Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Electro 2 Rack OS 2.0 Update to OS 3.04 - Help

b3keys

Hi Everybody,

I was able to secure a Nord Electro Rack 2, which is great! Last evening, I tried to update the OS from version 2.0 to 3.04, the latest version.

This is where the headaches began. I downloaded the latest OS, the Nord Tool 3.0 and the USB driver. I tried updating the OS in a Windows Vista environment. The Nord Electro's USB driver is not being recognized by Windows Vista as it is not 32-bit.

So then I tried downloading the Mac files onto my Macbook and I am running into similar issues. USB is not being recognized. I've tried using different USB cables, etc and etc to no avail.

I really wanted to update the OS and change some of the piano sounds. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thank you in advance!

James

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, no. I can only tell you that I've done similar things with my Electro 2s and MacBooks with no problem, so it can be done.

The first two things *I* would check/do are 1) is your USB cable good, and 2) install Growl/Hardware Growler which tells you when things are connected to your MacBook. This is a great diagnostic tool that helps you know when you get or lose a connection to a device. If you plug in a device and don't get notified, you either have a bad connection, it's not powered on, or you don't have Hardware Growler running.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Joe,

Thanks for the reply! I was able to install Growler and the USB cable is being recognized. When I get to the OS update section, Step 3, it is asking me to select MIDI IN and MIDI OUT devices, but is not allowing me to put any device name in the box or use the up/down arrows to select MIDI devices. Any further suggestions?

Erm, I haven't done an OS update in a while.

Try the patch manager (whatever it's called) and see if that generally works first. Then you'd know if you have the right connection.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Do you have MIDI in and out connected to your computer's MIDI interface? Apparently this is a requirement to do the update.

http://www.clavia.se/main.asp?tm=Products&clpm=Nord_Electro_2&clnem=Software_Updates

Thanks for this thread; I'm expecting UPS to deliver my "new" Electro 2 Rack tomorrow. This saves me a few moments searching for updates and how-tos.

LW

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Lonnie,

Here are some tips:

1. I have Windows Vista installed on my Desktop, which is not primarily used for music applications. The Nord USB driver is not 32 bit and Windows Vista would not recognize it, so I could perform the updates in this environment.

2. Instead, I used my Macbook to perform the updates. In order to put new sounds into the Electro, I first needed to perform the OS update.

3. After downloading all of the required files from the Nord website, and after Joe's helpful hints, I used my FA-101 audio interface to connect the Nord Electro to the Macbook. I connected the MIDI ins and outs of the Electro to the FA-101.

4. Once I did this, the Electro was recognized, and the updating was seemless.

5. To add/change sounds, I called up the Nord Electro tool, and with a USB connection, easily added sounds.

6. Another hint, I created a folder on my Macbook to hold the Electro sounds. I then just changed the directory of the Nord Electro tool to read from this directory.

7. Have Fun!

Archived