Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to avoid splooshy sound on cymbals?

What is the best technique for avoiding hearing the sound of the up and down cymbal motion in the overheads with a heavy hitting drummer? I tried tightening down the felts but it made them sound clangy. They are both thin crashes but one sounds like a medium. What is a good method of convincing the drummer not to hit them so damn hard? I was going to make him use smaller sticks but in this case the toms sound best with 2b's. Should I be aiming each overhead at a sweet spot of the primary left and right cymbal? I have been aiming between where the stick hits and the bell. Or should I be more concerned with just placing overheads so they get best stereo picture of drum kit as a whole. I am afraid if I don't aim them both symmetrically at or equal distance towards each left and right cymbal, that one will be more prominant/sound different than the other. I realize I could move the overheads farther away from the cymbals to minimize the splooshy sound, but then my stereo image isn't as wide or articulated. I tried the X/Y thing with my c1000's and it was a wierd and crappy unatural sound. Maybe I didn't do it right. Or maybe those mics suck for it. Also what is a simple clear cut system for setting up mics and checking phase. I usually just keep playing with them until everything sounds natural, but I would like to be a bit more systematic in my approach. ~whew~ -Josh. P.S. I have been trying lots of different things, but I am doing it myself so I have to record play listen, record play listen. It is a bit slow going. Thought some fresh approaches might help.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i usually end up aiming the OH's at the drummers shoulders, about 2-4 feet from their shoulders. i dont aim at the cymbals. i usually compress the OH's till they 'swirl' a little to get the factory sound. i get a lot of the sound of the kit from the OH's, with indv drum mics to add punch. does that help? p.s. - stay away from sm81 - i think they were made by the devil.....

Archived