Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tis 5am, I just got home from a gig

rizzo9247

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...and it's cold

..and it's raining

...and there's no free parking space left anywhere near the house

Now, doesn't that high-end lightweight gear that you've been promising yourself sound just that little bit more appealing?!

This. 'Tis why my band mates call me the one-trip wonder.

I got in this a.m. from a gig last night in Jackman, Maine. We play a little jernt called "Schmoose's." It's about 150 mi. away; we carpool.

Jackman is a big-time hunting and winter sports area. Two-thirds of the folks in the bar last night came in on snowmobiles. Plus folks from Quebec, Jackman is only 10 mi. from the Canadian border.

Eddie the owner treats us very well. In addition to paying us very fairly, he feeds us and puts us up at a house he owns next door to the bar. Very comfy! So although we left early this a.m., 6:45, that "not having to drive home in the middle of the night" and getting even a few hours of restful sleep makes a massive difference. (We could have slept later, just wanted to get on the road early.)

Plus the Jackman area is beautiful!

http://www.rangeleysnowmobile.com/Photos/Jackman-Trail.jpg

We see moose just about every time we go up; a little doe ["a deer, a female deer"] was on Main St. as we drove out this morning.

So Schmoose's is one of my favorite gigs.

...and it's cold

..and it's raining

...and there's no free parking space left anywhere near the house

Now, doesn't that high-end lightweight gear that you've been promising yourself sound just that little bit more appealing?!

Don't you mean, "It's cold, snowing and it's too late to crank up the snowblower to clear the driveway"? :)

While lightweight bass gear would certainly help me when I get home after a gig -- and I got to bed by 3 am after Friday night's show ended at 1:30 am -- I have more PA gear than bass gear. So I really enjoy fill-in gigs where all I have to haul is bass gear.

Glad to hear you had a good show, Rizzo! :thu: Did you play a late shift or did it just take you that long to get home? (I remember on one visit to NYC trying to take the subway home after a long night of clubbing and nearly falling asleep waiting for the train to come.)

a little doe ["a deer, a female deer"] was on Main St. as we drove out this morning.

I always wondered about that ! Thanks for clarifying, I was never sure of how to write it and was too lazy to look it up. FYI, The Sound Of Music is one of my fave musicals, along with Grease and the recent Hairspray. I don't like West Side Story, though.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

a little doe ["a deer, a female deer"] was on Main St. as we drove out this morning.

I always wondered about that ! Thanks for clarifying, I was never sure of how to write it and was too lazy to look it up. FYI, The Sound Of Music is one of my fave musicals, along with Grease and the recent Hairspray. I don't like West Side Story, though.

You're welcome, David! Yeah, a female deer is a doe, a male is a buck. BTW, the same terms are used for goats.

I was so happy when I got a house were I could just pull my car into the garage and leave the load out until the morning. But the new gear with the neo drivers definitely makes it all quite a bit easier.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Sound of Music.... hate it..... Love Julie Andrews though....
SOM might be a guilty pleasure for me, if I felt guilty about it.

I personally feel that the docs who botched JA's throat surgery and stole her singing voice ought to be taken out into the public square and flogged on a routine basis.

I don't like West Side Story, though.

Oh, that makes me sad to hear...but I don't like Grease, so there you go.

The low point for me was when "the toughest guy in the neighbourhood" got down on his knees and started belting "Maria". Had he started belching it, that would have saved the flick for me.

Dislike Grease all you want, the soundtrack has some of the most awesome bass lines ever recorded. That said, I don't recall much of the music in WSS. Aside from "Maria" ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Musicals are awesome. Yeah, I said it.

Regarding the original post:

Don't take it out if you're not willing to put it back without complaining.

This applies to pretty much everything in life.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I don't like West Side Story, though.

Oh, that makes me sad to hear...but I don't like Grease, so there you go.

"Maria"...Had he started belching it, that would have saved the flick for me.

LOL. Good one. I just fell in love with that musical in seventh grade and completely immersed myself in the soundtrack. Hadn't listened to it since, but I bought it for my mom for Xmas and was astounded to find that, 45-ish years later, I still remembered pretty much every lyric and musical phrase in that score.

Dislike Grease all you want, the soundtrack has some of the most awesome bass lines ever recorded.

OK. I will re-listen. I bought the Grease 30th (30th?) anniversary DVD for my daughter last Xmas. She, of course, loves it.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Did you play a late shift or did it just take you that long to get home? (I remember on one visit to NYC trying to take the subway home after a long night of clubbing and nearly falling asleep waiting for the train to come.)

We played from 10pm - 3am, at bar/restaurant about 40 minutes from my house. Loading up the gear took about 15 minutes, waiting around to get paid is what took up the rest of the time...

Regarding the original post:

This applies to pretty much everything in life.

Agreed :D

Some photos:

Rockin' the six-string

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs426.ash1/23610_313743403198_571243198_3534316_2876275_n.jpg

Mid-headbang

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs386.snc3/23610_313743263198_571243198_3534305_2571659_n.jpg

You!!!

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs386.snc3/23610_313743753198_571243198_3534347_6636130_n.jpg

That's what sh-...never mind.

I read an interview with J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. years ago who opined that real musicians like all kinds of music, e.g., somewhere some death metal guy was just sitting down to enjoy the Dinah Shore box set. It doesn't surprise me that you like musicals, Erik.

I always thought it would be cool to do "One Singular Sensation" mixed with "One" by Metallica. It could work.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived