Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Controlling softsynths in Garageband with my Electro 2?

scottasin

Ok, so my basic setup is NE2->M-audio Fast Track Pro->Apple MacBook. On the Macbook I'm running Garageband and (among other things) the demo version of GForce MiniMonsta (which never expires when run in garageband I've found). Triggering notes is really easy, its just plug and play, however, I really have no clue how to control various other MIDI parameters with the knobs on it. I'd love to be able to work the filter and whatnot as I'm playing, but I'm pretty much lost as far as how to do it... I even read some stuff in the Nord Manual, but it really wasn't much help to me.

Sorry if this has been asked, I tried searching.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the softsynth you're using has a "MIDI Learn" function (and many do - even freeware), then you just use that to map the knob on the virtual synth to a knob on your NE2. If the softsynth in question does NOT have MIDI Learn, then you have to read the manual/document that came with the softsynth that explains which knobs are controlled by which MIDI CC#, then program your Nord to use that CC# for a particular control on your softsynth.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Too bad there isn't a Mac version of MIDIOX, free software that would let you map the Nord's "channel controller numbers", aka CC#s, to the softsynth's. You'd still need the info about Nord CC#s (available online) and your softsynth's (which might use standard ones, in which case again findable online). And it's a geeky tool rather than the lovely "MIDI Learn" feature the denizen mentions above. That's best if your softsynth has it, but many don't.

Perhaps there's a Mac equivalent to MIDIOX, but I'm not aware of it. I doubt GB has midi CC mapping built-in -- they keep it simple to help differentiate it from Logic. Still, GB is a great tool and an excellent way to get started in home recording. For many, it's all they'll ever need.

Oh, which makes me think: if there's no MIDIOX, you might still be able to find a free or cheap VSTi or AU midi mapper. I don't know whether GB allows you to chain VSTi or AU units together in one MIDI stream, though -- again that might be available only in Logic.

(MIDIOX installs as a driver, rather than in the DAW, and allows you to modify the incoming MIDI stream before it hits the DAW.)

Well, I checked the midi control parameters for the softsynth and the Nord, and they are fixed on both, and pretty much incompatible. However, I did a little searching for something similar to MIDIOX and I found MidiPipe, which, although I haven't tested it yet appears to do essentially the same thing, as well as other stuff.

Also, I don't really feel like starting a whole new thread for this, but its kind of applicable here. Does anyone know if anyone makes a controller that is just a pitch bend/mod wheel set that can be used via USB? If I could get that my Nord MIDI controlling capabilities would be essentially complete.

Also, I don't really feel like starting a whole new thread for this, but its kind of applicable here. Does anyone know if anyone makes a controller that is just a pitch bend/mod wheel set that can be used via USB? If I could get that my Nord MIDI controlling capabilities would be essentially complete.

There are some suggestions here.

U1 | NP | NS3 | NE3 HP | K10

Well, I checked the midi control parameters for the softsynth and the Nord, and they are fixed on both, and pretty much incompatible. However, I did a little searching for something similar to MIDIOX and I found MidiPipe, which, although I haven't tested it yet appears to do essentially the same thing, as well as other stuff.

Cool, I wish I had a Mac to test it out.

In PC world, this MIDI conversion stuff is pretty much dominated by Bome's MIDI Translator - like MidiPipe, a more user-friendly interface, and specifically for the purpose of MIDI conversion - not a general-purpose Swiss Army Knife like MIDI-OX.

I use Bome's to convert the Sysex from the sliders of my JD-800 into CC to control softsynths such as CS-80V or VAZ Modular (very cool).

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Archived