Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

midi xg question - guitar feedback

80skeys

Hello gurus,

If you listen to the Survivor song I Cant Hold Back you see there is extensive use of guitar amp/speaker feedback. Starting with the second verse the guitar bangs out a chord, then holds a single note which produces the feedback/overtone effect and it grows stronger as the note is held.

Id like to know how to program this effect on a PLG100XG board. Anybody familiar with this? Im using XGWorks as my midi editor. I can select a distortion or feedback guitar voice, but just playing the notes does not produce the effect. There's gotta be an effect parameter or something.

Mike

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually the usual way of doing this on a rompler is to use a separate feedback wave and have it slowly gain volume with a long attack while the guitar wave decays. Then you run the whole thing through an amp sim effect to blend them together.

Every modern rompler wavetable I've seen has some guitar feedback waves in there somewhere. On their own they sound horrible but mixed in they do the job.

But I'm unfamiliar with that board and don't even know if it allows you to program your own sounds.

I've used a simple sine wave for this with some success, doing it exactly as Bill H. describes. I don't know about XG, but on Roland's GS soundset, the sine wave is a variation on either the saw or square, I don't remember which. Usually just a little modulation (vibrato) at a slow rate helps.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Thanks guys, I'll check it out. I'm pretty sure the board is programmable because the keyboard I've got it in (CS6X) definitely has programmable voices. Actually one of the voices (on the keyboard not the plug in) has exactly the effect I need so I'll have to just look at the settings and see what it's doing.

By the way, do any of you guys put together your own midi sequences for entire songs? I'll tell you, this is one long and slow process. I mean it's enjoyable and all, but it takes FOREVER. I guess there's no way to make it faster ....

mike

By the way, do any of you guys put together your own midi sequences for entire songs?

I did a ton of it in the '80s and early '90s. (And I remember wrestling with that same guitar feedback challenge on my old M1.) Yes, it's long and tedious, but as with anything else, you get quicker at it the more you do it.

I've also done hundreds of them - and yeah it gets a lot quicker with practice. I have hundreds of drum patterns already done that I string together with maybe small edits. Then I lay the bass line down. Because I've played left hand bass off and on over the years that part goes fast.

Before I know it the rhythm track is done, and because these are backing tracks to my single act there's often not that much more to them other than pads, guitar rhythms, and vocal harmonies (which I record as MIDI notes that trigger individual harmonies in a Vocalist Rack).

Archived