Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Son Digs It!

DaveMcM

I was watching a video link from a post by joenobody HERE when my 6 year old son came over and asked "is that you?". That made me feel good because Neal Evans was funkin' in up like crazy on his clavinet.

Then my son asked me if I know the song that says "Mud on your face". So I found the video of We Will Rock You. He dug it. Cool. He said that song was playing on his school bus on the ride home today.

Then he saw a picture of Sponge Bob in the You Tube links; someone had super-imposed Sponge Bob singing We Will Rock You. As we were watching that one, I noticed another Sponge Bob re-make, The Final Sponge Down and clicked on it. He seemed to like the song. I'm thinking 'good for him' as he started singing the synth line. I asked him if he would like to see the real band that recorded the song and he said "Sure" so I found a live version by

. He really dug it, and thankfully asked me "What's up with their hair." Whew!

Sidebar: Yet another example of a song that would be nothing without the keyboard part, but the camera never features the poor guy.

While the Europe video was playing, I noticed

video of the Symphonic orchestra of Liepaja and melo-m playing The Final Countdown. I am proud to say my son liked this version as well. Here's to me for raising a well-rounded musical mind. :)

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Passing on your musical interest to your kids can be very rewarding.

My son is 16 and plays piano & keyboard and acoustic guitar. A few days ago I bought him his 1st electric guitar. I love to hear him play. One day we were sitting in my car outside our house singing "shook me all night long" and we had the best time in that 3 minutes. Something he brings up all the time. If you were a stranger, you would have thought we were crazy.

It all starts with the parent. Great.

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Hey that's great Dave. Reminds me one time my nephew heard In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and told my brother "Uncle Joe's band is on the radio!"

My oldest is 4-1/2 and he likes ELP. He would watch the Royal Albert Hall DVD from beginning to end on his little personal kid DVD player with headphones so I could watch TV. Says he wants to be Palmer when he grows up! He sets up chairs and the ottoman and puts his keyboards on them and pretends he's EMO.

Kids are amazing little blessings.

Regards,

Joe

When I was a young(er) 'un, I used to watch the entire Stevie Ray Vaughan live at the El Mocambo DVD and take my plastic guitar, cowboy boots, and hat, and pretend to be Stevie. Somehow I made a wrong turn and ended up playing keys, but young kids definitely pick up on good music, especially if it's played to them while they're at a young age.

...Somehow I made a wrong turn and ended up playing keys,...

Gosh, don't fault yourself for coming to your senses. :D

Speaking of guitar, a couple of months ago an older fan of the group I am in requested an original from many years ago (way before I joined the band). The melody was carried by the organ and since the bass player also plays keys, he took over for me. Which moved the guitarist over to bass, which left his guitar on the stand. So the bass player, God love him, said to me, "Grab the guitar, it's only two chords, C and F." Well that's fine but my guitar chord knowledge consists of E and A and sometimes D. I could pull it off with bar chords but I didn't think that would sound quite right for a reggae tune. The guitar player quickly and discreetly showed me the C and F positions up in the middle of the neck and away we went. I must say, it was fun and I looked pretty good holding a guitar, but I'm not going to quit my night job if you know what I mean.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs444.snc3/25515_1235049562009_1402316694_30580478_2512607_s.jpg

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Speaking of guitar, a couple of months ago an older fan of the group I am in requested an original from many years ago (way before I joined the band). The melody was carried by the organ and since the bass player also plays keys, he took over for me. Which moved the guitarist over to bass, which left his guitar on the stand. So the bass player, God love him, said to me, "Grab the guitar, it's only two chords, C and F." Well that's fine but my guitar chord knowledge consists of E and A and sometimes D. I could pull it off with bar chords but I didn't think that would sound quite right for a reggae tune. The guitar player quickly and discreetly showed me the C and F positions up in the middle of the neck and away we went. I must say, it was fun and I looked pretty good holding a guitar, but I'm not going to quit my night job if you know what I mean.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs444.snc3/25515_1235049562009_1402316694_30580478_2512607_s.jpg

Excellent story! Interesting to note what skills and experience are needed to play guitar in a rock band :)

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

Archived