Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Active Preamp Characteristics

The Se3ker

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in the distinct tonal qualities of different active preamps. For example, I've heard the Bartolini preamp described (in Bass Player magazine, actually) as being somewhat dark and midrange-focused. What are the unique characteristics of some of the other active preamps out there? I'm looking to get an active J-style bass with a maple fretboard and ash body, are there any particular preamps that would work particularly well with that setup? Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard much good about the Audere pre, both on this forum and elsewhere.

Besides that, as I have an outboard pre, I got nothing.

Good luck. :D

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

An onboard preamp should not color the sound when the EQ controls are set "flat". (Other than to remove cable capacitance tone-suck.) But maybe "flat" is a relative term with preamps just as it is with amps?

I put an EMG BQS in my main bass. I noticed no difference between it and the preamp it replaced with the EQ controls centered.

I too have changed the preamp in several basses.

When the controls are set flat, there was no difference between the various preamps. I changed because of the various frequencies and slopes of the controls when used (and once to gain an added mid-range control).

A lot of people like the Audere preamp for Jazz basses.

I've got Barolini preamps in three of my basses, so now you know what I like.

I had a Bart pre and it was not dark, maybe mid focused but in a good way. The Aguilar I have now is too clean. I have always preferred Bartolini.

I also used a J-Retro and Sadowsky. All have their "flavor" which is hard to describe.

Yes, J-Retro is another good choice.

You can also switch it out of the circuit which is a nice feature for a preamp.

There is a very subtle difference between the sound of a passive bass and the same bass with a preamp with the controls set flat. Some people can't hear it at all and some can.

I would also look at the Nordstrand pre.

Just because they produce brilliant PUs and so I imagine their preamps will be great as well.

Both Audere and Nordstrand are great companies to deal with.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Hi,

This would be expensive but if you can try the same bass with different pre-amps......(I begged and borrowed)

My choice for what you described (jazz bass with ash body,maple f/board) is the J-Retro. For me it's the only one that can give you a 'Marcus' as well as a 'Family Man' sound. Two extremes!

Good Luck

Archived