Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4689816/snow-in-the-forecast-for-sunday-night

Great quip from BB:

Honestly, I didnt even know that, Patriots coach Bill Belichick said earlier this week when informed of his teams record in the snow. Thats great. Well get the snow-making machines out there; start firing it up. I wasnt even aware of it. Those arent the kind of records I keep track of."

Who says he doesn't have a sense of humor? :D

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really wonder whose idea it was to sign McNabb in the first place considering the drama this season. Benching him in favor of Grossman leads me to believe the Shanahans and GM Allen are going to blow up this team. It is the only explanation since they will definitely lose the current locker room with this move.

IMO, the team needs to rebuild with younger players. I do not have a problem if that is the general direction. But, their personnel decisions could be made a lot more tactfully. :cool:

I'll side with Riggins on this move. He thinks that this is Shanny's way of telling Snyder that this is Shanny's team. If Mike can win on Sunday, this may work for him. If they lose the last three games, Shanny will be a one season coach.

I've been wanting to see Rex play for most of the season. McNabb hasn't played a full game yet for the Skins. He's had a good quarter or two but he has no touch and can't read. Sure, he's had a bad line to play behind and some passes are dropped. Many of the passes are dropped because McNabb can't throw a short pass with finesse.

It's time to rebuild a young team and forget these elaborate schemes that will "take 2-3 years" to get. You can't hold NFL players long enough to invest in that BS.

forget these elaborate schemes that will "take 2-3 years" to get. You can't hold NFL players long enough to invest in that BS.

Eh, BB has done pretty well up in NE with "elaborate schemes" for a decade or so.

Granted, he's had the one thing the Redskins haven't had since their last SB run - stability at QB.....

Anyone that plays for the Patriots knows that when they get on the field they better play well or they won't be on the field. Hoody and company run their organization like a business, cause it is. They are not very sentimental, when a player can't perform like he once did, he's gone. Richard Seymour was traded a bit earlier than he thought he should have been and was none too happy about it. That's life in NE.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Seymour was traded because he wanted Haynesworth money, which everyone in the league (except Dan Snyder) thought was idiotic.

Yes, the Pats are having trouble with their pass rush right now with him gone, but that is changing as the young LB's get used to the complicated assignments.

forget these elaborate schemes that will "take 2-3 years" to get. You can't hold NFL players long enough to invest in that BS.

Eh, BB has done pretty well up in NE with "elaborate schemes" for a decade or so.

Granted, he's had the one thing the Redskins haven't had since their last SB run - stability at QB.....

If you have recent SB rings, you can lure some good talent.

The Skins did so in the early 90's, then we were known as a place to get a huge paycheck. Now we are known a a miserable team that will destroy a players reputation. I don't see us having the drawing power we once had.

by Griffinator:

Seymour was traded because he wanted Haynesworth money, which everyone in the league (except Dan Snyder) thought was idiotic.

His age didn't work as a very good bargaining chip either.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

If you have recent SB rings, you can lure some good talent.

Not really. If you look at the talent the Pats brought in, it was mostly people who were cut from other teams and signed at discounts. The only big-money free agent the Pats signed was Thomas, and he was a total disaster.

I do believe the Belichick system relies on people who are willing to bust their asses to make it happen, which is why Randy Moss only worked for 1 season - because he's never had a real work ethic. It's not beyond the realm of possibility, however, that the spanking he took when he left NE opens his eyes enough to realize that coming back to NE for whatever price, no matter how low, and busting his ass for BB is the only way he'll ever get a shot at a ring (particularly if they win one this year, which is a pretty good possibility barring any disastrous injuries)

OG Logan Mankins is the latest Pats budget example. He was holding out as a restricted free agent until a couple weeks ago. Since coming back the Pats Offensive line has been markedly better the last 4 games. Will they sign him in the off season? Tough call. Not if he wants $5 million. No other club matched the Pats $3.26 million offer. Mankins will be 29 next year. The Pats are thinking 3-year $10 million contract not the 5-year $25 million contract Mankins wants and is shopping.

More on Mankins:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2010/12/10/mankins_giving_patriots_that_extra_push/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Today%27s+paper+A+to+Z

Meanwhile 34 year old Guard Stephen Neal likely ended his career two weeks ago.

Hey Rich, if you're nostalgic, you can always read the forum discussion of the game. (I was posting as soapbox back then.)

I watched the game at the 2002 Winter NAMM Show along with dB, at the Marriott lounge IIRC.

Back to the present: Joe Webb is going to start at quarterback this week and Donovan McNabb isn't. Do you think the Vikings wish they could make a trade? :freak:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I loved that game in 2002.

I never got over the roughing-the-passer call when I was an impressionable youth (the 1976 Patriots Raiders playoff game w/ the real John Madden coaching the 'dirtiest team to ever play NFL ball').

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jln47i31ps

This book looks like a great read of that era for Raiders and NFL fans.

The Legend of Snake, Foo, Dr. Death, and John Madden's Oakland Raiders

Great weekend for backup quarterbacks around the NFL:

Source: Broncos' Tebow to get first start

Pack's Rodgers out, Flynn in vs. Pats

Vikings' Favre out for MNF

Notice a pattern? It's all team's I like. Good thing I'm not given to paranoia. ;)

Best,

Geoff

Yeah, this is the first time I've picked against Green Bay all season.

And the Bears game against the Vikings is pretty much a gimme now for them as well. Talk about bad news for the Packers!

Barring a miracle, I'd say their season is over. This is what happens when you lose both your starting running back and quarterback...

For instance, if Rodgers hadn't gotten a concussion against the Redskins and the Lions, the Packers would likely have two more wins and be in first place right now. If Rodgers was healthy and they lost today anyway, they'd still be tied for first with the Bears. And that's just with a healthy Rodgers. Imagine what they might have achieved if they hadn't lost Ryan Grant in Game 1!

At least--barring a repeat of this year's injuries--next year looks bright for the Green Bay packers.

Best,

Geoff

by Griffinator:

If you look at the talent the Pats brought in, it was mostly people who were cut from other teams and signed at discounts. The only big-money free agent the Pats signed was Thomas, and he was a total disaster.

The Patriots are making good use of their draft picks too. If you look at the 2007 team, there were only 5 rookies on the roster by the end of the season. As the season wore on, the age of some of the players caught up to them; they wore down.

This year's NE team has what, 10 or 11 rookies and 2nd year players actively contributing to the team's efforts. There's a lot of no name players that will have a name that will be recognized in football circles by the end of the season. Even if NE doesn't win the SB, they will be a strong contended for the foreseeable future. I don't believe anyone in the AFC can beat them and the only real threat in the NFC is New Orleans.

Cheers.

Mike T.

Archived