Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Low B Stringing Problem

The Se3ker

I was trying out some Ernie Ball Slinky 5's on my new bass that has a Badass V Bridge, and I ran into a bit of a problem. The wrap on the low B string about an inch before the ball end caught in the opening at the back of the bridge as I was stringing it, and the string wont slide all the way in. I tried brute force (as brute as I'm willing to be when handling my bass) but it won't budge. Any suggestions on what I could do? Also, has this happened to anyone before, particularly with slinkys? I've never heard any sort of warning saying not to put them into Badass Bridges. Could the string just be wrapped incorrectly? All of the other ones went in and I was able to string up without a problem. The gauge of the low B is .130, by the way. Thanks for the help!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah those pesky B strings. Unless you switch to a thinner gage or go with a taper wound string I'm afraid you're going to have to drill out the hole a bit. remove the bridge before you do it to avoid nicking the bass then reinstall it. I've had to do just that with one or two of my basses.

My Warwick has a slotted string seat and for that I've had to take a pliers and sqwish the wrap to get it in there. Then I switched to a taper wound B. No more string insertion problems as well as intonation problems I was having.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

When I string with a .130 B string I'll occassionally run into this problem, too. Drilling that hole out just a tiny bit will suit your purposes pretty well. A .128 B string could work for you, too.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Thanks for all of the advice! Fortunately I tried pushing it in again (with my palm rather than my thumb) and it just happened to go in all the way. But yeah, I'll be trying another brand of strings out next time. This is my first 5 string so I want to experiment and find what works best, anyway. I'll probably use pliers to tighten the wrap if it happens again rather than boring out the hole in the bridge a little more.

I use Ernie Ball 5 String Slinky Regular on my Yamaha RBX765A all the time. No problems.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

I've heard of people boring out the 'B' hole slightly to fix this very problem.

G.

Good thing it's not the A string!

Ouch!!!!! :o

:D

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Archived