Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sadowsky M5-24 or Pedulla Rature 5 String?

PinStripe

I'm wanting a new bass and want to get one of the best quality I can afford. I have $3000 saved for a bass and am having a hard time making up my mind. I love the Sadowsky in all natural finish and the Rapture in cherry burst with all maple neck looks cool!

Any thoughts on this?

I like super low action as I like to tap and most of the basses I have had that are less expensive just didn't do the job the way I would like. I play in a classic rock band and need that classic rock look. I just got rid of my Am Standard 5 string Jazz bass as it had neck issues and sold my Musicman Sterling 5.

Any thoughts will be appreciated!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...I play in a classic rock band and need that classic rock look. ...

pick up a vintage sunburst P (or J) bass and an Ampeg rig...

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

How is an older Jazz any better than the new ones?

I own a MarkBass LM Tube 800 and like it a lot. I also have a VT Bass pedal that will give me the Ampeg sound if so desired.

Thanks

I own a Pedulla Rapture J2-5, in Cherry burst, but with a rosewood fingerboard -- it's been my main go-to bass for about four years now.

Very comfortable to play, and just killer tone -- love the Bart elex.

Can't speak to the tapping thing -- I don't do that.

Mine's a '97 that basically sat in a guy's closet for six or seven years -- I picked it up used for about $1,400.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww340/j_cadmus/Pedulla3.jpg

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I own a Pedulla Rapture J2-5, in Cherry burst, but with a rosewood fingerboard -- it's been my main go-to bass for about four years now.

Very comfortable to play, and just killer tone -- love the Bart elex.

Can't speak to the tapping thing -- I don't do that.

Mine's a '97 that basically sat in a guy's closet for six or seven years -- I picked it up used for about $1,400.

How did you decide to get the Rapture. I mean how did you learn about it and then decide to get one?

How did you decide to get the Rapture. I mean how did you learn about it and then decide to get one?

I was actually shopping for something else -- a Stingray 5. But my bass guy, who was looking for SR-5s for me, called and casually mentioned that the Pedulla had just come in and asked if I'd be interested.

One of those basses I've always wanted to own. Went over, had him tweak the neck a bit, played it for a half hour, and said "Don't wrap it up, I'll eat it here."

I was actually shopping for something else -- a Stingray 5. But my bass guy, who was looking for SR-5s for me, called and casually mentioned that the Pedulla had just come in and asked if I'd be interested.

One of those basses I've always wanted to own. Went over, had him tweak the neck a bit, played it for a half hour, and said "Don't wrap it up, I'll eat it here."

Cool... but what made you want to add one of these basses to your arsenal to begin with? Oh and what kind of music do you play?

I think of the two, the Sadowsky is the bass to get and the resale value (should that ever happen) is unlikely to ever go down. It's also got more of the classic rock look. Only those in the know (like all of us ;) ) will know you are playing a Sadowsky, everyone else will think you are playing a Fender.

Cool... but what made you want to add one of these basses to your arsenal to begin with? Oh and what kind of music do you play?

Well, I've always been a J-Bass guy. My four-string is a vintage '76 Fender Jazz I've had for over 30 years, and all my five-strings have been J variants.

I play mostly rock and blues stuff. When I want a more old-school sound, I go with the Fender. When I want a more modern sound and the extended range, it's the Pedulla. I'd say it's the Pedulla 80 percent of the time and the Fender 20.

I've always admired the Pedullas -- as well as Lulls, and Sadowskys, etc. -- all on the list of dream basses. This one just became available and when I played it I loved it.

I've also played a couple Lulls and they are phenomenal as well. I've never had the opportunity to play a Sadowsky, but I think they're awesome too.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with the choices you interested in. Jeremy may be right about the resale value.

Best would be if you could play both and then decide. Dunno where you live, but if you're close to me you're welcome to come by and take a spin on my Pedulla.

Hi Pinstripe! :wave:

I've never had the good fortune of playing either bass but a couple of folks on the forum own Sadowskys and love them.

Of course Will Lee has used Sadowsky for years and based on what I've heard come out of him I'd say a Sadowsky is a pretty versatile bass.

I suggest, if you have access to both, is to try them both out and decide for yourself.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Well, I've always been a J-Bass guy. My four-string is a vintage '76 Fender Jazz I've had for over 30 years, and all my five-strings have been J variants.

I've always admired the Pedullas -- as well as Lulls, and Sadowskys, etc. -- all on the list of dream basses. This one just became available and when I played it I loved it.

I've also played a couple Lulls and they are phenomenal as well. I've never had the opportunity to play a Sadowsky, but I think they're awesome too.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with the choices you interested in.

Jeremy may be right about the resale value

Best would be if you could play both and then decide. Dunno where you live, but if you're close to me you're welcome to come by and take a spin on my Pedulla.

I'm in Phoenix. Yah, I've read a few reviews that people have fallen for the Pedulla after playing it. But the re-sale value is terrible on Pedulla. Especially, the Rapture.

I can get a used Rapture in Cherry burst with a full maple neck for $1200. The Sadowsky is $2775 plus shipping. OUCH! I would have already bought the Sadowsky if I could find a nice used one for a good price. There is a new all natural M5-24 that I found, that I REALLY like! But I am having a hard time parting with the monies to get it.

No music store here in Phoenix has any Sadowsky's. This town is a dead town for music and even popular bands on tour usually pass up Phoenix. I really want to move out of this area, though I need a lot of cash to do so.

The Sadowsky is $2775 plus shipping. OUCH!

A great bass, I'm sure. But for the kind of money, they'd have to come to my house and tune it -- every day.

Warmoth parts are outstanding as a rule. If they are put together right, and the ticklish parts of the assembly are done by someone who knows what they are doing, it out to make you an outstanding bass.

However, do not expect to ever get the money you put into it out of it again. Instruments made from even amazing parts don't sell well.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

The Sadowsky is $2775 plus shipping. OUCH!

A great bass, I'm sure. But for the kind of money, they'd have to come to my house and tune it -- every day.

And play it for you, too, I imagine.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Forget 'em all and get a Dingwall .

Come on man... I wanted advice for said basses of this post. I don't like the slanted fret deal.

Tsk. Where's Davio when we need him?

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

What do you guys think about building a warmoth jazz bass? Are they really any good? I've heard some good and I've heard some real horror stories about them. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

This is my main bass just now. I'm happy. Like Jeremey I had it put together by a pro and picked out exactly the hardware and config I wanted.

Not sure it compares with a Sadowsky but it's a very nice bass at a fraction of the cost.

warmoth jazz bass?

Keep in mind that I've never played the pair of basses on your shopping list so can't compare. But. I had a Warmoth J bass, ebony fretless 5 string. It was totally sweet, totally rock solid, EMJ's in it sounded great. The neck was huger than huge and it was heavier than heavy, which is why I traded it. But they have more reasonable sized necks available. Truss rod never needed tweaking. Ever. Great fit and finish, sweet birds eye maple top. I'd recommend that avenue without question.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

How is an older Jazz any better than the new ones?

I own a MarkBass LM Tube 800 and like it a lot. I also have a VT Bass pedal that will give me the Ampeg sound if so desired.

Thanks

It was more of a lame attempt at humor than anything else. Wasn't the 'look' of the classic rock bands the sunburst bass with the two Ampeg (or maybe Acoustic) full stacks?

Anyway, welcome aboard and good luck on your bass buying venture. These guys will steer you right

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

It was more of a lame attempt at humor than anything else. Wasn't the 'look' of the classic rock bands the sunburst bass with the two Ampeg (or maybe Acoustic) full stacks?

Not lame. On target, and actually responsive to the interest in "look." And, yes, a sunburst P or J in front of an Ampeg stack (or maybe Acoustic) was certainly the standard for many a classic rock band.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

PinStripe -- go play as many basses of as many different brands as you can get your hands on. Maybe start at The Bass Place in Scottsdale. Figure out what you like about the ones you like and what you don't like about the ones you don't like (e.g., active preamp vs passive, neck profile, neck width, weight, body contouring, etc.). Then make a decision about one of the ones you've played, or else choose a bass model you haven't played but that seems to have the characteristics that you liked in the ones you did play.

Honestly, you seem to have pulled two names out of a hat -- Sadowsky and Pedulla. Both are reputable brands. However, just because many others like them, doesn't mean that you will, too. (E.g., Pedulla 5-string fingerboards tended to be pretty flat and wide, if I recall correctly, and that didn't really work well for me.) You've now added in Elrick and Warmoth parts bass.

You've mentioned the look of the bass, but said nothing about what kind of sound/tone you seek, and nothing more about playability other than writing about the ability to set the action low for tapping (which doesn't really resonate with the classic rock thang).

5-strings with a classic look?

-Sadowsky

-Lull

-Nordstrand

-built-from-parts Warmoth (as you've mentioned)

-...and others

Builders with 5-string models that approach a classic look, but are a bit more modern?

-Pedulla

-F Bass

-Benevente

-Elrick

-Conklin

-...and others

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

One more point.

You want the classic look, but you are talking about 5 string basses. These did not exist when all the classic music was recorded.

Our dear departed friend, Adrian Garcia, brought his 6 string to a gig with KC and the Sunshine Band and was told that he couldn't use it because it wasn't authentic for the time period. (of course, he remarked that wireless mikes and instruments and lowering the keys of the songs were not authentic either, but that's another story).

Lane Baldwin (known on the web as Lane on Bass) was handed a Fender bass on a touring gig he had and told that he had to use this bass because of the look of it.

I own a variety of basses and am careful to always bring a four string Fender the first time I play with someone, and I've had people say, "great, a real bass, none of that 5 or 6 string bass junk". Later I bring a 5 string, if the keys of the songs make it a better choice and by then they don't even notice what bass I have since I sound pretty much the same no matter what bass I play.

Just my two cents here, but I wouldn't buy a brand new bass unless I reaaally knew what I wanted.

That's an awful lot of money to spend on a bass because you think you'll like it. You can find a ton of high-end basses on the used market for a lot less than their new value, and as mentioned, can usually turn them over without losing money. If you don't have immediate access to some of these basses in the flesh (the wood?), you'll have to buy them before you play them (ie Talkbass et al). Good luck on the journey.

I respectfully disagree with you, Jeremy.

I'm the bass player. I'll decide what equipment to use. I'm open to suggestions, perhaps, but nobody's going to tell me what to use.

Unless, of course, they're bound to follow MY directions on what THEY use as well -- and I can guarantee you they won't like what I come up with.

But then, I'm not trying to make a living at this.

I was in the studio last weekend and the producer told me in so few words to use his '71 jazz bass. I put up little resistance because how many times will I be able to play such a beautiful instrument....

He also knew I brought 2 basses with me, my new fender American standard precision 5 and my ebmm bongo 5 string. After sitting through the "I don't record with active basses" rant, we settled on using the bongo as it sounded the best for these songs.

Beware of the headstock snobs....

Fortunately, I haven't been told to play a 4 or else. I tend to play fairly "normal" basses so there isn't a visual cue. I am a 5 string player. I have tried - unsuccessfully - to play less and will now follow my wife's advice (edict) and not buy another 4 string bass. I may not use the B on a gig - at least for low notes - but I do for most.

I also find that the neck of a 5 string is more comfortable. Maybe it's because I'm used to it or something else, but it feels better, so I pay better, so I hopefully keep getting gigs.

I think the Sadowsky is the better bass - IMO.

Archived