Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dixie Chicken

Ed Coury

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I too miss Lowell, the fact is he was a declining force in the band & could well have been planning an exit when he died.
Lowell had left the band and they were broken up or on hiatus when he died while on tour in support of his solo album Thanks, I'll Eat It Here.

I bet Billy couldn't cut it in Phish though, those guys are too good. :evil:
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked013.gif

Umm, you are kiddin', right ?

Yes. I know you are familiar with the thread to which this is a reference.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Per Broken Feat, they made a habit of breaking up, though sometimes spuriously perhaps, as when they did before coming back as a larger band circa Feats Don't Fail Me.

I suspect that had time allowed, Lowell & Payne might've patched things up...but who knows.

As to mentions of recordings, I'd submit that Feat wre ahead of the game in producing/distributing their own recordings, though they did so in the form of bootlegs they pretended to know nothing about officially. [http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-music037.gif]

There's a great set from the 1970s called Electric Lycanthrope, complete w/Neon Park cover, recorded at some fan's wedding party.

d=halfnote

The "large band" came about with Dixie Chicken, their third album. The original bass player, Roy Estrada, left after the second album, Sailin' Shoes, to rejoin the Mothers. Lowell had been trying to get Paul Barrere to join as a bass player for ages, but finally got him to join as second guitarist when Kenny and Sam joined at this point.

While it is possible Lowell and Billy may have patched things up at some point, Billy's last memory of Lowell was Lowell knocking on his door in the middle of the night. When Billy answered it, Lowell was standing there with tears in his eyes. Lowell just looked at him and walked away.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Uh, correct about the chronology, Joe !

It is true, though, that many think the band's "breakup" between the 2 records was a play for better deal at Warners.

Where'd you hear the sad midnight story ?

d=halfnote

Where'd you hear the sad midnight story ?
I can't recall. Billy did a video interview recently and it might have been that.

BTW, here's Billy's account of how he joined the band.

http://www.billpaynecreative.com/index.php?page=writing&b_id=459561

I found this series of interviews
last week when this thread started. Interesting life.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Yes! That is the video interview I was talking about. It's like 10 parts or so, all worth watching.

Archived