Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard question

skipclone 1

Yeah I know-I should post it on the keyboard forum. But I`m less worried about sounding like a dunce if I post it here, at least for now.

So I have this song, I`m planning to do a scaled up version of it later this year but right now I`m working on the demo version. There`s a keyboard part and I need a sound something like what you would hear at a baseball game. Does anyone know what kind of keyboard that would be, or a keyboard model that would have it?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe many times they'll name such a sound, "stadium organ", "seventh inning stretch" or some such term alluding to it's use at the ball game. Asking at the keyboard forum would definitely be the way to go, though, and I doubt anyone would take issue with your ignorance of how keyboard players and manufacturers typically identify such a sound, Skip.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Some of us keyboard players hop over here from time to time, so let the bashing commence!!! :wave:

No, really. It is an organ sound - not sure what most stadiums have, but using the standard Hammond organ as a base, Drawbars would probably be full open - meaing all of them all the way up. So in a preset, it may be called something like "full stops" or something like that. But that's only half of it. They usually have a fair amount of vibrato, which you should be able to adjust on most keyboards. If you want it to sound like it's in a stadium, just add the biggest Hall reverb you've got.

What keyboard are you using?

Seriously, you ought to post over there, there are lots of Organ experts. And give them the details of what you'll be using, they could probably give you pretty detailed instructions. Although you may catch a little grief, but it'll be friendly, I promise!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

If you don't need a variety of other sounds, if they have some sort of Hammond clone, that would be the easiest way to "dial in" the sound. If you're stuck with the typical workstation, you'll have to go through a ton of presets trying to find the right one - and they may not have one that's exactly right. If you're using a studio and they have the right board for the job, and you explain the sound, I'd bet they'll know how to dial it in. Look for a Hammond XK series, korg CX-3, Nord Electro, etc - keyboards designed to emulate organ.

That is, unless you need a variety of other sounds, then you're better off with a workstation or Rompler, you'll just need to spend more time "looking" for that sound.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I post over there all the time, and there are only a couple of them who will trash me for not being 'one of them'

I can tell you that many old time ball parks had Wurlitzer organs, and most modern parks have simple MIDI keyboards if the whole rig is not just sampled and played from a computer screen. (they sample the entire phrase, like the 'charge!' phrase, then put a screen full of 'buttons' in front of an operator who triggers the sounds on cue from the show's producer (they call the A/V parts of the games, 'shows'). The old time organ player is being replaced at most sports venues by MP3 players.

So your sample sound should be easy to find.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I'd say that Neil, Dan, and Bill are well within the ballpark here... :rimshot:

Besides that big stadium 'verb, try the classic baseball stadium echo on that warbling organ, too, if a real ballpark vibe is what you're after- if it doesn't otherwise interfere with the track.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Not after the stadium feel so much, just the sound.

Of course the thing is, I don`t mind putting a bit of time into searching-the song requires one other keyboard sound basically, the rest is pretty much guitar-but no way am I going to do that with someone`s meter running,

that`s why I`m trying to get as much of it worked out beforehand as possible.

Ya, the Wurlitzer notion popped into my head this afternoon as I was thinking about this.

If you want to own the organ, look in thrift shops. Last year I ran into a huge two or three manual tube Wurlitzer with bass pedals in a thrift shop for $75. I didn't buy it because I had no place for it, but I called my buddy who collects Hammonds and told him about it.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Most of the old traditional ball parks used a Wurlitzer Theater Organ, an interesting branch of organ development that really doesn't sound like a Hammond sound or a pipe organ sound.

The most common sounds were big fluty sounds that would have about three octaves playing at once, coupled with a high amount of tremelo (as opposed to vibrato - an amplitude variation instead of a frequency variation). Other companies made theater organs, including Lowrey and Gulbransen, Baldwin, Conn, etc.

My old Kurzweil K2000VP (or a Kurz K2500) had a preset number 100 that was named "Cheeze" and (best of memory, the instrument is a few miles from me at the moment) - that sound was close. There was also number 101, named "Tamborgan" and number 107, named "Resorgan." One of those three might be a good starting point.

If you're looking for a short clip (like the part for "take me out to the ball-game") - you might find something close on You Tube, I'd almost bet that some of the theater organ folk have placed stuff like that on YT. If it is kind of background, a Hammond emulation trashed up a bit through a pedal might be close enough.

I worked on a lot of such instruments, but never really got into the style - if it is an integral part needed to make your song complete - the playing technique will have a lot to do with the realism also.

HTH (and most of us on KC are friendly, I play bass guitar a bit in addition to keys).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks MBK-

There`s not a lot of technique involved-that`s the only reason I`d even consider playing the part myself-but the sound has to be right, it`s not in the background. I think I can offer more to go on after I call the studio and see what they have available.

Bill, I would have the same problem with space. The bed I have now feels like I`m sleeping on a keyboard, that`s about as close to that condition as I intend to get.

Ya the thing about YT is, there are a lot of good clips IF you know what you`re loooking for. In this case I know the sound, or a close proximity but not which instrument would have it.

Well I`m at an internet cafe, before I put on a video I`ll take a quick look on YT.

+1 on Youtube...if you find the sound, take your laptop to the studio and play it...your studio tech may just have the equipment that will help you get the sound you are after (maybe a sampler)...I could get a lot of altered organ sounds on the old analog Juno 60 and have the sound you're looking for in my head...but I quit playing keyboards a decade ago (even though I still hold on to my digital Kurzweil)...hope the Keyboard guys can help you out and I know there must be some friendlies on the forum for us novices...
Take care, Larryz

Well I found a sample of the Wurlitzer theatre organ-that sound is amazing but what I heard is a very soft attack, this is a synchopated part. The Technics FA1 is getting there.

Don't Know specifics about the Wurli Theatre Organ, but many organs have a percussion setting you can adjust to add that key click for a more percussive tone.

Dan

Hi

Well I spoke to the studio guys, they have several keyboards available for rental. I`m kind of pressed for time now but I`ll post this over at KC a little later.

Here are the ones they mentioned:

Korg Triton

Yamaha CP-33

Roland Juno

Roland Juno DI

Seems like one of those would have what I`m looking for, or close to it.

Yeah I know-I should post it on the keyboard forum. But I`m less worried about sounding like a dunce if I post it here, at least for now.

Ah, the travails of gelotophobia :eek: !

Skip, you should know by now that the only dumb question is the one unasked!

If nothing else, one can always comfort themselves with the awareness that when someone smirks at another who asks a basic question, that reflects their own insecurities or need to feel superior.

d=halfnote

Ah, the travails of gelotophobia :eek: !

Skip, you should know by now that the only dumb question is the one unasked!

If nothing else, one can always comfort themselves with the awareness that when someone smirks at another who asks a basic question, that reflects their own insecurities or need to feel superior.

I should know but currently I`m in kind of a brittle state of mind.

That despite the fact that technically, the piano was my first instrument. In any case I do a more than sufficient job of sounding like a dummy already, a challenge to new heights is hardly necessary.

Archived