Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SP-170

Dana.

Did anyone get their hands on it at NAMM?

And some questions for Jerry at Korg:

Are the piano and EP sounds derived from the SV-1?

Are the two piano sounds "Japanese" and "German"?

Are the two EP sounds a Rhodes and a DX-style?

How does the new "Natural Weighted Hammer Action" compare to the RH3 action on the SV-1?

With no front panel controls, how are changes to volume, sounds, and velocity sensitivity made?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know the answers to the first 4 questions. But there apparently is a volume slider on the back panel. (Not too convenient). And to make other changes in settings, you use the keyboard itself. You're supposed to hold down the highest 3 keys on the keyboard simultaneously. While doing this, you then press one of the other lower keys, depending upon which setting you want to change. (Each key changes a different setting to a particular value). Yeah, it's weird, unintuitive, and not conducive to live playing. I have no idea what Korg were thinking. I guess they were totally consumed with the asthetic idea that the keyboard looks "better" without buttons and sliders visible. But really, if you're the type of musician who gives such asthetics primary consideration, are you really going to buy one of the cheapest digital pianos on the market? I'd think that kind of image-concious customer would go for high-end gear.

Thanks for the info jeff_g. I don't think Korg is envisioning this as a gigging DP. Depending on the sounds and the action, and for the price, though, I think it could be useful, and it provides an alternative to the Casio PX-130.

But there apparently is a volume slider on the back panel. (Not too convenient).

They know, a crew guy hunkers down behind your rig.

And to make other changes in settings, you use the keyboard itself. You're supposed to hold down the highest 3 keys on the keyboard simultaneously. While doing this, you then press one of the other lower keys, depending upon which setting you want to change. (Each key changes a different setting to a particular value). Yeah, it's weird, unintuitive, and not conducive to live playing. I have no idea what Korg were thinking.

They think, you´re an artist !

I guess they were totally consumed with the asthetic idea that the keyboard looks "better" without buttons and sliders visible.

Maybe it looks even better without keys at all.

A.C.

Archived