Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

help - my new laptop does not have a pcmcia card slot?

Bansaw

Pcmcia has been phased out. I've been using, and have been happy with, the Echo Indigo IO.

However, its pcmcia.

My laptop doesn't even have an expresscard slot.

My question is:

a) Is there a good adapter to connect my pcmcia card via the usb slot (that doesn't cost an arm or a leg)

b) If not, what is a very good USB sound card?

thanks,,

Reaper, i7-7700k, Win10, 16GB, 2TB, 500Mb SSD, MOTU Ethno & Symphonic, Studiologic 990Xp 88-key, Behringer UM2

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure that qualifies as both an arm and a leg. :o

...but less than "a very good USB sound card".

Well, the RME usb interface is over a grand.

His current Echo is 2 in/2out. Almost every usb interface on the market with 2/in+out can be found for less than the adapter. Cakewalk, Tascam, M-Audio, Presonus, Yamaha, you name it. They are all between $99-149.

Sorry, for some reason I thought it was $115, not $159; definitely time to upgrade to something from the last 3 years or so. :thu:

That being said, I don't know that I'd label anything in the $100 range as being "very good" (hence my emphasis in the quote above). YMMV, of course. :)

Sorry, for some reason I thought it was $115, not $159; definitely time to upgrade to something from the last 3 years or so. :thu:

That being said, I don't know that I'd label anything in the $100 range as being "very good" (hence my emphasis in the quote above). YMMV, of course. :)

Right. The only USB interface I would qualify as "very good" would be the RME. For most of the others, it's strictly a matter of ins and outs.

I have the same issue as the OP. Wanted to use my Echo Indigo for a session and was very disappointed to find I couldn't.

I'd recommend against using the cardbus-to-usb adapter, as there's got to be some bottleneck somewhere. I'd personally spring for one that was pci-to-pci.

I had the same problem with my laptop. While I did not care for the Indigo as a feed to a mixer is was handly when I wanted to work only with the laptp and headphones. Rather than pay $150 for an adapter might as well pay $250 for something like a NI Audio Kontrol 1. That's what I ended up with and when I don't want to deal with an external device I use AISO4all. With the latest updates both are working fine for me in Win 7x64. ASIO4all does use more CPU but it is still handy.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived