Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

rebuilding my past

Ian Sharrock

Inspired by mate_stubb with his build project I decided to resurrect my homebuilt monosynth. Conceived in the early '80s and based on a magazine project (the Minisonic 2) but with added units and a redesigned case (why did I think plastic would be a good material to build it with)? :crazy:

This time with rather more money than I had first time round I'm refurbishing it to last.

Here's the before shot alongside the photoshopped new design.

http://www.f-music.co.uk/build/before_after.jpg

Aluminium panels with mahogany end cheeks. The design is a great big nod to the more sucessful synth designs from the era. I'm sure you guys don't need me to list them. :/

I started putting the hardware together this morning and this is the result so far.

http://www.f-music.co.uk/build/first-fit-case.jpg

This monosynth sounds quite good on it's own, but thanks to the wonders of modern technology, I can sample it and play a polyphonic version using my V-Machine :cool:

Now you just can't get that level of satisfaction by just spanking a plank, can you?

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourite sound so far. It's a stereo sawtooth (left ramps up, right ramps down)with a basic chorus (modelled on juno 60).

It's sampled using V-Machine.

Czeb chorus saw

This one has a bright saw going direct out of the right channel, with a filtered square on the left (to evoke strings/woodwind ensemble)

Czeb strings/woodwind

I'd love to gig the synth. Unfortunately the oscillators are very prone to drift and I'd be forever retuning it! By using the V-Machine I get the sounds I want and stability. If I want tweakability on the fly I'll approximate with my KS-Rack. It's not ideal but Joe Punter don't know any different!

Now you just can't get that level of satisfaction by just spanking a plank, can you?

Looks like fun. If I was doing that I'd have a go at designing a circuit to keep the oscillators in tune.

BTW, I hacked my PC3x on Friday night.

http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php?/topic/45618-mounting-the-ribbon/

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Sweet!

What type of circuitry is making the noise - discrete, CEM chips, what?

Discrete. The original design required a matched pair transistor (mounted in one case) so that thermal equilibium was acheived faster. I couldn't get hold of them so I glued two transistors back to back & wrapped copper wire round 'em. Seems to work!

Slight modification to the new build. Instead of the mini joystick for modulation I just picked up a Roland U20 pitch bend from a famous online auction site at a reasonable price.

• 1 month later...

that stereo saw sounds PHAT!

I love these kinds of projects. Putting the V-Mashine inside will allow you to run other plugins, too.

Please keep us posted.

BTW. Isn't it time to open a DIY sub-forum on the KC? :)

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

BloodyMary: I'm keeping the synth as purely analogue. I sample the output of it then use SampleLord in V-Machine to reproduce polyphonically. (I love the idea of building a V-machine INTO a retro keyboard, with all controls mapped to the relevant Midi CCs though).

Mate stubb: The graphics are designed in Photoshop then printed onto vinyl self adhesive sheet using my HP Color Laserjet, then spray laquered to protect the print. Mounted onto 1mm styrene sheets and cut out to form the synth units(VCO, VCF, etc). The Aluminium panel has been sprayed with Plasi-Kote satin Midnight Blue paint (I think I did 4 coats).

Archived