Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JMJ Amps

GreySeraph

Anyone got one? Anyone know someone who has one? Anyone willing to sell/give up one? Anyone got soundclips of one? :D

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't help you with the JMJ quest!

A Vox lovin' friend of mine sold his Vox AC30 after getting a very excellent, very Vox-ish Cornell; and 65 Amps seems to have some great Vox-flavored models. And Paul McCartney's stage includes Divided x 13 amps of the Vox persuasion...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Awh. I just want a JMJ so badly :(

I see that you still can't order a JMJ-30...

Doesn't this or this look to be pretty similar in topology? Very likely equal or better in quality, too...

A Cornell out Voxed my friend's Vox AC30TB with AlNiCo Blues, I'm tellin' ya...

I dont know man. I've heard several AC copies and nothing has ever compared to my buddy's JMJ. He's got it running through a 412 with scumback greenbacks and it sounds soooo bitchin'. I really want a good low-wattage amplifier to complement my Diezel (which has 180 watts, is very versatile and has HUGE headroom. It'll never get the awesome breakup of something like this though). Hopefully I can find a demo vid of a JMJ being played.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Sounds like the Scumback/greeny-loaded 4x12 was a good part of what you liked there; I'd think that you'd have to do any comparisons with other amps being plugged into the same. (Were those Scumback M-75's?)

If I understand correctly, part of the vintage Vox qualities that many JMJ owners are so rabid about is due to output-transformer "grind" and saturation. A little research into the OT's that JMJ 30's use, as well as the differences between their power-supply and output-sections and those of more "modern" sounding Vox-style amps, could help you find the sound and feel that you want in an amp you can actually have... That is, perhaps swapping OT's in a used Vox or Vox-style amp, and a little further tweaking, could get you closer to what you want with an amp in the hand, instead of pining for a JMJ in someone else's hands...

Or, you might try to find how much you can afford, that would be enough to convince your friend to sell you HIS JMJ and Scumback loaded 4x12... Good luck! Here's hoping he's a really, REALLY great friend! :thu::D

Now, a beautiful thing about getting a Cornell amp- Dennis Cornell is VERY dedicated and hands-on with customer service and support, before and after sale, even with those who've bought used Cornell amps. If you want a more "vintage" voice and feel as cited by many JMJ lovers, he'll help you get it one way or the other.

He's been that way, taking a very personal interest in support and service, with my friend, who bought two used Cornells, and one new one.

Nice! I might do more looking into the cornell amps for sure. I havent heard much about them, but a few trips to google wouldnt hurt :P

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Archived