Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

unexpected discovery

BillWelcome Home Studios

Okay, I'm selling off a bunch of stuff prior to moving.

Not long ago I traded a Yamaha DX7 for a Vox Kensington bass amp, circa 1967 or so. Didn't ever really play it, just tested it with a bass to see if it worked.

I posted it on craigslist and a guy wants to buy it, so I pulled it out just to double check. This time I used a guitar.

Well, DAMN! I don't want to sell it! Sounds like SRV!

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah, the Rock'N'Roll GirlFriend doesn't want me to sell anything, but from a practical standpoint, it will likely never get used. Too much stuff!

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Cool; add the Vox Kensington bass amp to the list of vintage "sleepers".

Another cool, under appreciated amp is the Traynor Bass Master bass head, an all tube, PTP/eyelette board amp with a unique tone stack, HUGE transformers and a duet of 6CA7/EL34 output-tubes cranking out a nominal 60 watts. Makes a fantastic toothy sounding upper-medium gain guitar amp!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Fellas, it breaks my heart, but I really need to sell it, and a huge list of other stuff. My music room is only going to be so big. I want to dump similar vintage Vox Cambridge Reverb, a 1940s Valco/Silvertone Model 1300 and a 1980s Roland SuperCube, but what is really killing me is the drum kit... I NEED to get rid of the drum kit!!!!! And the Heartfield bass, and the Tennessean,a nd the Silvertone amp-in-case, and the 1960 Melodymaker..... oh, and the mics!!! OY!!!!

Steve Martin

I have found that less is more, well no really more is more. But at the end of the day if you only had one of everything you needed you would be better at using, fixing, playing and expressing your self with those pieces of gear than you could with a mountain of gear you are only somewhat familiar with. On the other hand if you want to keep it keep it its yours till its out the door.

Lokair

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

" if you only had one of everything you needed you would be better at using, fixing, playing and expressing your self with those pieces of gear than you could with a mountain of gear you are only somewhat familiar with."

I understand what you are saying and on some levels could agree... but there is no way in the world to make any other acoustic guitar in the would sound like a mid-1960s Gibson J-160e.... I tried for 30 years using the best gear any studio can provide. My Les Paul will never sound like my Strat, which can't sound like the Gretsch; and my Coles ribbons will never sound like my RCA ribbons, or my Neumanns or my Schoeps or my AKGs. I've been playing and recording since the 1960s. Just like any other craftsman will have a number of tools... a carpenter will have multiple chisels or screwdrivers, a chef will have multiple knives or measuring cups, I own the tools that I own because of the work that each of these tools allows me to do. And I could never be 'better' if I'm fighting one tool to try to make it do the work of another.

Steve Martin

Yea, I know the feeling of having way too many toys/tools. Everyone has choices to make. My rule if it does not get used within a year it should be sold so that it is not taken up space and could be being used by someone. Some Items are exempt due to how I got em and what they mean on a personal level. My guitars alone not counting basses or acoustics, is numbering at 11 and I think by June it should be back down to 4 or 5. But who knows i may just store them in the corner closet. Its hard to sell your friends(guitars/equipment).

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

... may just store them in the corner closet. Its hard to sell your friends(guitars/equipment).

Lok

If I wasn't moving, that might be my answer. Packing vintage instruments for transcontinental shipment? I'll pass. Besides, they are nice instruments, someone should be playing them.

Steve Martin

Wish I was in a position to help you lighten your load!

And if I was- and did- I'd only do so under condition that you could buy 'em back for the same price at any time that you changed your mind and missed 'em.

I know, I know, only talk and that's cheap, but I figured I'd at least put out some good will, if not ways 'n' means.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived