Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Boston to Sacramento: How?

Davo-London

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd opt for the North to South route myself... Fly into the Pacific Northwest somewhere (Seattle, Vancouver, Portland etc, drive the coastal highway down to Santa Rosa or Bodega Bay somewhere around there, and then head inward through wine country. That's a great drive, and if you've never experienced the Redwoods, you really need to. Especially up north near Crescent City where the forest scenes in Return of the Jedi were filmed. I used to play paintball in those trees... unbelievable.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Davio: were we? Where abouts in Boston are you? My relatives are in Swampscott.

Davo

:D Not really.

Swampscott is about 30 minutes north of Boston. I'm in the city proper. If schedules work out, I'd love to met up with you while you're here.

Sorry I can't be of much help on the route. The only cross country drive I've ever made was from Tampa to Boston when I moved...and I wouldn't suggest that drive to anyone. At least not in the winter while on a time crunch.

I drove the length of Route 66 in 1969 when I moved to California. There were a few interesting moments, otherwise it was just a long, brutal drive.

The ride down the coast from Seattle to San Francisco is beautiful and takes a very long time. The many curves may make you carsick and if you are unused to driving on a winding cliff road with a long drop to the rocky seashore on your right, you will get very nervous.

The ride down the coast from Seattle to San Francisco is beautiful and takes a very long time. The many curves may make you carsick and if you are unused to driving on a winding cliff road with a long drop to the rocky seashore on your right, you will get very nervous.

This is very true... The coast road can be as hairy as it is beautiful, especially in the fog or at night. In June you shouldn't have a big problem with fog, but it can hit any time if the conditions are right. If you do consider this route, it might be something to think about to fly into Medford, Oregon, and drive west to Crescent City and then down the coast highway to Santa Rosa. That would cut out the majority of the winding coastline but still give you access to some of the most spectacular country on that route. I can't stress enough how awesome the Redwoods are... they are inspiring on many levels. Coming in from Medford, when you start down the mountain out of Oregon into the Smith River valley, it is amazing to watch the fauna gradually change, and then all of a sudden you're smack in the middle of these huge giants before you know it, towering over everything and blocking out the sun even at high noon... very cool.

Maybe if you scheduled things right you could even catch a fishing charter out of Fort Bragg or somewhere, if you're so inclined. Nothing like a little seasickness to cure a bout of car sickness... :freak:

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

not to discourage you but you will spend most of you time driving between Boston and Cali. Get to Cali, drive around, fly to Boston, look around, you can even take a boat across the bayto Cape Cod for a nice day trip. the novely of Road trips and wide open spaces really wears off after a few hours in Kansas or North Dakota.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

What a bunch of sticks-in-the-mud. The man wants to go on a road trip.

Davo, there are lots of ways to get across the US. I have done several but my favorite is the Northern. That being said, take the Southern.

I like the suggestion about flying into Arizona. You have to see the Grand Canyon, Brice Canyon, Monument Valley, Death Valley and Yosemite.

Maybe we can touch base when you are in Sac.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Driving is still the best way to see the country. A lot depends on what you drive and how much time you allow. Last spring I drove a Lincoln Town Car from south Florida to central New Jersey. I took three days and made a few interesting stops on the way. It wasn't such a chore. Downright pleasant as a matter of fact.
Push the button Frank.

Almost every year I drive from the San Francisco area where I live to Death Valley by way of highway 80 or 50, 395 and 190. IMHO, it is one of the most beautiful rides in the world. It takes 11 hours or so if you don't stop. You should stop at a whole bunch of places. Sometimes you just have to stop to look at the view. On highway 395 driving through the Owens Valley you have the 14,000 foot Sierra Nevada on one side and the 12,000 White Mountains on the other.

According to Google Maps, Boston to San Francisco, via the shortest route, Interstate 80, is 3,099 Miles. That's 1200 driving miles more than the road distance from London to Athens, Greece.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

I was gonna be a smart aleck and say "Generally westsouthwesterly".

Fly into Atlanta. Drive through Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, New Mexico, and Arizona. Take your time and talk to people. Eat a lot of really good, really bad-for-you food. Take notes and pictures. Write a bestseller and sell the movie rights for a half a bazillion dollars. Buy us all new gear :)

But seriously, if you're not time-crunched, see as much of the country and its people as you can.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Do the fly/drive. A round-trip air ticket BOS-LAX is easy enough, especially with Virgin America's competitive fares. You then rent a car and can go up PCH and return down I5 (about 8 hours from Sacto to LA), or vice-versa, depending on your schedule. If you don't want to drive so much, there's also Virgin Atlantic service into San Francisco, and plenty to see and do between there and Sacto: Bay Area, Napa Valley, etc.
Founder of the G&L JB-2 Legion

• 2 weeks later...
To get from Boston to I 80, first you have to drive south a few hundred miles to New Jersey where I 80 starts.

It ends in sight of my house.

BUT you can take the Mass Pike (Massachusetts Turnpike) to the NY State Thru-way which are Rt.90 and it meets up with Rt 80 in PA or OH.

Carvin Bunny Brunel Signature 5 String, ESP LTD 5 String, Ampeg SVT3, Ampeg 4x10 and 1x18

www.captaincutthroat.com

Capt. C's route is defintely the more scenic one, and will keep you out of the nasty traffic between Boston and NJ.

This thread brings back old memories of driving across country in the 70's for gigs. One time we finished in San Jose on a Saturday night and left from the gig and opened on Tuesday in Boston. I drove the first 48 hours straight to Harrisburg, PA and spent the night at my parents house and then drove to Boston.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived