Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mama Does Dingwall...

Groove Mama

OK. Here's the scoop on the instruments and stack: (Thanks, Ed!)

Alembic Stanley Clarke Signature Deluxe Cocobolo Top/Back, THIN NECK Taper (like Stanley's): 1.5" Nut/2.15" 24th Fret Width, RED Side LEDs with AMBER LED's at the 12th and 24th Frets! Abalone Inlays, VERMILLION Core, Deluxe Case.

Retail $11,650

Adjusted Ret. $10,225

Sale $7669

Mike Lull V5 3TSB, Alder Body, Maple Neck w/Indian Rosewood Fingerboard, Bass Lines J Pickups, TSPG Pickguard, Chrome Hardware, Gig Case.

Retail $2765

Sale $2073

Dingwall Combustion 5, Candy Green, 5 pc maple neck, 24 fret Sonokilin Rosewood fingerboard with white ivoroid face and side dots

Body Alder, no top or pickguard Electronics Dingwall FD3-A Made in Canada pickups, EMB BT07 2-band pre-amp, Volume/Volume. Gig Bag $132, Hard Shell Case $79

Retail $1599

Sale Price $1199

Hartke HA5500 550watt bass head, classic rackmount chassis.

Retail $799.99

Sale $599

Hartke HyDrive HX410, 4x10" + HF, 1000watts, 8 ohms.

Retail $779.99

Sale $599

Hartke HyDrive HX115, 1x15" + HF, 500watts, 8 ohms.

Retail $639.99

Sale $499

Just now realizing that I was holding an $11k bass on my lap, I break out...in a coooooooold sweat!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just now realizing that I was holding an $11k bass on my lap, I break out...in a coooooooold sweat!

Imagine how I felt when I told the violinist who has the same name as I do that I was going to take the next gig when someone called me by mistake. He said, "you can't play violin", I said, "sure I can", he handed me his violin and I played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

I later found out that his violin was worth $60,000. :o

LOL! Oh, man, that's priceless!

The violinist that Jeremy is referring to is a very high profile violinist in the San Francisco area. I actually think it would be more funny if the violinist showed up at one of the gigs where someone was hiring a bass player.

Wally

Imagine how I felt when I told the violinist who has the same name as I do that I was going to take the next gig when someone called me by mistake. He said, "you can't play violin", I said, "sure I can", he handed me his violin and I played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Funkslap Mama worried:

Not on the Bass! NOT ON THE BASS!!

Cheers

Graham

Haha. No kidding! In fact, they had me remove my leather jacket, before picking up the guitars, so I wouldn't scratch the backs with the zipper -- which, of course, I was happy to do. I was scared to death that it was a "You broke it; you bought it" type of situation!

That kind of feeling is what I've got when I brought home my Alembic, only that I had already paid for it. At least the first week was a mixture of "I can't believe it", "I'd rather keep it on its case" and "I wanna play it until my fingers fall off". Ultimately we reached a balance point, and now I'm starting to enjoy it more as what it really is: A Tool, an Instrument to be played and enjoyed, and not only something to watch and admire and be "wow-ed" by.

Quite curiously... really old, beaten Fenders can cost as much as an Alembic bass. But only as long as those are unchanged, although really beaten. I have some "normal-off-the-shelf" basses, which would compete with some of those old Fenders anytime. Some of mine have had their fair share of nicks and dents from normal, non abusive use, have stood the test of time, and sound wonderful, but most probably will not reach the price range of those old beaten Fenders, OR the new, shiny Alembics, in that case.

I wanted to buy off eBay a red Fender P with a black pickguard I saw the other day. It was at 6.000$. I have a "P" which sounds pretty decent, and a P/J which is also awesome sounding -thanks Barts!-, versatile and comfy. The ONLY reason I had for wanting it was the pic of the neck's heel base: It showed this bass's date stamp... with my birth date. :P

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

This is the reason why I have not spent more than $200 on any of my basses. If one gets run over by a truck I'll feel bad, but not $11,000.00 worth of bad. That, and the fact that IMHO there isn't a solid body instrument on the planet worth that kind of money.

To quote a wise man, "Davio, I think you're absolutely right," heh-heh.

Don't encourage him. :laugh:

I don't know what you're talking about.

It's sad, really - isn't it? - when somebody has to quote somebody else out of context, giving a false impression of what was said, just to bolster his own pathetically fragile ego? A person more to be pitied than criticized...

I don't understand how THIS is out of context. I said something and you said I was right. What's wrong with enjoying the few times in my life when I'm right and somebody acknowledges it. You're a bitter old man and I'm going to tell my mom. ;)

Good gravy. Is there a problem here? Can we just go back to being one nation under a groove?

God, I love those funky references, Mama :thu: Don't mind Chad & Davio, they do this all the time :) Just re-read everything they posted and imagine this smiley: :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Good gravy. Is there a problem here? Can we just go back to being one nation under a groove?

God, I love those funky references, Mama :thu: Don't mind Chad & Davio, they do this all the time :) Just re-read everything they posted and imagine this smiley: :grin:

Phew. OK. Good. I ~thought~ so, but you just never know. Hate to see any discord in our little corner of the world.

Speaking of funky references, P-Funk is playing in Chgo tomorrow night, and it looks like I won't be able to get a ticket! Sob...

• 3 weeks later...

My first encounter with a Dingwall bass was love at first sight (or is that love at first sound?).

My guitar tech was working on a bass by a famous player (I'd better not post the player's name in case it gets my guitar tech into trouble) and called me saying I had to rush over right away to try this bass that would solve all my never-ending problems with uber-expensive Warwick basses and Gibson-made Tobias basses over the years.

Sure enough, I was sold, and visited the Dingwall booth at the NAMM show, where I was able to get my cost down after finding the all-passive Afterburner was everything that I need at a much lower cost. In fact, I have turned away from active basses as a result, as this bass has plenty of output and depth without needing internal boost of any sort.

This is my favourite bass I have ever owned, and will be with me for the rest of my life. Although I had originally tried the Zebra, the Afterburner fills 95% of my bass needs, and I do literally cover every genre (including various ethnic styles from around the world).

The "B" string has incredible definition, and due to the Novax fanned fret system, all of the strings have similar enough weight in their sound that I have changed my playing technique vs. the traditional "stay on the bottom strings" approach.

With Warwick's through-neck Thumb bass, I had to spend hours trying every possible fingering before I could get any phrases to voice consistently enough. The DIngwall is the opposite in that it rarely matters what string I play on -- though I still adhere fairly closely to traditional bass guitar fingering styles, as I play other basses as well.

This bass is perfect for funk, slap/pop, singer-songwriter, pop, dance music, rock, and almost any cover song from late 60's on.

As it has a fairly modern sound, and a bit of a pianistic tone, I do use another bass for more tradition P/J-MM sounds. I can come close to coaxing those out of the Afterburner, but it's good to have a backup bass anyway so I just use that one for more mainstream rock that calls for the Fender/Musicman sound.

Oh, and the articulation! Second to none. Every note speaks and every nuance of attack, release, sliding, etc. is captured.

This bass was a bargain when I bought it. The relative value of Canadian vs. US dollar may have changed that equation a bit over the past eight to ten years though.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Ann P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico Bari, Dano Bari

Select Strat/Tele, Am Pro Jazzmaster, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, T64, PM2, EXL1, XK4, Voyager

Hey Mark, have you checked out the FD-3 pickups? I'm seriously considering springing for a set to replace the FD-1s in my AB1. Supposedly more warm and "organic"/not as "hi-tech" sounding (if that makes sense) while still maintaining all of the clarity and then some.

No, but ironic that you should mention that, because Lee Sklar is why I bought the Esh Various 5 that I am now selling. He handed it off to me at the NAMM show while I was at their booth and sung its praises (and also "played" its praises, hooking me for sure).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Ann P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico Bari, Dano Bari

Select Strat/Tele, Am Pro Jazzmaster, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, T64, PM2, EXL1, XK4, Voyager

Archived