to an amp' consensus? use a mixer or what?

please advise!

Not sure what the confusion is. Either way will work.

The only caveat is that the headphone output is amplified, so you run the risk of overdrivimg the input stage of whatever you plug it into, so be careful of the volume you set the keyboard at lest you overdrive the input.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a PSR many years ago with only the headphone out that was also the line out. Nothing else. The only problem was controlling background hiss/noise, and that was fixed by cranking the keyboard's volume higher to generate a higher signal-to-noise ratio.

In other words, turn down the louder keyboard signal to squash the hiss/noise. It worked nicely.

If only I could have turned down the g*****ist.

• 4 years later...
I bought the P95B on blowout sale from MF for $400. Closeout, so it couldn't be returned. The headphone output sums up both channels when a mono guitar type cable is used, no problem there. The sound? ATROCIOUS. Amazingly bad. Doing an A/B comparison with the piano sounds in my vintage Roland JV1010 module, the 95 manages to make the 1010 sound far better - which is ridiculous. The sound through an amp is so harsh, so upper-midrange-y, as to be useless. Then I play it through the little internal speakers or headphones and it sounds great. *sigh* Time to try and flip it on Craigs...

Ditto on what was said about the P-120. 1/4" connectivity on the side and dual headphone outputs I believe. Much better connectivity than the 140. If you can be patient they do pop up on the auctions. "Stole" mine on a "buy it now" for just over $200 a few years back. Happy camper here.

(There was a war here sometime ago about the P120, ugly stuff.)

Archived