Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bassless music

drerio

Unlike some on this forum my fulltime job is not playing music and at times it is difficult to find others to to jam with. What I want between finding opportunities to invite folks over to jam with me in my home-studio is to have bassless music tracks. I found that I can plug in a mp3 player into my Boss ME-50B and thus want to essentially hone my skills by being the bass player on bassless music tracks. Anyone know where I can find this kind of music (that is if it even exist)? I know drumless music tracks exist (googled it), but cannot seem to find bassless ones.
"The capacity to blunder slightly is the real marvel of DNA. Without this special attribute, we would still be anaerobic bacteria and there would be no music." ~Lewis Thomas

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the Jamey Aebersold play-along cds are recorded with drums in the middle, bass on one side and piano on the other. They also come with books that have the chord changes for everything on the cd.

You just adjust the stereo balance to eliminate the bass side and off you go. Then you can switch the balance so you can hear what the top-notch player who played on the cd did.

There are hundreds of these cds. Pick one where you know some of the tunes and off you go.

Another great resource is the Standing in the Shadows of Motown book. You can also use your stereo balance to drop out the bass part. Everything is written out. Talk to us again in a few years when you can play everything on the cd!

Another great resource is the Standing in the Shadows of Motown book. You can also use your stereo balance to drop out the bass part. Everything is written out. Talk to us again in a few years when you can play everything on the cd!

I can confirm, this is an excellent resource. It is well produced with top-name players, some of them play the lines Jamerson style then stretch out to demonstrate what it would sound like if played with a different technique. My only issue is that the CD and book are Osmosis-Protected with the best technology available. My CDs and book are stored close to my amp, none of the songs have migrated into my bass over the course of several years.

- Matt W.

A halfway house is to play along with songs coming out of your PC.

Most PC playback software (Media Player, Itunes etc) has an EQ panel somewhere. You can take much of the bass right out by pulling 3 or 4 sliders to zero, then play along.

It's not as good as a "minus bass" track but it will do for practice and learning.

Cheers

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

Digitech Jam Man pedal, pricey but useful way to easily drop the bass track and play along, read the specs, there's a lot of features.

I have a Tascam BT playback machine that is great for many reasons of isolating the bass, or dropping it entirely, also allows slowing down the rack but keeping pitch. I have the CD version which is a lot cheaper now that the MP3 player version is out.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Archived