Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Running

Phred

I have a lot of friends that say "Your day will come. There are no 60 year old runners."

Google the names of Reno Stirrat, Benji Durden , Joan Benoit Samuelson, Ed Whitlock and Gene Dykes ( who is new to me), to name but a very few.

Ever heard of Marco Olmo? ;)

Another one is Jeff Galloway himself, who is turning 74 this year and one of the things he's been promoting lately is Running Until You're 100.

It seems that people who don't like running want to say it's bad for you. I guess they're trying to justify why they don't want to do it. My attitude is, if you don't want to, that's fine, I'm going to do what I want. The sad part is that lots of those people aren't doing anything for their own fitness.

I've posted in this thread before about my attempts at half marathon distance training. I'm happy to say that this spring, I've almost made it. I ran 12.5 miles last week, and I'm due to run 14 miles next week as the final long run before my "half marathon race." Unfortunately, it's starting to get too warm here for it, so it's a bit of a struggle. I figure that no matter what I do on the next two long runs that are supposed to be 14 and 13.1, I will keep up the long distance as much as I can over the summer and work back up to the half marathon distance again when it cools off. With any luck, I'll then have achieved the half marathon "race" in spring AND autumn. If not, just autumn will be fine. Maybe over the autumn/winter/spring I can maintain a longer long distance than over the summer.

But I'm pretty blown away that I've run 11 and 12.5 miles recently. :o

TommyBoy I had a fall last year that bruised me up pretty good, road rash on my knees, shoulder, arm, and shattered my Apple Watch. It didn't stop me from running, and it happened so early in the day that I was able to get AppleCare to send me a new Watch that arrived the next day!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Had a great run last night on my trail. I did my normal down and back 5 miler and then went past my starting point and back for another 2 miles. It was one of those runs where everything came together - felt great, perfect weather, and I had the time to do it! 63 minutes and change.

My breathing discomfort persists, but we've found that ibuprofens taken 20 minutes prior to the run all but defeats it, so that's good but I'd sure like to know what is causing it.

• 2 weeks later...

A little late to report, but I did it.

On Friday, I managed to finish my final "training" run before the supposed half marathon, which was 14 miles. It was tough, worse than I had hoped. I hadn't slept well that week, and the temperature was higher than any runner would have liked, as well as the humidity. When the wind is blowing out of the south here, that might feel good for a bit, but it's bringing in moisture from the Gulf and that's bad. Both leg hamstrings are still a bit sore so I will have to watch them for any future runs. They were complaining a bit for the second half of the run but I was able to keep going.

As I mentioned above, the weather here is getting too hot for long runs, so unless a cool front arrives just in time for the 31st, I'm done with the really long runs for now.

But hey, I made my goal! I've run (more than) a half marathon distance! :w00t:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks, Dave. There is no real half I was training for. My goal was just for me to do it. There's a half in October I might consider and/or the half that's part of the full marathon here in January. Otherwise, I'll have to travel north! :D

If the weather held out, I'd be doing the 13.1 distance as well on the 31st just for myself, but it's not likely. I just did a half hour run and it's 78° and 96% humidity. That was tough.

I'm doing Galloway Run-Walk-Run with 60:30 intervals, and I still go that fast! My running pace is pretty fast, and my walking pace is relatively quick as well. It's just the way I am. Trying to slow down my running pace doesn't work well for me. I feel like I'm "choking up" (meaning like baseball, not my throat) and that I'm tensing my leg muscles to go slower. So I just let them go.

Good luck with your knee. I'm glad it's one of those healable injuries vs. needing surgery or whatever.

I like the fact he recommends cross-training on alternate days. At the age of almost 66, I really should adhere to that , like bike or gym on alternate days. But what I should do and what is ingrained into me after all these years are two different things. :laugh:

Thats what i have been trying to talk myself into doing for a couple years now. Alternate days between running and cycling.

Running is both easier and more satisfying to me though . . .

.... Jeff /// Yamaha P515 /// Roll Tide

I read about the Galloway 60/30 intervals but maybe because I'm still half asleep, I'm not getting it. It seems a bit complicated.

Does that mean over 90 minutes you are running a total of 60 minutes and walking for 30 ? How do you know when to walk ? Did you keep track of elapsed time for the 14 miler, and if so what was your overall pace ?

I meant 60 seconds:30 seconds. You use a timer to tell you when to switch. He sells one, but I use an iPhone app. Lots of people have found that by using this method, their overall pace is better and more consistent. Where people who just run tend to slow down towards the end, those using this method tend to keep the same speed throughout the event, passing those who are slowing down at the end. He claims they report less injuries as well.

There are all sorts of ratios you can use, whatever suits you. He has a method called the Magic Mile where you time yourself on a track or a known mile to determine what pace to use, and but using some calculations what your pace should be for increases in temperature and/or distance.

Over 22.58 km (14.03 miles), it took me 2 hours 34 minutes, which comes out to 6:49 min/km or 11 min/mile.

I'll be joining Jon this Sunday at the Victory trail head at Ahmanson Ranch to help celebrate his 50 year anniversary of his remarkable streak. That's right -- 50 years every day ! :o

Seems you have to copy and paste.

https://www.lifetimerunning.net/2019/05/profile-jon-sutherland-has-run-every.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lifetimerunning%2FRnpi+%28Lifetime+Running%29

clonkable link

• 2 months later...
"It"

http://foru

Things are generally going well right now. Still wearing the brace for Runner's knee thing but more out of support then any pain.

Been regularly between 38 -45 miles a week, running 6-7 days a week for the last few months.

Ir..

Hey Dave, I am wayyy out of your league for running and piano work.

Some news here- my podiatrist fitted the feet with a custom orthotic. What a diff !

I just ordered a $140 pair of Hokahs- my podiatrist recommended.

we have major heat here in Discovery Bay. When the temp hits 90-95 degrees , that limits my distance.

I hope to pick up my modest distance when it cols off. My podiatrist is opposed to distance running. At least for me.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I was getting in some good miles until the heat started picking up here. I'm really looking forward to when it cools down (like mid to low 70s for starters!) around here so I can start picking up the distance again. Sheesh.

A neighbor and friend sold us a treadmill for $150 the other day. I tried it for the first time yesterday (not my first treadmill run, just the first time on this one) and I overdid it. My calves are really tight. I'll figure it out though. It may save my running in the Houston summers and other extremes when the weather deters me from running outside. Maybe I'll even be able to keep up long runs if I can stand to do the dreadmill for that long. Does anyone have any experiences or tips for treadmills they want to share?

I'm glad to see you're recovering, Dave. :thu:

"Running," HA! My knees have been largely toast for "a while" now. I ride an exerbike diligently, but if running was required to escape Godzilla, I'd be one of the first to become reptilian toe jam. You're a brave lot to keep at it. :o

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

The local Y has both treadmills and a actual walking/running track (around second story of a double basketball court), so I have the option of picking either. A/C in summer, some heat in winter. And, my particular health insurance has the "Silver Sneakers" program as part of the benefits, which the Y (and several other local places) accepts, so my only cost is driving to the place.

Even then, wife and I still walk around a circuit in the neighborhood that is about one mile. However, at our ages (78 and 77) we do between a mile and a 5K.

We do also have a moderately priced (at the time) treadmill that wound up in my shop for lack of another place to put it. Not nearly as fancy, but it does work (along with some squeaking).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

A neighbor and friend sold us a treadmill for $150 the other day. I tried it for the first time yesterday (not my first treadmill run, just the first time on this one) and I overdid it. My calves are really tight. I'll figure it out though. It may save my running in the Houston summers and other extremes when the weather deters me from running outside. Maybe I'll even be able to keep up long runs if I can stand to do the dreadmill for that long. Does anyone have any experiences or tips for treadmills they want to share?

:thu:

I do a lot of miles on the Mill. Watch a lot of Netflix. I use it when it is inclement outside - wet, cold or hot. It's a good surface. I don't really have the patience to do anything more than 3 miles on it, so I use it just to keep a baseline fitness level. Anything long I do on my trail.

They can be loud, so I use the close-captioning on Netflix.

• 2 weeks later...

Old guy and young dog did 14 miles this morning. ð ðâ

Out a half mile past Johnson's Rock in Hahamunga in La Canada/Pasadena and turnaround.

Started at 6:40 AM, didn't start feeling the heat till about mile 9 coming back on Berkshire. Definitely old guy pace - 2:37:58, 11:17 average mile.

183.thumb.jpg.638c741c727e15ba98b7e840d85c0596.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't happen often- only two other weeks this year - but was able to get up to 50 miles, running seven days. Six 7 milers, Mon.-Sat., and then 8 this morning.

Nothing over 90 minutes and done by 8:30 AM. So the heat wasn't too bad. ððâ

Can I do two 50 mile weeks in a row ? Check back next Sunday.. ;)

Two great deals:

1) my ankle has finally healed from being messed up by the severely oversoft #35 iteration of the Nike Pegasus, a shoe I"ve worn religiously for years (great for walking, though)

2) I"ve been enjoying beautiful early morning runs on a road trip in the Canadian Rockies.

This is a very thankful puppy.

With today's 13 miler and second consecutive 50 mile week , Lacy and I were able to get to 1328.46 miles for '19. We have 100 days left in the year. We would have to average 6.7 miles a day, or 47 miles a week for the rest of the year to get to 2000 miles.

Hmm.. with recovery days off and barring any little injury that might come up, that might be a tad of a stretch. We'll see how it plays out. ððâ

226.thumb.jpg.121f5c1b9abb12bfbab14ab567bab3ef.jpg

• 1 month later...

I finally found my new favorite running shoe. For now.

When I first started running a few years ago, I started with whatever New Balance shoes I had, I think they were 860. It turns out they were stability shoes. The first shoes I intentionally bought for running were Adidas Supernova Glide 8. I loved them. Some of that was probably going from a stability shoe to a neutral one. I bought a second pair in a better color (the first were black, the second were blue) but I ruined them prematurely by getting them wet and not drying them properly. They stank. I did everything I could to get the smell out but there were still whiffs no matter what I did.

The next shoe I tried were the Adidas Ultraboost. I had tried them when I tried the Supernova but something seemed a little weird about them. I did like the "sock feel" though so I decided to give them another try. They were okay but I didn"t love them. When it was time for a new shoe, I went back to the Supernova. Unfortunately, Adidas changed them to the 9, and I didn"t like them at all. They felt heavy and clunky. But the 8 were gone. I couldn"t find them anywhere.

After that I tried some inexpensive Adidas I found at the outlet mall, and Altra Paradigm after that. I didn"t love any of them.

Meanwhile, Lori seemed to like the Adidas Solar Glide or whatever Solar model she got, so I looked them up to see if they were the replacement for the Supernova, which was now gone from Adidas" lineup. One review on a site that I really like (solreview.com - they seem to be more than just regurgitating press releases for affiliate links like some sites appear to do) said yes they were Adidas" replacement for the Supernova, but if you"re looking for the Supernova 4 - 8, these only have some elements of those but not all. I thought, funny they specifically stop with the 8. They seem to like the same things in running shoes that I do.

I poked around more on their site and found their Best Running Shoe of 2019, the Reebok Forever Floatride Energy. In the article, they said it was "spiritual successor of the Glide [8] Boost." Wait a minute! The Glide 8 was my shoe! Even better, these shoes retail for $100 and searching around, some colors are being closed out for even less. I bought a pair of red ones including tax and they were $54. Guess what? I love them. For whatever reason, Adidas" subsidiary Reebok is now making great running shoes, as good as Adidas was making a few years ago but seems to have moved away from. The only negative I see is that they aren"t readily available in stores around here. I"m going to try the local outlet mall and see if the Reebok store has them. If not, I"m going online. Either way, I"ve learned my lesson and I"m going to stock up on a few pairs. I know running shoes don"t have an infinite shelf life, but I want a few pairs in case Reebok follows Adidas" lead and screws them up with a new model I don"t like. But I know I"m happy for a few hundred more miles, at least.

• 1 month later...

Lacey and I did 17 miles this morning. Longest run of the year and in at least 5 years, probably more. Definitely the furthest Lacey has ever run in her life ! Ran down to the Rose Bowl via street, and down the lower Arroyo a tad, past the Aquatic Center before turning around. Cool weather and clean air, great day for it.

Pace was old guy plodding but kept it where it was comfortable and I knew I could finish. As usual for this area- no shortage of hills. 3:11:10 @ 11:15 pace. ððâ

342.thumb.jpg.55ab0bc9af7fe6b334b6334b46079e9d.jpg

:2thu: Nice, Dave!

Yesterday I ran my first 12 miles in a while and it was tough. I think it's mostly because I've not been sleeping well and/or getting enough sleep lately. My legs were sore all day afterwards. But today, they feel mostly fine, so I know for sure it wasn't anything major.

This is part of my ramp back up to half marathon distance after losing it over the hot Houston summer. I hope to keep it up over the winter and see if I can keep it there.

• 1 month later...

With this morning's last run of 2019, an 8 miler, Lacey and I managed to grind out 1921.30 miles for the year. 78.7 miles short of my 2000 goal.

But considering a large part of April was lost to the Patella Tendonitis/ Runner's Knee issue and the reduced mileage in June because of the Cataract surgeries, it was a good year. ðâð

Based on the last 6 months, we're hoping to hit a little over 2100 miles in 2020, if there are no unforeseen power outages. :D

454.thumb.jpg.575338657f0f6d616eb170f4d2d54770.jpg

Nice job, Dave!

So far, this winter has been going fairly well. I run 30 minutes on Mondays and Wednesdays, and on Fridays I alternate between 10k and 13.1 miles. I'm hoping to keep it up as long as it stays relatively cool here, and hoping that by the time it starts getting hot, I'll be able to keep it up. I'm not holding my breath for that, which would be silly. Why would I run and hold my breath? :D

• 4 months later...

Lacey and I did our longest run of the year this morning. Hard to believe it's almost June and we're just getting up to 12 miles.

After a very good 2019, at least for me at this stage of my life, it's definitely been an *off* year. Between the time off for the left knee, precautionary time off for a chest congestion/ allergy issue -Glendale btw has the second highest covid19 reportings of any city in LA County - the recovery seeming to take longer between runs (feeling my almost 67 years) , and an overall lack of motivation , combined with the stress factor that everyone is going through.. This whole year has been a wash for me with regard to long runs and higher mileage. Listening to my body, I'm also taking many more bike days then ever.

Maybe I can get more motivated and rally in the second half of the year to get in some longer runs. ðâð

1050.thumb.jpg.1e83d07fab7fc4cf54a0fb0caea44da1.jpg

• 7 months later...

I've had to give up on running...was feeling pretty proud of myself for working up to two miles (when I started, a half mile wasn't possible without stopping). My knee pain is just too much. I've had pain ever since major surgery and radiation 13 years ago for a tumor in my leg, and I have poor circulation in that leg due to cut and nuked blood vessels... Oddly, I can play basketball, where you can get breaks and can kind of "slide around" the court, it's just the steady plodding impact that seems to do it and it doesn't matter how slow I go.

No matter, I just walk fast and still get plenty tired :) Running definitely took more out of me (meaning, more exercise) than even fast walking but at least I'm not in steady pain (more than usual anyway).

If I do lose some more weight, I may give it another try, perhaps with different compression (I've worn lower leg compression ever since my surgery to prevent edema). Honestly I really should be doing swimming but I quit my gym due to covid.

Wow Dave those are huge numbers congrats! I think I topped out around 490 - 500, I'll have to check my log. My numbers should have been a lot higher, but my trail became wildly popular during the lockdowns, so I avoided it due covid and mask wearing. As a result it was more treadmill time which is not as productive mileage-wise as trail running for me. I did have a great October streak at another trail that is less popular where I was putting up 7 milers several times a week. That was awesome. I felt great all year and had no injuries thank God.

I'm thankful for what I was able to accomplish and same here, Dave, no goals for 2021 except to keep running. As my girl Kara Goucher says "I will run for as long as my body allows me". :)

Peace,

Joe

My goal around the beginning of the year was to be able to run a half marathon distance once a month or so. It looks like it took until June for me to start the streak, but let's see

Jan 3 (after this one I got a sinus infection that screwed up January and February and had to start my training over again)

June 12

July 10

Aug 14

Sept 4

Sept 11 (that wasn't my best idea but I'm still alive to tell about it)

Sept 25

Oct 23 - This one I submitted for the annual Houston Half Marathon, which is different than the January Houston Marathon

Nov 6 - I submitted this one for a Princeton HiTOPS Half

Dec 4 - Jeff Galloway Half Marathon

Starting with the June one, that makes nine in seven months and I'm going to do the half for the Houston Marathon in two weeks. All of these are virtual, which I'm fine with. I like running on my own time, not worrying about dealing with race organization or whatever. The only thing that might interest me about a real event would be to do a different course as all of these have been out and back and along a bayou here.

I just finished my 10 mile maintenance run this morning. This is my long run when I'm not trying to hit 13.1, and I do these long runs every other week.

Hi folks. Great to hear of all your achievements. I guess I am entitiled to join in as I took up running last year as my lockdown hobby. I got a 'couch to 5k' app and diligently worked my way through it. Suffered a knee injury, rested it for a few weeks and then worked through the program all over again. I am surprised by how much I enjoy running, and how much I hate it if I cannot do it. But unfortunately I must have weak legs as when I do the 30 min runs regularly then they hurt afterwards and don't seem to work so well. I have therefore decided to go back to the beginning of the program (yet again) and this time I am going to be very careful. If at any point I get pain, I am going to stick to that distance and not increase it until my legs feel 100% normal. It is most frustrating as I have no problems in running these distances. It is only afterwards that I feel the effects.
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I'm far from being an expert, but my guess would be that now that you can generally do the runs, look at your form, or have someone else look at it for you. There may be something you could be doing differently or better. You might find some tips online as well. I like what I found from a guy named Golden Harper.

Also, make sure your shoes don't have too many miles on them.

Another thing you might consider is Run-Walk-Run from coach Jeff Galloway. Over there they call it "Jeffing"! :laugh: It's what I use. When I first started running I ran intervals until I built up to just running. Then I kept getting injured and having to start over. Then I tried Jeff's method and I still use it to this day. Believe it or not, you can actually be faster using this method than running continuously, because many slow down towards the ends of their runs.

Regardless of all that, congrats on doing it! Welcome to the club.