Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

computer speaker interface for practice

SteveC

So I find myself not using an amp lately and just plugging into my computer speakers. I have a sub/satellite system that allows me to have a mini plug in as well as a mini headphone out. Works well for playing along with iTunes. I just have a 1/4" to mini adapter and plug my bass directly in. It works OK I guess.

I'm wondering if there is anything I could/should/want to plug my bass into before I plug into the speakers to give me a little better sound and volume control?

Now that I am no longer searching for my next most awesome do everything bass and amp, I guess I have to have something to do online, right? :)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do something similar. I use my Korg Toneworks Pandora (such a mouthful) and headphones.

Computer speaker Headphone Out -> Pandora Aux In

Bass -> Pandora

Pandora -> headphones

From what I understand you can do the same sort of thing with Tascam trainers, etc. Pretty much any headphone amp with an aux in.

Most times for practice I use an old (2001 Toshiba 30CDT) laptop, plug the bass into the microphone socket (jury rigged a bass to laptop cable) and listen through headphones while playing along to my practice tracks in Winamp. I get an unadorned bass sound like this, which is not always pleasant.

I tried an experiment once - used a lead from the effects loop send (ie post eg) output of my modest head to the laptop, and that worked quite well. No apparent deleterious effects to the lappy of head, but I'm not game to push my luck there.

I have tried using a more modern laptop the same way (bass in, headphones out) but it did not work very well - I suspect there is a difference in the way the older, analogue sound card works compared to the modern, digital sound card. A DI box might have helped.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

Archived