Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Working from home

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]So... Don't leave us in suspense! Tell us what you've got going on.[/b][/quote]Ahh nothing great, just a crappy sales job. But, dealing with my clients from home will make it a tad more enjoyable. maybe.
I have no homepage.

Wellllll.... There's upside and downside to working at home (which I've done since April, when I started my business). You have to have awesome self-discipline, and if you have a wife or kids or friends, you have to make them understand that just because you're home doesn't mean you're now available to do home stuff. I wake up early every day, I shower and dress, and I'm at my desk at around 8:00am. I have to stay in the same mode as when I went into an office for ten straight years, or else my productivity drops. Since I own my business, if it drops, I make less money. Simple as that. And, since I like money, I work my ass off. But it is indeed cool not dealing with commutes, problem co-workers and so on. I miss a little of the office social environment...but not enough to take another job. :) - Jeff

I do enjoy walked OUT of my office and driving home, and not thinking about it until the next morning, but killing the commute [i]would[/i] be sweet... We'll have to watch your post count, make sure you're not goofing off at home. ;)

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Just started working from home 2 weeks ago. First couple of days I had a hard time concentrating. Then I got into the swing of it. I like having conference calls while my dogs sleep next to my feet. Occasionally they get rowdy and I have to put them outside. I don't check out the SSS more than I did when I was at the office.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

[quote]Originally posted by Gabriel E.: [b]Just started working from home 2 weeks ago. [/b][/quote]And what are you doing from home? Hey Jeff, When you say you "dress", are we talking professional dress? How has your business been going? How are you handling the issue of insurance?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]Hey Jeff, When you say you "dress", are we talking professional dress?[/b][/quote]God, no. That would be kinda silly. Unless I'm going out to see a client, my dress will be jeans and a t-shirt, and perhaps sneakers (or bare feet). But I also don't lounge around in a robe. I still feel like I have to look semi presentable. [quote][b]How has your business been going?[/b][/quote]I am very happy so far. We've done some great work for several clients in music and audio, ranging from print ads to web sites to PR and more. Plus, I have some more new business about to start. I have no room to complain. It ain't easy, but it's worthwhile. [quote][b]How are you handling the issue of insurance?[/b][/quote]Issue? What issue? Oh, you mean that personally insuring one's self and family is ridiculously expensive? Yeah...that's an issue alright. :mad: - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel: [b]We've done some great work for several clients[/b][/quote]"We've"? There's a "we've" involved??? What are you, like a contractor or something? [i] btw: If I'm getting too nosey, just tell me to piss-off. I'm just curious about how people -especially creative music type people- earn their scratch...[/i]

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel: [b]Wellllll.... There's upside and downside to working at home (which I've done since April, when I started my business). You have to have awesome self-discipline, and if you have a wife or kids or friends, you have to make them understand that just because you're home doesn't mean you're now available to do home stuff. I wake up early every day, I shower and dress, and I'm at my desk at around 8:00am. I have to stay in the same mode as when I went into an office for ten straight years, or else my productivity drops. Since I own my business, if it drops, I make less money. Simple as that. And, since I like money, I work my ass off. But it is indeed cool not dealing with commutes, problem co-workers and so on. I miss a little of the office social environment...but not enough to take another job. :) - Jeff[/b][/quote]That's really cool that you do that Jeff. One reason I took this job in California is I've just lost the self discipline to do that. I did it for years and years but something went awry somewhere along the line. I think I just got tired of being on my own case all the time. I actually fired myself once, then I sat around for a couple of days and started thinking, well.....who can do this job better than me, and wound up hiring myself back. Big mistake, I should have just let me go.

[quote] quote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally posted by Gabriel E.: Just started working from home 2 weeks ago. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- And what are you doing from home? [/quote]I run operations for a coffee company. Lots of phone calls, emailing, spreadsheets, etc. Spend a lot of time driving around too.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Archived