Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Multi-Effects Pedals vs pedal arrays- suggestions?

RocketRobinson

I play clean bass, band does mostly clean rock and country, no metal. Amp already has overdrive. I was thinking about adding a pedal to explore effects, mostly wah for funk, but would be nice to have octave splitters and chorus. I can build up a pedal board at great cost, but was considering the Boss ME 20B. I have heard one bad thing about it: that you loose tone even when playing straight thru the pedal. Any feedback on it, or other suggestions (even to skip multi-effects altogether) welcome. This would be for live performance use, mostly clubs in the winter, festival shows in the summer. Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on what you "need" and what you're after.

Personally, I prefer to have 5 $125 pedals that do exactly what I want over one $200 multi-effects pedal that does most of what I kinda want.

Are you gigging regular? In one or more established local bands? Playing larger venues (outdoors, upper-end clubs)? Studio work? Buy the pedals.

If you're hanging out in the garage with a bunch of wannabes, playing "musical members", playing the corner bar for drinks, or just plain don't have the scratch, get the multi.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Happy Thanksgiving!

For any particular effect, a pedal sounds better than a patch on a multi-effect, with time delays (reverb, echo, delay being an exception.

If your pedal, whether it be a single effect or a multi-effects unit, has a true bypass you eliminate the problem of sound degredation caused by going through pedals, at least when you aren't using it.

You can get a loop pedal which bypasses everything. I've got one on my pedalboard.

The easiest way to avoid problems caused by using pedals is to not use any. My elaborate pedalboard stays in the garage most of the time.

I use an old Bass POD(the 1.0 version) for the tuner and the effects. I have four presets that I use and one of those four button switches that hooks up with a Cat 7 cable. Mostly, I use a patch with some compression, but I have one with some distortion and chorus I use for soloing if I need to, and a clean patch with chorus & compression for slower things. I like how it fills things out in a three-piece band format. I also have a patch set up with an auto wah/envelop follower, but I don't use it much.

I don't use many effects, so the POD has everything I need, and more besides if I ever want to use them. The ones I do use in it give me what I want, and they sound really good to me. The tuner is chromatic and works great. And, the whole thing cost me less than $100, including the footswitch. I don't think I can do better than that.

The trick with multi-effect units is not to get too wrapped up in programming them, like trying to have an individual patch for every tune, or trying to use everything in it just because it's all there. Keep it simple, and a multi-effect unit can be very cool.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

The trick with multi-effect units is not to get too wrapped up in programming them, like trying to have an individual patch for every tune, or trying to use everything in it just because it's all there. Keep it simple, and a multi-effect unit can be very cool.

+1

I have an older Zoom B1X multi effects pedal that I have just the basic effects I need programmed into it along with a little compression. The effects are pretty decent though maybe not the best but it was cheap.

The upside to multi-effects pedal is the space saving and the absence of all the patch cables. The downside is the panning through the patches to get to the one you need so there's a bit of planning involved.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Can one "detune" with a multi? I would rather leave my basses tuned to A 440 than have to detune for the classic rock project and back up for the modern rock one. I just need a half-step.

Obviously, I can get my hands on one for cheap (they are all over CL). It just might be worth it to have on just for that.

Can one "detune" with a multi? I would rather leave my basses tuned to A 440 than have to detune for the classic rock project and back up for the modern rock one. I just need a half-step.

Obviously, I can get my hands on one for cheap (they are all over CL). It just might be worth it to have on just for that.

Odly enough my Zoom pedal claims do this although I don't know how successfully. I haven't really tried this.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I'm surprised no one has chimed in with "learn to play detuned and play one fret up" yet.

Given the choice of using a 5 string bass, I can't see the reason to detune. Even on a 34" scale the strings are tighter and the notes clearer.

....and, uh, you're 'one fret up'.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Rocket - I've used the Line 6 Bass Pod for years at church and I use the clean sound mostly (manual mode).

I DO own the Sansamp Programmable DI and like it. You can color your sound with these as much or little as you want. MXR, Hartke, and Radial have DI units as well.

The box I use most now is a BBE Sonic Stomp. It's different, very clean!

SNF - Is your Ibanez the BTB? I'd like to try out the new 5 string Precision, and the Mexican Jazz V is nice too.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Odly enough my Zoom pedal claims do this although I don't know how successfully. I haven't really tried this.

You can do it, but I wouldn't recommend it for much other than detuning half a step or maybe a whole step. The tuning starts to get squirrelly much more than that, because it's not accurate. As a lark, I tried to push mine up a full octave and do some guitar-esque effects - and stopped when I realized I was nowhere near in tune with my previous tracks.... :freak:

I use a Boss ME-50B, and I'm quite happy with it. It does anything I'll ever need and all in one box. It also can run on a battery so I can use it to tune my bass sitting in a random corner without access to a power outlet.

Here's a pic of mine.

http://www.delusionalmind.com/equip/boss_me-50b.jpg

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

jlrush - 00 or 01 Millenium V. Shortly thereafter they went to the BXR(?) and the Cirrus became top of the line "made in Mississippi". Want to try out a Fender P-5, but not willing to part with the cash right now.

yourlord - my Boss TU-2 can run on A/C or a battery, or run ALL of other my pedals off A/C and I can use it to tune my bass sitting in a random corner. The plus side is my guitar player with the bad memory and the one with the bad battery can, also.

Rocket,

My suggestion is to get a used multiFX pedal for now. Mess around with the different options and sounds and such. If you find yourself diggin on a subset of effected sounds, then consider whether you want to get rid of the multiFX and get pedals for those particular sounds, stick with the multiFX, or get a higher end multiFX. Even if it's not the greatest multiFX that you start with, you should be able to get a sense of what effects you like the best and then work from there.

I use separate pedals. I'm quite pleased with the ones I've assembled over time. I don't use them lots, but when I do, I really enjoy it.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Thanks- I am looking at the Boss ME 50B as well. I also play guitar and have amassed an analog pedal board for guitar, but while some translate to bass, most don't. I don't anticipate using bass effects much anyway. I understand it's a tradeoff.

Lot's of good advice on this forum. Thanks to all that have contributed to mine and other posts. Rocket www.frecklesbrown.com

Timely. I just bought an Alesis multi-effects pedal last night for stupidly short money, which is half the reason I bought it. The other half was to annoy my guitar player. It may be great, it may suck, but I'm looking forward to playing with it.

Ideally I'd say separate pedals, though.

I have a Zoom B2.1u that is very cool at home for messing around. I found some tones I like and locked them in. When using it live, most seemed to get lost and meaningless.

I use a Morpheus Droptune pedal that works well. We already tune down a half step. We drop down another 1/2 on a few tunes to help out the vocals. If I drop down any further it does not track well.

I play guitar as well and lately have been trying to discover pedals that work well with both. One that I found, that I liked was an Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah. Also, one I scored cheap and worked nice was an old Electro Harmonix Small Stone, but sometimes a little noisy. Still working on an Overdive that I like for both, but no luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have a boss multi effects pedal, the big red one. i don't use it though. in the 1 band where i can actually use effects, i'm on all separate pedals. each pedal is distinct. each manufacturer has it's own sound and each pedal from them has it's good and bad points.

i've been doing this for years and it is the same process to choose what you like as it is to "find your sound"whether that's an amp, axe or technique.

i would recommend get what you like for now and realize you will most likely add to or replace what you have in the future.

after 35 years of playing, i'm finally at the point (mostly) where i can walk into a store and realize everything i have is as good or better than what they have. of course when something new comes out that peaks my interest, i will check it out.

this is really a never ending process.

B

this is really a never ending process.

Amen!

I am a hopeless pedal junkie, I have just learned to accept and live with it.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived