Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

i kinda want a J.

rumpelstiltskin.

i've been listening to a lot of records with J basses on them, and i really like the tone. but i've never been a fan of how they look. (i know. that makes me the only one.)

so i've been thinking about a G&L JB-2. anyone played one? thoughts? any other non-traditional J basses i should look at? if only fender made a BenLoy with a P body. and maybe a P neck.

robb.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something like this one?

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/3/6/268536.jpg

It's a 5, but, there it is...

Or you could order a Warmoth Precision body routed for Jazz pickups...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

In general I have liked the G&L basses I've played.

Someone like Mike Lull would build you whatever you wanted. Not sure if that is within the price range you were hoping for though. When he built a P bass for me I had him put a Jazz neck on it. There's also the Warmoth option. Order a P body routed for Jazz pickups, a P neck, some nice pickups (I really like Lindy Fralin Jazz pickups), and build to your liking. That could be a fun little project.

That Squier looks like it has J pickups but it says Precision on the headstock....

I have the exact same Squier Jazz bass as the one pictured - black, four-string - which is my main bass here in Paris. Cost maybe $175 new, has played great for a few years...although the nut holding the jack just fell out yesterday, lol. Should be an easy fix tho, thanks to the two-piece pickguard.

I know what you mean about the J's looks , but I got over it once I played one.

I have the G & L Tribute, and it is absolutely sweet, play one at least before you buy anything else. I also have a MIM J Bass, and I find the Tribute and the J to be more similar than not.

Several of the Precision Specials have J necks and bridge p-ups, and P bass Bodies and neck p-ups, but I have played none of those.

FWIW, the Squier Vintage Modified J Bass is very nice, and won't break you wallet. My friend just bought one, and played at a jam session, great sound and plenty of tone. I tried it out, it has a nice J Bass feel.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I am not fond of the shape of the Jazz body, however; when playing it, only your friends/audience can see it. They fall off of most stands easily and they are usually heavy. I prefer the tone of a P/J pickup combination over the regular Jazz. The slim neck is OK but I would just as soon have a Precision neck. So, what is my advice, I don't have any to give you. :rolleyes:

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

You could also consider this one:

http://www.lakland.com/images/basses/443-Silver-R-100-dpi.jpg

The Lakland Joe Osborn model

I want this. Somebody buy it for me. Please.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

As the proud owner of a JB2 and founder of the JB2 Legion, I can tell you that it is a J-sounding bass with a P-body, and 22 frets; it's the passive J that goes to 11 (rather hot output from the pickups). Some J-purists over at TB wax eloquent about replacing the stock pickups, but I actually love the versatility right out of the box. I had the Tribby for 2 years, getting rid of it last summer to acquire a new US-made edition that I plan to take with me to my grave. It's already paid for itself twice over in gig revenue, and chicks dig it:

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs147.snc3/17455_243569802824_731132824_3282370_8145871_n.jpg

Founder of the G&L JB-2 Legion

What is there not to love about this look?

offset waist. i've owned an HEM (hecho en mexico) jazz before. ergonomically and visually, it doesn't do it for me. also, if we're picking nits (and you should know i love picking nits), for as hot as a matching headstock in shiny red is, i vastly prefer a maple board to rosewood.

but the block inlays are hotness. and the covers.

robb.

If you are seriously considering a DIY project I would suggest a Carvin B4 (or B5) kit. It is basically a Precision shape with jazz pups. You have a wide choice of options. The quality is very high and it is the least expensive DIY kit out there.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

If you are seriously considering a DIY project I would suggest a Carvin B4 (or B5) kit. It is basically a Precision shape with jazz pups. You have a wide choice of options. The quality is very high and it is the least expensive DIY kit out there.

Good call.

Carvin also offers other nice already built options.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/images/b40/2guitars-b40-1.jpg

Push the button Frank.

IMO this is one of the best looking basses I've ever seen

http://www.dingwallguitars.com/forum/files/sj5_geddy_full_shot_173.jpg

One day...

Yeah...but he said he doesn't like offset waists.

Too bad he's missing out on some really hot women with one leg shorter than the other.

Archived