Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP: Warren King

BillWelcome Home Studios

the Kingfish died last night, another victim of rock and roll. One of the finest soloist I knew, Warren held his own in on stage jams with the likes of Richie Sambora that brought the house down. Warren played with many bands including the 70s regional favorite Diamond REO, and was an original member of "Norman Nardini and the East Side Tigers", leaving Norman to become a founding member of "The Silencers". Warren moved to Florida to become a regular studio guitarist. Eventually he returned to Pittsburgh, joining "Wil E Tri and the Bluescasters" and sitting in with many other bands. Warren and I went to school together, and played together in " Black Bart" in 1969. He lived the rock and roll lifestyle to the hilt for a long time, but it took him too young. Rock on, my man.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I have both a Silencers record (I remember the Peter Gunn theme and a rev'ed up rock and roll cover of "Johnny Too Bad" being on it) and a Norman Nardini and The Tigers (did they shorten it?) record in my stacks somewhere. RIP.

Well, that is all Pittsburgh rock, and maybe that is the connection.

Must be... I was a record store kid, building cross references from things like producers and engineers and the names of band members... plus, the clerks at a few stores here used to be great about letting you know about other stuff if you were picking up something. Donnie Iris was pretty big here on mainstream radio, but especially AOR, college and the high school rock station around '80. Those first 2 solo records were great stuff. Liked the other stuff I heard after, and he scored his MTV hit that kind of broke him. The R&B/soul/funk band that played my high school prom surprised me by going into "Love Is Like A Rock" after Lionel Ritchie's "Dancing On The Ceiling," and I think we surprised them by cheering so loud for it.

Well, the common thread is probably the guys from the east side, and maybe a club in Oakland called the Decade, where everybody played. But you go from Dr John, Jon Bon Jovi, Paul Schaffer, Bruce Springsteen, Bullmoose Jackson, and a bunch of other of the more mainstream guys who worked with Pittsburgh artists, played on their albums, etc. Frank Czuri, Norman Nardini, Billy Price, Joe Grushecky, the Granatti Brothers, Warren King, Dark Horse, the Flash Cats, Jimmy Mack and the Music Factory, Donnie Iris, the Jaggerz, the Silencers... the various off-shoots and solo projects and 'influenced by'... plus the various jam sessions.... everynody knows everybody and played with everybody at one time or another. Warren fired up most situations in which he worked.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10031/1032395-51.stm

http://www.prorec.com/Articles/tabid/109/EntryId/137/Norman-Nardini-pt-4.aspx

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I just read the local papers about him. I met him a couple of times, a cool cat who did live rock and roll.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Archived