Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

An opportunity arises

EddiePlaysBass

Hmmm, just noticed that a local punkpopband is "between bassists" at the moment. We opened for them a few years back for a local radio show. Talented drummer, the rest is ok but I like their songs (even if their recently released debut album received nothing but negative reviews).

Now, their music is not too complicated, mostly picked straight eights. Don't think they'd like a 5-stringer either, nor a Jazz bass :grin: But I'm tempted to give it a go anyway, at least mail them and see if they'd be interested in me trying out, and seeing what their gig / rehearsal schedule is like. If nothing else, it'd probably be a good gigging experience, assuming they have gigs to play shortly.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check it out, it could be fun and you have nothing to loose. See if you can find out why they're between bass players.

I'm discussing it with my manager (i.e. girlfriend). Assuming I'd nail the audition (failure IS always an option), the main issue will be the amount of gigs they play (and any ensuing cash).

If you can stand what they play, and them as people, why not?

Ah the lead vocalist is said to be a difficult woman and from what little I've seen of her, I tend to believe the rumours :grin:

Ah what the heck, I'll send out a feeler, see what they say. At worst I get turned down. Big deal :)

Consider this:

I'm assuming they're an original act, which means there is bound to be a lot of rehearsing/writing, and gigs may be frequent but not particularly lucrative. If you don't think you can deal with doing a LOT of work and spending a lot of time on the band for basically no money, don't waste your time or theirs. It'll be a labor of love.

Also, it really helps if you enjoy/know something about the genre of music they play. Like I said, since they're an original band, you'll probably have to write bass lines for the songs, and, while some pop/punk bassists have been known to get pretty loose and a little crazy, most of it is, as you said, straight eighth notes on the roots with a few minor fills. That's what they'll want from you, with very little deviation. If you don't think you can be happy doing that, don't go for the audition.

By the way, I think the Jazz bass will be fine.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Why not go? Prepare by getting your questions ready (most of which is already in this thread).

Your goal is to win the job, then decide if it is a job that you want. If it fits (and they like you), you're in. If it is not a fit, you say "no thank you".

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Why not go?

Fair enough question, and I have thought it through a lot. In the end, I have decided against it. Why ? I'll reply by quoting one of my favourite Uriah Heep tunes, called Love Or Nothing:

It's time for you to realise / There's gonna be no compromise / It's gotta be love or nothing at all

As much as I want to move forward and upward, this is not my gig to get. As a bass player, my heart is not in their music, and if I know that going in, why even bother ?

It's ironic that playing in The Dapper Dans, I passed on some great opportunities because I wanted to dedicate myself to the band I was in. Now that I'm out, and there's an opportunity which in itself is not bad (though their audience seems to be 15-year old girls, mostly) I really don't "feel" it. So I'm going to pass, and wait for and work towards a better deal.

Why not go?

Fair enough question, and I have thought it through a lot. In the end, I have decided against it. Why ? I'll reply by quoting one of my favourite Uriah Heep tunes, called Love Or Nothing:

It's time for you to realise / There's gonna be no compromise / It's gotta be love or nothing at all

As much as I want to move forward and upward, this is not my gig to get. As a bass player, my heart is not in their music, and if I know that going in, why even bother ?

It's ironic that playing in The Dapper Dans, I passed on some great opportunities because I wanted to dedicate myself to the band I was in. Now that I'm out, and there's an opportunity which in itself is not bad (though their audience seems to be 15-year old girls, mostly) I really don't "feel" it. So I'm going to pass, and wait for and work towards a better deal.

:thu:

Yeah, this would probably be the one to stay away from- don't go in 'on the rebound' so to speak.

Aside of not 'feeling' it, 2 big red flags- lead singer seems to have drama and /or control issues- no thanks. the other is their target audience (or at least who shows up to their show) is 15 year old girls- so that tells me the music is most likely not going to be very interesting and will get old quick.

Speaking of which, how old are these band members? If they are mid-late teens, it would be all kinds of weird being a grown man in the band. At the very least, either people would think you had unhealthy ulterior motives or you'd be assumed to be perceived as being 'responsible' for the younger ones. Not a good situation. If they are older than that and they play for a bunch of 15 year old girls, another big red flag. That's just asking for trouble...

Wise move not to go for it :thu:

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Archived