Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mama Does Dingwall...

Groove Mama

Oh, I hesitate to modify a bass that I am happy with. Too much risk. Every time in my life that I have sprung for an "unknown" or customized something over the phone, it has been a regrettable decision.

I am, however, going to have my guitar tech experiment with swapping out the jazz bridge pickup on the Yamaha BB-415 bass that I just bought, with a Bartolini hum-cancelling jazz-style pickup. I trust his judgment.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, I hesitate to modify a bass that I am happy with. Too much risk. Every time in my life that I have sprung for an "unknown" or customized something over the phone, it has been a regrettable decision.

Understandable. But I take the raving reviews of other Dingwall players as well as Sheldon's own words as a good sign that it will go well.

Hmm, maybe I'll talk to him about it then (Sheldon, that is -- great guy, met him at NAMM when he still attended the show).

I'm going to have Stephen swap the bridge pickup on my new Yammie first, and then re-evaluate my coverage.

The Yammie BB-415 is hard to find as it didn't sell well and thus got dropped by most vendors. But it is easily the match for most basses under $2000. Solidly built and very versatile, and especially good for vintage tone. Its main weak spot is the bridge pickup -- the neck pickup is very good.

I'm real happy how these two basses compliment each other. And I also take it as a good sign that neither bass needs EQ (e.g. the preset curves on the Avelon U5 vs. bypassing that EQ).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hmm, didn't see his booth this year, and someone else told me he had pulled out a few years back. But maybe he still attends, but just without a booth?

I could be wrong but I seem to remember something about him going to a European trade show instead this past time. I don't remember if it was this past NAMM or the one before when he won several awards including two of the three that Bass Gear Mag was giving out.

I'm just glad he's getting more attention now. For years, I thought I was in on some "inside" secret. Not a good thing if you want your vendor to still be in business years later.

Archived