Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic Acoustic Electric Question

Professor Monkey

I haven't been here in ages but I'm still dabbling a bit on my guitar. However, I've found that I enjoy acoustic finger picking significantly more than classic rock songs on my electric. I'm looking into buying an acoustic or acoustic electric.

The only concern is that it needs a pickup since I'm really interested in tapping.

Main question is: With a budget of 200-300 dollars, is it better to buy an acoustic with a soundhole pick up or an acoustic electric?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It kind of depends on the guitar, Professor. Buying an Acoustic/Electric is the path of least resistance, so to speak, because it's an all-in-one package. There are also some very decent Acoustic/Electrics out there, but I'd probably be thinking more in the $350-400 range, unless you found a good used guitar, or something at a blow-out price.

Having said all that, I also notice you mentioned tapping. I do a fair amount of tapping on my Electrics, and a bit on my Ovation Legend, but IMHO, tapping is better suited to the solidbody electric, and vice versa. If you still want to try an Acoustic/Electric for tapping, and fingerpicking, I'd probably try this - Ovation Celebrity

Good luck, and have fun looking!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I think I understand where your coming from with the solid body electrics and tapping. The reason why I'm looking into an acoustic rather than just using my electric now is because I also play quite a bit of finger picking.

I've seen those Ovation bowl backs but I've been quite suspicious of them. I've played a couple of those and a couple of acoustic electrics and I found that the Ovations don't seem to play any better (in any way). Take note that I'm still a fairly amateur guitar player and I don't have as good of an ear as you guys do.

I saw a couple of guitars at my Best Buy (weird I know, but it's setup just like a guitar center) and played some low end Epis and Fenders and found that they had an absolutely amazing tone, even better than the Martin I tried. I still have yet to plug in any of the guitars into an amp though.

WPsmith, I may be able to get by with a guitar in that range if GC offers that massive discount on Black Friday they did some years ago (20% off iirc)

Personally, I'd go with an acoustic with built in electronics.

I agree completely. Sorry, I've always had good luck with Ovations, but I understand a lot of players have never warmed to them. They do tend to have decent electronics in their mid-priced guitars, which is a plus.

Epiphone, Takamine, Seagull and Alvarez also have some nice Acoustic/Electric guitars, and GC is having a sale this weekend - I saw the commercial on the SyFy network last night. Good hunting, let us know what you find.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Cheap solid top or a bit more pricey laminated. Both being around the same price point.

In general, on acoustic guitars, a solid-top (though usually two-piece bookmatched, seamed down the center) is superior to any laminate/plywood top. However, a bad example of the former could be inferior all-around to a good example of the latter; compare them on their own merits, pound-for-pound and dollar-for-dollar.

You should contact Dave Wendler, aka dave251, a longtime member of the Guitar Player Forum here, and see if he has any guitars for sale that suit your mission-statement and budget. He not only makes his own entire line of electroCoustic instruments, he also sometimes takes used guitars of various brands and types, fixes 'em up, and installs his own excellent proprietary MagPi system pickups & electronics package. He can also install his MagPi system into a guitar of your choice, such as one you might send him. Any guitar that he's so done-up will play excellently and have a superior amplified sound. He's a real stand-up guy, too.

Just how "acoustic" does this acoustic-electric need to be? That is, are you primarily going to be playing this guitar "plugged-in", or "un-plugged"? Would a thinline acoustic-electric do it for you? How about a "hybrid", with both an undersaddle-pickup AND magnetic "electric" pickups? With a little luck, you might be able to find a good deal on a used Carvin AE185, which would be great for both your tapping and fingerstyle endeavors.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The reason why I'm looking into an acoustic rather than just using my electric now is because I also play quite a bit of finger picking...Take note that I'm still a fairly amateur guitar player and I don't have as good of an ear as you guys do.

Actually the way you play has little to do with the type of guitar you might play & the idea that you have some sort of limitation because you've less experience is not at all correct.

I think you might be best served by just going to whatever type of music store (avoid Best Buy, etc.---not because they're inherently bad ---though they ARE!---but because they will likely charge you more than almost any other source) is available to you & just playing some guitars to hear what you like. Sometimes we make more of decisions than may be warranted. Yu will, if you continue playing, likely buy another guitar so the 1st instrumnwnt you buy doesn't set your entire course.

I think that you'll find that any sort of acoustic guitar will work for you & if you decide to buy an electric or acoustic/electric model, just get whatever seems comfortable.

A small amp can be found for well under $50 or even $25 & the question of loudness (as it applies to neighbors) is negligible, really.

In the range of under $200 you can find a lot of very good guitars (both new & used), without going for something with an obvious flaw like a hole in the back

d=halfnote

Oh no. I go to Best Buy just because they're the only place that has guitars near me (I have a scooter, no car).

This isn't my first guitar purchase, d. I own an ESP EC-1000, a Squier Strat, a Yamaha Classical, and a Bass that I don't touch.

I also own a Fender Blues Deluxe so an amp purchase isn't necessary.

The experience is because I can't tell the difference between most guitars like you guys can.

Buying an Acoustic/Electric is the path of least resistance, so to speak, because it's an all-in-one package.
I have an Ovation Elite LX. I like it for the convenience as noted above. Also, it has not had any feedback issues in any of the places I've played it (where others have without feedback busters).

I am not a fan of the Ovations in your price range, though. You may be better off putting all your money towards as good an acoustic as you can and then just mic'ing it. This works just fine for quiet stages, like a coffee house.

In fact this is exactly what an exceptional local finger picker does. I don't recall but he may even play a classical/nylon string guitar.

Yes, there are all sorts of issues when trying to record a mic'd guitar. However, any pickup on an acoustic or A/E guitar is probably not going to give you the sound you want if you record direct. It doesn't sound bad if you put a bunch of effects on it, but then it sounds like a solid body so you may as well just stick with that.

Hmm thanks. I might actually be able to stretch my price range to 300-400 since I remembered I can try to bargain with GC. Especially since I can pull the "poor college student" card now :P

I'm really looking into the Seagulls now and I think I may just pick one up when Black Friday comes round.

Oh no. I go to Best Buy just because they're the only place that has guitars near me (I have a scooter, no car).

Dig... but I bet you could find a better source if you checked around.

THERE CAN HARDLY BE NO BETTER SOURCE THAN BB OR ETC.!

That's for several reasons but no more practical than that those type stores offer no value !

A freakin' pawnshop might give you a better deal !

I promise you, Monkey, give me yer general location & I will offer you a "real musician" type store that will give you a better deal on what yer looking for (& within 100 miles).

PLUS user support after the purchase.

THIS ENTIRE TENDENCY TO BUY FROM CRAP---REPEAT, CRAP---STORES B/C THEY"RE "CONVENIENT" HAS TO STOP !!!!

TRHEY SUCK!

THEY PUT REAL MUSIC STORES OUTTA BUSINESS.

This isn't my first guitar purchase, d. I own an ESP EC-1000, a Squier Strat, a Yamaha Classical, and a Bass that I don't touch.

I also own a Fender Blues Deluxe so an amp purchase isn't necessary.

The experience is because I can't tell the difference between most guitars like you guys can.

:idk

Maybe you just don't think you can.

TRUST YERSELF!

Here's what a guitar buyer needs to consider:

[1]Does the guitar play in tune ?

Play a variety of chords up & down the neck.

Not fancy chords, just simple triads.

You want them to include open strings as well as notes frettted on upper frets.

[The reason being that intonation is best checked by "non-local" sources, that is, you want to hear the pitches across the greatest possible range.

Forget "harmonic" tuning, etc. JUST PLAY SIMPLE TRIADS]

You really have to listen to the notes & NOT give in to the temptation to play a lotta music; keep it as simple as you can b/c you want to hear the simple triads.

That's what will tell you if the gtr is well intonated & has been fretted well (which is something that can't really be changed).

[2]The next thing is whether the gtr feels comfortable to you.

Pitch & intonation are the most important factors but if the gtr doesn't feel good to you when you play it, everything else is irrelevant !

Those are really the only 2 factors that matter.

Later, when yer looking for a particular sound from an instrument, there are many things you might consider but ALWAYS the 2 things I've mentioned take priority.

d=halfnote

No no. My scooter top speed is 40 mph. I can barely survive on the normal roads haha.

I just went searching through Craigslist and found two deals:

1) Seagull Acoustic Electric (I don't know the model yet) for 250

or

2) Takamine G330S for 120

The reason why I don't feel that I can tell if a guitar is good or not is because almost EVERY guitar I play I really like. I suppose if I have like a good 3 hours I can try and just sit and play guitars side by side and knock them off slowly. I'll definitely take that into account next time I try out some guitars though.

SORRY , ESSE, I didn't mean to put you in danger of death BUT there's a real deal between what we sometime havta look at when determining optional purchasses...

I stand by my pledge offered before...

Tell me (via PM if you like) whee you are & I will help you find a better quality of dealer than you have apparently found.

THERE IS NO REASON TO KEEP SUCKING UP TO CRAP !!!!

d=halfnote

The reason why I don't feel that I can tell if a guitar is good or not is because almost EVERY guitar I play I really like. I suppose if I have like a good 3 hours I can try and just sit and play guitars side by side and knock them off slowly. I'll definitely take that into account next time I try out some guitars though.

I think this demonstrates that you simply love music!!!!!!!

What you need to do is just sit with any 2 of these gtrs at a time & play them.

Decide which you like better in each situation.

If you can't play them in the same context (different rooms/whatever)just think about how they seem to you.

REMEMBER: this is not them ultimate decision you will ever make, It's just buying a gtr !!!!

You will, likely, buy many more guitars !!!!

:laugh:

If you get a gtr that plays well; that inspires you,; that's all you can expect.

Most importantly, begin to trust your own judgement.

Hear what you hear; think about what seems important to you & forget whatever you think may be "correct".

[Otherwise you'll always be ripe for any salesman]

d=halfnote

generally, acoustic electrics that are cheaper than a grand are compromised in quality to their purely acoustic brethren because a lot of the money goes towards the pickup/microphone/piezo/whatever. If I were you, I'd probably settle for a decent acoustic if I could only spend that much money. If you're going to play a ton of acoustic through a PA or something with a full band, I'd say try and save up for something a bit more reliable. Yamaha makes some nice lower end stuff, and Taylor's lower end line starting at their 3 series is good. Breedlove has some decent things as well. Start playing guitars and see what works really.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

GS make a very good point:

IF you are lokking at a gtr that has acoustic response vs. a gtr that has acoutic/amplified response, make your decision based on the amplified response.

If you are looking for a gtr that has a genereally acceptable sound, unamplified, with which you will feel comfortable, juat pick one base on how it sounds.

If you are trying to pick a gtr that will somehow work for you many years into the future, after you have developed an ear far beyond what you or any reasonable person could expect at this time..., try the majic 8 ball...

d=halfnote

Hopefully I'll be a doctor/resident many years into the future and be able to afford a Taylor/Martin :P

I play just to entertain myself. I don't perform or do any recordings so I don't need a reliable gig worthy guitar. I baby everything I own.

I'll spend some time at the GC when I go back home for Thanksgiving and let you guys now how it all turns out.

Not in to tapping but I would always opt for the acoustic electric (you don't have to plug in and can still use a mic)...right now I've heard that the Carvin store in Sacramento, CA is closing down and having a half off sale..if you could pick up one of their top acoustic C980's for $300 or $400 you would have one great guitar...
Take care, Larryz

Takamine is a great Guitar. depending on the year some old ones play very well. but like the others have told you, it's ultimately up to the players hands and personal preference. I played acoustics for two years in stores all over the North east before I settled on mine.

so many guitars, so little time.

T.

Well I think I may be picking up a Breedlove 12 String Atlas Series AC250 for 325 dollars. Only 3 years old. It's either this or a new Seagull Entourage Acoustic Electric Rustic but I'm liking the Breedlove a lot.

So the question now is.. how difficult is finger picking on a 12 string? I've tried it when I go to GC and stuff but I only temporarily play so I don't know if it get's significantly easier over time or if it's just down right impossible.

The song I'm currently learning is Ocean by John Butler and he plays an 11 string in it. However, I believe he uses fake nails to play the song and I prefer to use just my fingers.

my suggestion. Keep going to Guitar stores and playing them as much as possible. You'll know when you've found it and it doesn't have to be the fancy name or most expensive. It's really tough sometimes that's why I took so long. I figured, I played my Washburn for 20+ years. I'll make sure I get something I like.

I really don't do too much on twelve string unless I am in a music store and pick one up to play "Wish you were here".

I do plan to get into a twelve string someday..good luck

T.

Archived