Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

need a quick opinion ...

Ross Brown

Just got a call (message) from the venue for tonight. We were booked from 9 to 12. We advertised the crap out of this show. Now they want us to only play from 8 until 10 then a DJ will be playing from 10-12. I dont understand..

The price I gave them for us was for 9-12. I said we would play longer just for the asking, no additional charge, depending on the crowd. We usually play from 9-1 or 9:30 -1:30.

Why on earth would they do this? When I talked to the first guy he said non of the other bands had any issues with this. I asked why am I finding out about it today of this is what you have been doing for the last three weeks? Silence.

I am waiting for a call back from the owner. If price is the same, what would you do? If price changes (downward) I know what I will do.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure I'd do it if the price remained the same. The DJ is on his own about his pay, but the guy who hired you did so at a price, and if he's willing to pay all of it, I would have no problem with it.

Because you have advertised the stuffings out of the time and place, I would make it a point to announce from stage at least once a set that there had been a last minute change in the line up and go on to give the details, "Due to a last minute line-up change, DJ Whoever-The-Heck will be rockin' the steel wheels from 10-12, so y'all who dig disco are in for a treat!", just to make sure the people who came to hear us would be aware of the reason why they won't.

But if the guy is willing to pay the same agreed-upon fee for less work, I can see why none of the other band would have a problem with it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Getting paid is better than not getting paid, I recommend playing the gig. Just beware of the promoter next time.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

DJ won't draw more....

I guess if the money is the same... but a two hour gig??? Logistics are harder too.....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

DJ won't draw more....

I guess if the money is the same... but a two hour gig??? Logistics are harder too.....

Logistics are the same for a two hour gig as they are for a four hour gig. If the pay is the same, what's the problem? (other than some of your friends showing up at 11 pm and wondering where the band is).

Actually the more people that come late and complain, the less likely it is that this will happen again.

If the pay is the same and you're playing for less time, I don't see it being a big deal. I think it would only be a big deal if you or your bandmates schedules are so tight that it makes an 8 PM start difficult. From the way you're stating things I guess that might be the case.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

yep, tight schedules. Now they want us 7 to 10. Our crowd will arrive just after nine. My hope is that the place is hoppin and then at 10 we say ok, we're done the venue asked us to stop at 10 instead of 12. please welcome Mr DJ....

They knew about this three weeks ago!!!!! They have us (loud dance rock) playing to the dinner crowd and the DJ playing after that... WTF???

How did it go?

yep, tight schedules. Now they want us 7 to 10. Our crowd will arrive just after nine. My hope is that the place is hoppin and then at 10 we say ok, we're done the venue asked us to stop at 10 instead of 12. please welcome Mr DJ....

They knew about this three weeks ago!!!!! They have us (loud dance rock) playing to the dinner crowd and the DJ playing after that... WTF???

That's pretty messed up. When we play the (usually older) dinner crowd we bring the volume way down and play more classic rock. Gives people a totally wrong impression of who we are (also loud dance rock).

Playing dinner has one priceless benefit. We do not play many all ages shows. The kids come out of the woodwork, stand two feet away and are completely mesmerized. Truly, our biggest fans are often the littlest ones in the house.

To compete with the djs we (and other local bands) play all the hot dj dance songs during our breaks. Additionally I bought new lights and a sub for the PA. We are truly the best of both worlds and djs cannot compete.

I'd talk with the venue and let them know we can hold our own from 10-12, even with a hip hop crowd. Or country line dancing. Or whatever else they want.

Or if they just want soft dinner music, that's fine, too.

But, yes, I need to know ahead of time what is expected so I can promote the event appropriately. Everyone loses when people come out for one event and find out plans were changed at the last minute.

What is the load out like. Will you have to wait until 12:00 to pack down?

We used to play a place from 9-12 then the DJ would play till 2am or 3am. We would do our set, pack down then come back up and enjoy the rest of the night.

Eventually the place moved to DJ only as it was cheaper for them to have an in-house DJ. They lost their reputation for having good bands (they catered for ages 30s and up) and the place folded.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

It went ok. The dinner crowd thought we were too loud. We tried to be quiet but our drummer has trouble maintining quiet. Reall only one table of older folks thought we were too loud, rest seemed to like us. At 9pm, the lights went down and we started rockin it more. By 9:30 people had been spilling in from the streets and our regular showed up and the place was packed. At 10 we said thanks. Time for the DJ...

The crowd was into us and very enthusiastic. One guy wanted to know what it was called when a band plays and is rocking the joint and then stops so a DJ could play.... I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders...

Bar owner seemed to understand that something was a miss and said next time we'll get the whole night. They paid us and my wife and I stayed and met some new poeple. Not a bad night.

Bar owner seemed to understand that something was a miss and said next time we'll get the whole night. They paid us and my wife and I stayed and met some new poeple. Not a bad night.

Well, now that he wants you to play the 'whole night'. He can also pay you the 'whole night (increased) fee'!!

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

No, that's that strange thing. We charged him a whole nights fee and said we would play as long as they like.... Why hire a DJ too.... Beats me.... I think they are new at this....

Archived