Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Band Emails

J. Dan

There has been some discussion lately about how you promote yourself on the web. While I don't think this was specifically asked this time around, it's been a discussion on this and other forums in the past as to what your emails consist of, etc.

We currently have about 850 on our email list and we tend to hold them pretty well, although mathematically, it looks like our drop-off and add rates will equalize somewhere around 1000.

These days people are pretty touchy about emails. We all get so many spams, that even if you're remotely interested, a lot of times you'd rather just not have it clogging up your inbox. So my philosophy is that you have to make the emails entertaining - almost to the point where they look forward to them, even if they know they won't be going out that weekend. I generally send them out every week - usually Wed night advertising the weekend shows.

I try to change them up - some are basic text, short, sweet, to the point, others include a bit of 80s trivia (today in 1984 the #1 song was_____), I include world events and holidays - even something as trivial as groundhog day or even the weather, but try to put an 80s twist on it.

If you aren't really a fan of the 80s or up on 80s songs/etc, some of these may not make much sense, but following are a few of the emails I've sent out over the last couple years:

Valentines Day

Song Titles

Christmas 2008

Christmas 2009

Groundhog Day

Breakfast Club

80s Slang

Adventurland Promo

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work. I particularly like the "breakfast club" one.

I really need to get more creative with our gig announcement emails.

My brother-in-law is the guitarist in a punk band. He sent out this announcement which made me laugh. WARNING: It's NC-17 so if you are offended by vulgarity, then don't click the link.

The edgy stuff works for a punk band, but doesn't really fit in with what my band is trying to build.

Archived