Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

design a PC for digi002 rack

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by D Man: [b]Well, for starters I'd check out Digi's hardware requirements [url=http://www.digidesign.com/compato/xp/002rack/]here[/url] .[/b][/quote]You mean the completely out of date list, that eveyone has been bitching about at the DUC?

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

[quote]Originally posted by Henchman: [b] [quote]Originally posted by D Man: [b]Well, for starters I'd check out Digi's hardware requirements [url=http://www.digidesign.com/compato/xp/002rack/]here[/url] .[/b][/quote]You mean the completely out of date list, that eveyone has been bitching about at the DUC?[/b][/quote]Sorry. Last time I try to help around here...

Guys, guys... let's all take a deep breath, okay? :) There's a hardware requirement list on the Digidesign site - the link is given in this thread... but it is a bit out of date. Which on one hand is understandable, considering that new hardware comes out all the time and no MI software company has the resources to test every possible hardware config. But should Digidesign update it? Yup. It's TOO out of date. However, the thread I linked to gives you USER system support. It's a HUGE thread, with lots of information. Fast, affordable and most of all STABLE systems are specified, with lots of input and help available. It's probably the best available PC resource for designing / building a PT LE host computer. I'm using a: Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo Athlon XP 2700 CPU / Volcano 9 CPU cooler 512 MB (256 X 2) Samsung PC3200 RAM No name, el cheapo VIA chipset IEEE 1394 PCI card (the onboard firewire with the A7N8X Deluxe is not compatable with the 002) ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128 MB dual head video card. 60 GB C, 80 GB D (audio only) drive - 7,200 RPM's. Raidmax 430 W dual fan power supply Sony 40 X CD-RW Pinnacle 4X DVD+/-RW ...and it smokes. I may add a faster CPU or just upgrade the whole thing once the faster CPU's are more readily available (and once PT becomes a 64 bit app ;) ). Anyway, what's your budget?

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]I'm using a: Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo Athlon XP 2700 CPU / Volcano 9 CPU cooler 512 MB (256 X 2) Samsung PC3200 RAM No name, el cheapo VIA chipset IEEE 1394 PCI card (the onboard firewire with the A7N8X Deluxe is not compatable with the 002) ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128 MB dual head video card. 60 GB C, 80 GB D (audio only) drive - 7,200 RPM's. Raidmax 430 W dual fan power supply Sony 40 X CD-RW Pinnacle 4X DVD+/-RW ... [/b][/quote]How much did you pay for the whole system??

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Sorry I get out of topic a little bit... but I was wondering... "to rack or not to rack"... that's the question! Is it worth it to spend more for the 002's control surface? Or is it better to just buy the rack, save some money and later on get an external controller, if needed? For all you cats with 002s and 002Rs... what's your point of view?

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

The system cost a bit - but when I designed / built it, it was state of the art - which means you pay a premium for having the fastest CPU, newest mobo, etc. Those same parts are available for much less today. A good place to check for prices is http://www.pricewatch.com , and a mail order dealer I recommend is http://www.newegg.com I would imagine you could build my system today for under a grand. *********************** As far as the 002 vs. 002 R, it really depends. Personally, I prefer having the faders available, and wouldn't want to be restricted to mixing with just a mouse, but some people prefer the mouse - to each their own, but I find things easier to "play" with real faders and controls. If you already have a good control surface (such as the Mackie Control Universal), or a mixer (such as the 01V96) that has a good PT controller implementation, then the 002 R can be a good option. And a good mixer can still be a useful thing to have for many reasons. It really comes down to what your preferences and needs are and what you already have available or what you plan on getting beyond just the 002 / 002R.

Archived