Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Single coil hum

simpleman3441

Just checkin on a silly question. If my guitar is perpendicular to my amp, the hum disappears. Can someone explain this phenomenon? I've got Texas Specials and a '59 Bassman Reissue. Don't know if that changes anything.
We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are electromagnet fields and radio interference that various electric devices emit, your amp being one of 'em, and single-coil pickups are susceptible to these as they move through 'em. At various angles and distances, the strength of the interference changes; some are more directional than others.

Humbuckers were invented by Seth Lover and Gibson back in the '50s for just this reason, but a whole new style of pickups and respective tone came out of it, as well.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

If that hum really bothers you, you might be interested in the Suhr BPSSC System (Backplate Silent Single Coil System), essentially a dummy-coil circuit that uses a special replacement cover-plate for a Strat's trem-spring cavity as a type of dummy-coil in a hum-canceling circuit. I haven't had the pleasure of checking it out for myself yet, but they're supposed to be the bee's (silenced) knees.

Judging by the pics, I'm gonna guess that it's bigger than stock, and would need new holes for the screws (but I could be wrong). If that's the case, though, I'd say that's a small trade-off for its benefits.

Archived