Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Running

Phred

Wow Dave those are huge numbers congrats! I think I topped out around 490 - 500, I'll have to check my log. My numbers should have been a lot higher, but my trail became wildly popular during the lockdowns, so I avoided it due covid and mask wearing. As a result it was more treadmill time which is not as productive mileage-wise as trail running for me. I did have a great October streak at another trail that is less popular where I was putting up 7 milers several times a week. That was awesome. I felt great all year and had no injuries thank God.

I'm thankful for what I was able to accomplish and same here, Dave, no goals for 2021 except to keep running. As my girl Kara Goucher says "I will run for as long as my body allows me". :)

Peace,

Joe

My goal around the beginning of the year was to be able to run a half marathon distance once a month or so. It looks like it took until June for me to start the streak, but let's see

Jan 3 (after this one I got a sinus infection that screwed up January and February and had to start my training over again)

June 12

July 10

Aug 14

Sept 4

Sept 11 (that wasn't my best idea but I'm still alive to tell about it)

Sept 25

Oct 23 - This one I submitted for the annual Houston Half Marathon, which is different than the January Houston Marathon

Nov 6 - I submitted this one for a Princeton HiTOPS Half

Dec 4 - Jeff Galloway Half Marathon

Starting with the June one, that makes nine in seven months and I'm going to do the half for the Houston Marathon in two weeks. All of these are virtual, which I'm fine with. I like running on my own time, not worrying about dealing with race organization or whatever. The only thing that might interest me about a real event would be to do a different course as all of these have been out and back and along a bayou here.

I just finished my 10 mile maintenance run this morning. This is my long run when I'm not trying to hit 13.1, and I do these long runs every other week.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hi folks. Great to hear of all your achievements. I guess I am entitiled to join in as I took up running last year as my lockdown hobby. I got a 'couch to 5k' app and diligently worked my way through it. Suffered a knee injury, rested it for a few weeks and then worked through the program all over again. I am surprised by how much I enjoy running, and how much I hate it if I cannot do it. But unfortunately I must have weak legs as when I do the 30 min runs regularly then they hurt afterwards and don't seem to work so well. I have therefore decided to go back to the beginning of the program (yet again) and this time I am going to be very careful. If at any point I get pain, I am going to stick to that distance and not increase it until my legs feel 100% normal. It is most frustrating as I have no problems in running these distances. It is only afterwards that I feel the effects.
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I'm far from being an expert, but my guess would be that now that you can generally do the runs, look at your form, or have someone else look at it for you. There may be something you could be doing differently or better. You might find some tips online as well. I like what I found from a guy named Golden Harper.

Also, make sure your shoes don't have too many miles on them.

Another thing you might consider is Run-Walk-Run from coach Jeff Galloway. Over there they call it "Jeffing"! :laugh: It's what I use. When I first started running I ran intervals until I built up to just running. Then I kept getting injured and having to start over. Then I tried Jeff's method and I still use it to this day. Believe it or not, you can actually be faster using this method than running continuously, because many slow down towards the ends of their runs.

Regardless of all that, congrats on doing it! Welcome to the club.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sounds a lot like interval training (running, or on an elliptical, or jumping rope etc)...go fast for a minute or two, then go slower for a minute or two, repeat as long as you can. Oddly my knee can handle that better than just steady slow running. Walking fast seems to doing a good job of wearing me out, and working at home I have the extra time that walking requires to give you a good workout :)

I'm far from being an expert, but my guess would be that now that you can generally do the runs, look at your form, or have someone else look at it for you. There may be something you could be doing differently or better. You might find some tips online as well. I like what I found from a guy named Golden Harper.

Also, make sure your shoes don't have too many miles on them.

Another thing you might consider is Run-Walk-Run from coach Jeff Galloway. Over there they call it "Jeffing"! :laugh: It's what I use. When I first started running I ran intervals until I built up to just running. Then I kept getting injured and having to start over. Then I tried Jeff's method and I still use it to this day. Believe it or not, you can actually be faster using this method than running continuously, because many slow down towards the ends of their runs.

Regardless of all that, congrats on doing it! Welcome to the club.

Many thanks Joe. The Jeffing method might be just what I need. Indeed the couch to 5 k starts with similar intervals, but it quickly develops into long runs with very litte, and then no walking (except at the beginning and the end). I like the long runs because I don't have to think about whether I need to switch etc and I can get into a rhythm (especially if I have music playing...), but maybe it is just too punishing for my body. The fact that you also suffered injuries (although regretful) is encouraging: it makes me fee a little less like a strange, fitness-resistant sloth....

I have added Jeffing to my to do list and I will try his ideas this year......It is nice that I can already see how well the method is working for you. :)

Reno Stirrat in NJ, a year younger then me and someone I consider an Amateur Elite runner for almost 50 years, has been using the Z8 Zero Runner from Octane Fitness to help recover from a chronic hamstring.

Here's a little Strava pic of him using it this morning

https://www.strava.com/athletes/16497479

And a short FB video of it action that he posted:

https://www.facebook.com/reno.stirrat/videos/10207856011434538

The Zero Runner has no impact and promoted as a superior alternative to an elliptical.

https://www.octanefitness.com/home/products/zero-runner/

Kara Goucher is an endorser.

https://www.octanefitness.com/octaneblog/2015/10/04/my-zero-runner-story-kara-goucher/

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515

So.....I tried one of Jeff Galloway (the coach Joe recommends) 's apps today. It is called 'Easy 5k - Run/Walk/Run'. I had to borrow an iphone to try it as I haven't got one. I have to tell you, this app is INCREDIBLE!!!

Its killer feature is something which I was not aware was even possible on any device: You can add a playlist of your songs and the app adjusts the BPM to match your running speed! It literally speeds the songs up or slows them down as your pace quickens or tires. The music sounds fine - no weird artefacts, no diseased, robotic sounding vocals. It was reading about this feature which made me go to the effort of borrowing the phone and installing the app - I really didn't think it could possibly work. But it does!

My dilemma now is that I have no iphone and this app is not available in the google play store. Can you think of any way in which I can get it to work on a samsung phone? Or have you come across something equivalent for samsung? I really don't ever want to run again without this app ever again. Having the music exactly at my pace is an absolute delight - as you all will appreciate. Makes running a million times more enjoyable.

As to Jeff himself: I was highly impressed with everything about his app inculding his verbal contributions. He was encouraging and made it more interesting. I am keen to work through the rest of the runs in the app. I am very hopeful that the run walk run method may be the means to allow me to continue running with (hopefully) no further injuries.

• 9 months later...

Yesterday was the 125th running of the Boston Marathon. The most prestigious Marathon in the world. Reflecting back to the historic 100th in April of 1996, I can't believe it's been 25 years !

While it was my slowest Marathon out of the 23 I ever ran (3:49,3:40 net time), mainly because of the log jam of 35K runners (before they implemented starting in waves) all competing for open space on a skinny two lane road, it was without a doubt my most memorable.

Some unbelievable feats yesterday. Shalane Flanagan-- she's attempting six Major Marathons in Forty Two Days at 40 years old. Her first completed four have all been well below 3 hours.

Then what's totally mind blowing !!!-- 2:46 at Chicago on Sunday and then 2:40 at Boston yesterday. ð² What a talent and incredible level of fitness. ð®ð²ðððââï¸

And then Jordan Tropf, an orthopedic surgery resident at Walter Reed, runs three marathons in three days .

On Saturday â 2:27:23 in Baltimore

On Sunday â 2:31:54 in Chicago

On Monday â 2:32:13 in Boston

Unreal.

Me in my prime racing years at age 43.

2360.thumb.jpg.f8587274775bd496214a63b72c2ac10e.jpg

2362.thumb.jpg.55b348d05e7adf7babaaeed2064f40cf.jpg

2005 NY Steinway D

I wish I could get sub-four hour times in a marathon, then I might consider it. Since it takes me about 2.5 hours for 13.1, I ain't going to do the other half in less than 1.5 hours.

I was hoping to get my half time down over last winter but things conspired against me. This summer, my half marathons have been a bit of s struggle generally. I'm not sure if it's just because I didn't ramp back up right after last winter, or lousy timing and hotter weather. But I've been doing them, dammit. :mad:;)

• 4 months later...

My running friends and their running club in NJ traveled to Atlanta this weekend for the USTAF (US Track & Field) Masters 5K Nationals.

They all placed well but I had to share this shot of this woman at 93 years young who just broke the World Record for the 90-94 age group in the 5K. Her net time was 51:46.  Needless to say, Wow !

274863539_10223642440743479_885625445096

2021 was my most challenging year in 44 years of running due to my worsening knee problems.

I've been back to running since Jan. 12th after a month off. After two x-rays and three MRIs in the past 6 months , they show I have severe osteoarthritis (bone on bone), along with two insufficiency (stress) fractures in the L knee. Not as severe in the R but enough osteoarthritis to hamper me.

I was able to get up to 7 miles this past Wed.. I'd been hovering around the 4-6 mile range. That was the furthest I've gone in 11 weeks. My sweet spot seems to be running maybe four days and between 15-22 miles a week right now. I've been supplementing cycling, walking/hiking and going to the gym working aggressively on legs and core to strengthen the area around my knees.

I met with the Sports Ortho Joint Replacement Surgeon at UCLA a few weeks back regarding a partial knee replacement. He advised against it at this time, as long as I wasn't having pain that was affecting quality of life issues.

I can run without pain,  just greatly hampered by flexibility and range of motion issues but no pain during running. Every run is difficult because of the gimping and slow pace but thankful I can keep it going. The Doctor said as long there no pain, continue to run ! I ice both knees religiously for 45 minutes after each activity and not taking any meds at this time..

Looking forward to a pair of time released cortisone injections on 3/4 that are relatively new on the market that are targeted specifically to address knee osteoarthritis -- Zilreta. Being optimistic that I might gain more range of motion and flexibility in the knees.

https://zilretta.com/

My Doctor also passed this article along to me.

https://www.howardluksmd.com/osteoarthritis-and-running-can-they-co-exist/?fbclid=IwAR05o92mkYIO9MzBsXpiplgh4kaPQ2E0vCBJRo0EQ17ublY4SQ2WVO-QLZ8

• Like 2

2005 NY Steinway D

I haven't been running in about three years.  Last one I did was about a 6-miler back in the spring of 2018.  Had to stop because the anxiety meds I was on at the time were really screwing me up--they drained nearly all of my energy and I gained nearly 80 lbs from them.  Stopped them cold turkey back in August of last year because they weren't doing anything except making me worse.  As soon as I was off of them I was able to start exercising daily to try to get my weight back down and to gain back my energy.  I'm hoping to get back into decent enough shape where I can start running regularly again, however I'm still pretty heavy and my core needs some major work--even a 2.5 mile brisk walk is giving my lower back some fatigue.  Slowly, but surely, I'll get there again.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Kurzweil PC88MX/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

• 2 months later...

Well, after power walking for the past couple of months, plus countless hours on my stationary bike for extra cardio, I went for my first run in about three years.  Did just under 4 miles in a little over 50 min.  13-minute mile pace, but considering that it's been about three years since my last run, I'll take it.  I found a few different loops around my neighborhood that I like, some have more hills than others, but I like having that option.

• Like 2

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Kurzweil PC88MX/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

Excellent job Justin, best on coming back.

Bought a new knee brace for the L knee that is bone on bone.

https://www.bauerfeind.com/b2c/Products/Knee-Braces/GenuTrain-A3-Knee-Brace/p/YPBF_BAK_GENUTR_A3

Didn't help my range of motion or speed but it felt like it was adding support to the tendons and muscles around the knee. I'll probably keep it. It can't hurt. I'm just grasping at straws at this stage.

As much as I dislike being on the bike, I have to add more days of that.

My 5 mile gimp around the hood this morning.

898CC061-1986-4C02-94E6-D0EAB4B11604_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

2005 NY Steinway D

Went out again yesterday morning, did the same 4-mile-ish loop, with a faster pace of about 12 min/mile.  What I might do to change things up, is alternate power-walking with running every time I go out, plus maybe some cycling thrown in.  Weather's getting warmer here in southern Maine, and I plan on taking full advantage of that.

• Like 2

Hardware

Software

Here's a question:  Can anyone recommend a good, affordable pair of split-style shorts?  I wore some 5"s and 7"s (both Nike) on my last two runs, and I'm not a huge fan of either one.  Short length doesn't bother me at all.  I already own a couple of pairs of Brooks (I think they're between 2" and 3") but as the weather gets nicer here, I'd like a few more.

Hardware

Software

Last time I looked for running shorts I only found ones that went to the knee.  Didn't want that length and pricey. 

Was at a Walmart and the swim trunks length was shorter and basically the same material as running shorts.

$6

There's a running shop a couple of towns over from me (Runner's Alley in Portsmouth, NH) that has some nice ones in stock, but they're either not in the size I'm looking for, or they're really expensive.

Hardware

Software

Regarding shorts, I've had good luck with the Sporthill brand. They've been around a long time and make quality stuff. These days since quality has generally gone down, the main thing is the durability of the liner. Just because you spend $75 on a pair of shorts doesn't mean they will last any longer then a $30 pair.

I order direct and alternate between these two pairs. Hand wash them in warm water with Woolite immediately after the run and don't put them in the dryer. Hang dry.

https://www.sporthill.com/outlet-mens-seattle-short/

https://www.sporthill.com/mens-clearance-hero-short/

Running Warehouse is a good place too with easy no hassle returns/exchanges. I buy all  my shoes - Hoka Bondis- there.

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-MRSHORT.html

My 5 mile gimp this morning up to Montrose Park with some loops of the baseball field and back home. Things are getting worse with the L knee, I was in survival mode the last mile. Very depressing. I guess I should get on the dreaded bike tomorrow.

B86F04E9-2691-407D-A847-C6F78262D671_1_201_a.jpeg

2005 NY Steinway D

Ended up getting a couple things from Running Warehouse, should be here within the next week.

So, I wound up going a total of 17 or 18 miles last week (my Fitbit isn't as accurate when I don't bring my phone with me, but I'd rather not anyway--it's too bulky).  Not bad for my first week running after a four year hiatus.

• Like 2

Hardware

Software

You beat my mileage this week. I topped out at 15. That's great especially after a 4 year hiatus.

Ended up riding the Moots on the road for an hour on Friday. Yesterday, I  hiked 5.6 miles in the Verdugos behind my house. A lot of steep up hill. And downhill which bothered my knee. See below.

Today I spent 75 minutes at the gym and probably did close to 100 reps on this thing. Did light weight (two 45 lb. plates) with both legs and then just the weight of the sled (118 lbs.) isolating the L and R legs. I keep trying to strengthen the supporting muscles and tendons surrounding the bad knee. Weights and the bike are all about I have at this stage to try and salvage my running. I'm not a water guy.

We'll get back to it tomorrow morning again.

Beaudry loop .jpg

Down Beaudry N..jpg

• Like 1

2005 NY Steinway D

I need to start incorporating some strength work myself.  I can handle bodyweight squats, but I cannot do a single lunge at all.

Hardware

Software

I have one bad knee (poor circulation from post-cancer leg surgery and radiation on that leg) that makes running painful.  Squats, nope, I wouldn't trust it to be stable but deadlifts are fine especially with the easy bars they have at the gym (that go around you instead of scraping up your shin like a regular bar).

For whatever reason playing basketball--mostly just shooting around-- doesn't hurt as much as even slow jogging.  Some of that has to be mental as you aren't thinking about the action of running (??)   This is on a hard outdoor court so it isn't due to a springy gym floor.

I actually enjoy weights and need to get on that leg press shown above.  

Above all I need to eat better.  It's difficult because my family keeps bringing "bad" food in for the kids and themselves and all it takes is one moment of weakness when it's around....

A couple of things happened today. Some new gear from Running Warehouse showed up. BOA singlet, and New Balance shorts, both of which were on clearance. Singlet has a snug fit, but that's fine with me as I prefer my clothes to fit close to my body. Shorts are perfect. They were advertised as 3", but I think they're actually 2", which again, is just fine with me. The shorter, the better.

20220511_132014.thumb.jpg.dc64df4b75aa2a2aa90bbf2ef5d8ea67.jpg

Next: Went for my usual 4-miles today, and wouldn't you know it, around mile 3.25, shin splint in my right leg. Bleh!  Had to resort to walking for a bit for that last 3/4 mile, which I was not very happy with, but I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I might do a power walk tomorrow and see how that goes, but I love working out so much that I can't go more than a day without doing anything active at all.

• Like 1

Hardware

Software

Instead of 3 hours on the piano, it was 3 hours on the bike today. It was my first dual workout of bike/bike, or run/run in many years, probably dating back to my early 50s.

Pulling back from the running for a few days trying to get the swelling down in my L knee. I'll test the waters on Sat. again.

Two rides on the Moots DR, AM & PM totaling 35 miles. That's a lot for me being a non-bike guy.

4418F3C0-E4B8-49C9-AD42-47998B623057_1_201_a.jpeg

1B2AA9F4-FD96-469C-BCED-AF548F7BC0A8_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

2005 NY Steinway D

I'm taking a break for a few days due to this shin splint that's been bugging me.  Took my bike out yesterday morning for about 30 miles.  Main problem I have is actually mounting the bike--I guess I'm just not flexible enough for the task.  The bike is a proper size, with proper seat height, and it's still difficult.

Hardware

Software

Dave sorry to hear about your struggles, I wish you well.  I've been clawing my way back.  My treadmill broke over the winter, I gained 10 pounds.  Then I started doing laps on the high school track at night whenever it wasn't snow covered.  Wore gear that got me down to 27F pretty comfortably with no wind.  Now that the weather is good I can go back to my trail - Columbia Trail in Morris County, flat, nice surface (granules).  I've lost about 8 of those 10 pounds but is has been a tough go, hardest stretch of running I've had in the 30 years or so I've been doing it.  But now I am back to doing 4 milers in the 41 minute range.  Good news is that I think I solved my pain problem.  I had radiating nerve pain across my collar bone and down my arms, doctor was stumped but ruled out cardio thank God.  I searched and found that stretching my scalene muscles (3 muscles on either side of the neck) minimizes the pain.  I was very grateful for that because running is uncomfortable enough without radiating nerve pain!  I didn't realize how much I would miss running or actually being a runner.  I hope to get up to a cruising range of 7 - 8 miles before winter time.  It's tough because between wife, kids, sports, house blah blah blah not to mention practicing, jams and gigs....I can only get out 3 times a week max.  Also ordered the drive belt for my treadmill, I can't remember if I replaced it or not, but the symptoms it is exhibiting are what you would expect from a belt slip.  If it doesn't work I'll get another treadmill so my baseline fitness never falls as low as it got this winter.

• Like 2