Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Boston to Sacramento: How?

Davo-London

I'm planning to go on a 1 week drum school in Sacramento (Ca), run by the brilliant Mike Johnston. I also need to visit my brother and sister-in-law in Boston.

So, if I had a few days to kill, what would be funkiest, most audacious, fun route/transport method to get from Boston to Sacramento (including any stop-over points along the way)?

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, dear Chad, I do realise. Obviously I could fly part of the way and drive the rest or vice versa. Or just start driving nd when I've had enough fly the rest. Or buy a 1966 Chevy Impala and sell it in California, when I get there.

Anything considered.

Davo

Sorry I should say I'm travelling in JUNE.

Re: TOP GEAR - I'm not that daft. Did you guys see this Christmas Top Gear special, which was a trip from Bolivia to Chile in 4WD vehicles they bought from the internet? Priceless.

Davo

Even in June I wouldn't want to make some of that drive. I've driven from New York to Chicago in 1 day, but some of that was mind-numbingly boring. It gets even worse once you get past Chicago! It's 1,000 miles plus of plains, then mountain ranges, some high desert and wait...ANOTHER mountain range.

Still, a cross country trip can be interesting. But it entirely depends on what route you take, where you stop and how much time you have.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Sorry I should say I'm travelling in JUNE.

Re: TOP GEAR - I'm not that daft. Did you guys see this Christmas Top Gear special, which was a trip from Bolivia to Chile in 4WD vehicles they bought from the internet? Priceless.

Davo

Top Gear is my favorite show. Unfortunately we get them on BBC America about two years after they air in Britain.
Push the button Frank.

Nicklab: indeed I've driven a silly distance in Australia and know just how uninteresting a long roadtrip can be. But sometimes that's the point. No point in going to big cities, what about the other parts?

Someone here has suggested the drive from Oregon down to California would be more interesting. I really don't know, that's why I'm canvassing opinion.

Davo

Someone here has suggested the drive from Oregon down to California would be more interesting. I really don't know, that's why I'm canvassing opinion.

That is a great suggestion. I would take advantage of the West Coast drive rather than rushing through the Midwest.

Or spend the time in California. You are not so far away from some of my favorite spots in California.

In California, stop at Muir Woods, Napa/Sonoma, and San Francisco. Buy Jeremy lunch. All are within reasonable driving distance to Sacramento.

Someone here has suggested the drive from Oregon down to California would be more interesting.

I've driven from here (San Francisco area) to Portland many times (my brother lives in Portland). Other than Mt. Shasta, there is really not much to see between the two places. It's just a long drive (ten hours if you don't stop).

How about this idea:

Fly to Phoenix. Buy a car. Drive up to see the Grand Canyon, continue on to Las Vegas, then go to Death Valley (although it will be 110 degrees Fahrenheit), go up hiway 395 in California. It's a beautiful drive. Go up Tioga Pass into Yosemite National Park. Then from there drive to Sacramento and sell the car.

Yeah define interesting?!

Walk would be cool but requires more shoe leather than i have.

Like the idea of buying a car although probably a lot of hassle selling again?

I also like the idea of checking out Cali instead.

Keep the ideas coming.

Davo

You could come visit me in Paradise California (in the mountains by Chico if anyone knows where that is) :D

In Sacramento you could go check out the old town and the train museum if that's your thing, or go to guitar center. That's about the only two places in Sac I've been to.

Or you could hitch. Meet interesting people that way.

Exactly. A piece of cardboard and a fat sharpie will get you anywhere. That'd be a hoot.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Fly to Denver and take I-70 through the Rockies, swing up to I-80 through Utah, then it's a straight shot through Nevada to Sacramento. A straight shot is the only way to go through Nevada... spend as little time as possible there, unless you're into speed trials, then you could visit the Bonneville Salt Flats on your way, might even see Buckaroo Banzai while you're there. I've done the drive several times, there is also the option of taking I-25 north from Denver and following I-80 through Wyoming to Utah... that is a spectacular drive in June. Lots of wildlife, beautiful scenery, plenty of places to see.

If you had time and schedules permit on both sides, you could take a tour of a working underground hardrock Molybdenum mine...

DX

Incidently, davo, if you're into good worship music and a great service, and you're going to be in Sacramento on Saunday, Bayside Church, where Lincoln Brewster leads worship, is in Roseville just outside of Sacramento, it's a very nice Church, my wife and I visited there when we flew down to spend some time with my grandfather this past summer, and it was a great experience.

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

The suggestion of Route 66 is a good one. It's a cool trip,and you wind up in the southern part of California, and can drive up Highway 1, pretty much the length of California. There are some cool things on the trip up the coast. My family made that trip up to Sacramento and beyond to San Francisco in 1961, when my dad was transferred to Anderson Air Force Base on Guam from Selfridge Air Force Base in Michigan.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Aaah.....66 Chevy "convertible", my favorite way to travel.

See America, only drive on roads that are the thin,faint,black lines on the map. Stop in Austin, Texas and spend two nights on 6th street.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Route 66 still exists in Tulsa. Most of it is now East 11th Street. There is very little charm left but the city is trying to pimp it up a bit. The old Meadow Gold sign was recently restored.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ArVsUdO4uoo/Se86D4LM2yI/AAAAAAAAAII/HEWocUTovxY/s320/Meadow+Gold+April+7+2009.JPG

http://www.lacusveris.com/MotherRoad/Blue%20Dome%20Service%20Station,%20Tulsa,%20OK%202005-07-13%2019.13.36.jpg

- Matt W.

Archived