Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Working with artists' producers.

Hi All ! I've been hired by a concert promoter to record an upcoming concert. I've worked with him (promoter)before recording shows for him, and he sold the upcoming artist on me by playing him recordings I have done for him (promoter)previously. This is a very big opportunity for me, as the artist is quite well known here in Canada with several albums to his credit, and his producer is very well regarded here and abroad as well. (forgive me for not giving names!) The producers' idea is to have me do the recording, and they will take the tracks from there to a studio in Toronto to do the final mix for the CD/DVD concert release. My question is this, do I just dump the raw tracks on to DAT, CD-R or tape for them, and just leave it at that ? I would like to be part of the mixing process, even if it's just to listen and learn, should I make that a factor in the agreement for doing the recording? I've already been assured by the promoter speaking on behalf of the producer, that recording credits will be given to me on the CD/DVD release. Any input regarding this would be greatly appreciated, I'd like to handle this as professionally as possible, ya know ?!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) ask what medium they want the recordings on (do full research, get the full 'spec' they require) 2) Being 'part of the mixing process', is really outside your remit. 3) The pro thing to do is; at a good time, like after you have done your part of the job and there is a pleasant atmosphere of a job well done....is to ask, "would it be at all possible for me to swing by for 15 mins while you guys are mixing?" followed by "Don't worry! I know how to keep my mouth shut!" You must be able to cope with the answer NO! If you don't live in the town they are mixing in, you are screwed as they will be creeped out by the fact that you would be traveling miles to 'just drop in'. BTW I wouldn't ask, in front of the band manager (too used to saying no), OR the artist either as you are a stranger, not in their tight knit group.. I have done one big deal 24tk remote truck live recording as producer (didn't touch the desk) and mixed 2. If one of the guys from the remote truck asked if they could 'hang around for the mixing' or "I would be really interested to watch you mix this, can I hang out for the day' - The answer would have been a definite NO. Reason, with deadlines and a high concentration level required a 'tourist' is most definitely UNWELCOME. However a super cool engineer who did a great job for the project is more than welcome to swing by for a quick coffee and a 'how dee do' provided it's known that he is coming in the first instance and that their stay will be very brief. If they are mixing miles away, you could invent a 'white lie' story that you just happen to be attending some family function in town that day, and ......use the above phrases... [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Jules

Jules

Producer Julian Standen

London, UK,

Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com

Archived