Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wheels set in motion

EddiePlaysBass

Here's another update for y'all. Got a call from our guitarist today, asking where we all stand with this "issue". Then he proceeded to telling me he was real close to just quitting the band (which would have saved me some trouble, although I wonder if he would really have done so) because he didn't like the whole rockabilly style any more. I told him I agree and pointed out that whilst we are good at what we do, nobody seems to care until we play the rap song we close most sets with ...

Anyway, I told him I'd like to have a go at classic rock, and do lead vocals myself. Whilst practising today, I noticed that I could pull it off for a good number of songs, but on certain songs I just can't combine the two without compromising at least one part. Practice could be key, but I'd rather focus on just one part. So I suggested to the drummer and guitarist that for the moment, we give me a try as lead singer but start looking for a lead singer (preferably one who also plays lead guitar) in order to get a full set list.

My -current- vision for this band would be one where I do shared lead vocals, and the lead singer does shared guitar duty (both lead and rhythm). I proposed to the guys that in the longer run we'd fuse 'em all together and get one band going to cover everything from the '50s to present day. Whilst I hinted at including The Dapper Dans still-present singer, I guess between me and a new vocalist we could cover a lot of ground.

Speaking of The Singer, I called him and told him that for now, I want to put The Dapper Dans "on hold". The guitarist is going to be a father next month, and the singer will become one in June or July. This would mean that we'd have several periods in which we either rehearse or not, and I wanted to take the time to focus on other stuff. Granted, I did not specify it included looking for a replacement for him. What irked me but did not surprise me in the least is that his reaction was: "Oh? Okay." If you really like being in a band, that is just not the way you'd respond to this kind of news (i.e. let's not do anything for 4 - 6 months and then see what happens next).

That said, let's see what happens next :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't read too much into his weak response. There are many possible reasons:

- he may not deal well with conflict

- he may be preoccupied with his life and actually be OK with a "break"

- he may be circling around you to talk to the other band members.

Stonefly has parted company with two people. Both were good guys who most of us had worked with and we considered friends. One of the guitar players took care of both of those conversations, and it turned out just fine, but it isn't any fun.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Don't read too much into his weak response. There are many possible reasons

Yeah I know. Guess he has his reasons as much as I have mine.

The funny thing is, I feel better now "not" being in a band than when I was still in one. Still waiting on final feedback from the drummer to see if he'd like to start a classic rock trio (and expand from there) or not. But even if that does not happen, I'm happier being "between bands" ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Bands are relationships--it's better to not be in one than it is to be in an unhealthy one.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived