Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

$100 from a drunk

Ross Brown

Crazy gigs this weekend.

On Friday night a drunk gave me $100. He was so drunk I could not understand what he was saying... He would not take it back. I put in on the PA and told him to pick it up before he leaves... he did not. He had hundreds of dollars in his wallet... If I am ever that drunk (I won't be), please send me home.... Wow...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats, he liked you!

We've had that happen to us a few times.

One time in particular, a few years back, we were playing at this bar and the owner's partner who was wasted said he'd double our pay for the night if we knew this certain song and could play it. As luck would have it we did and we played it. He paid up. Unfortunately we must have ticked off the owner as we never played there again. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to play that song afterall.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

That's great. It's more than i have made in all the gigs I have done put togehter.

Instead of money usually I get drunk people wanting to share their knowldge about music. It's amazing how articulate people think they are after a few beers, and shouting always helps others to understand their ramblings.

Tipping at gigs should always be encouraged!

Seriously, it sounds like you did your due dilligence in asking him to take his money back. It doesn't sound like you were trying to milk him for more money. Is it possible he'll be wondering where his $100 went? Maybe. But it sounds like you gave him a chance and acted cool.

And MAYBE he just REALLY liked you guys. It happens. I played a Christmas gig last year and this one guy was having a grand old time. All of a sudden he puts $100 in the tip jar, very deliberately. We keep on grooving along, feeling good about the tip. A little later? He puts ANOTHER c-note in the tip jar! Because that one guy liked us that much the band would up taking home significantly more cash.

How does the old saying go? Don't look a gifthorse in the mouth.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

That's awesome - more often, they toss you a dollar and wonder why you don't want to play their song. Ohh, a dollar between the 5 of us... 20 cents a piece.... WOW!!!

I saw a blues band playing that handled this wonderfully. The singer was pretty sharp and good at ad libbing, etc. They kept the 12 bar blues going while he proceeded to go on a long monolog holding up the dollar (in time with the music, of course). "OOOOOOH, a DOLLA'" And started singing about all the things he can (or can't) do with a dollar. He even asked the waitress "How much is a soda in this fine establishment? ... A dolla' fifty cent?!?!? Well maybe if I put this dolla' in my pocket, it'll turn into a dolla' fifty cent, and I can get a soda" This probably went on for a good 2-3 minutes. He had the crowd rolling and embarrased the person enough to cough up a bunch more money and make up some excuse as to why it was "accisdentally" only a dollar in the first place, then he played their song.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It's a tough situation to feel good about. I applaud your attempt not to take advantage of the guy. Sometimes the only thing you can do is pay it forward. I believe you'll find a chance to, if you keep your eyes open.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I know what you are saying. Our playing is worth a lot.....

He was too drunk to speak intelligibly (sp?)... Went with my guts....

You're a good guy, Ross, and I'd never suggest you violate your principles. I just think if a guy goes out with a wad of $100 bills, gets drunk, and flips one at the band, nobody's responsible for that chain of events but himself.

My 2nd to last gig I had a drunk guy standing off the stage next to me basically worshiping my technique. He was a casual bass player and kept telling me (during the show!) that watching me play made him want to go home and practice.

After our set he came up and kept harrassing me, drunken master style, and eventually bought me a CD from the band that was playing after us which is who he came to see.

It was annoying as hell, but in the end it was flattering to have him and several other people (including bassists from the other bands that night) standing next to the stage in what appeared to be awe. I didn't feel that I was that great that night either, but man they ate it up.

You tried all you could to be cool and not take advantage of him. In the end, it's his money. He chose to get plastered drunk with a wallet full of cash, and that means he chose to pay you extra for the awesome show you gave him.

Pocket it, be gracious, and grateful that he appreciated your music that much.

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

I just think if a guy goes out with a wad of $100 bills, gets drunk, and flips one at the band, nobody's responsible for that chain of events but himself.

Exactly.

Now, if you reach into his pocket and take the rest of his cash, you are in a gray area.

LOL... Thanks for that Reverend.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I just think if a guy goes out with a wad of $100 bills, gets drunk, and flips one at the band, nobody's responsible for that chain of events but himself.

Exactly.

Now, if you reach into his pocket and take the rest of his cash, you are in a gray area.

Um...Rev? Exactly what church are you ordained in, where picking a guy's pocket is a "gray area?" :D

Gray

It is a safe assumption the drunk will be parted with his money, either drinking himself to death or having it stolen by thugs. By taking the rest of his cash, you save him from himself.

In turn, you can do something worthwhile with that money, like helping a 19-year-old girl pay the bills by getting 10-15 lap dances. Give back.

Gray

It is a safe assumption the drunk will be parted with his money, either drinking himself to death or having it stolen by thugs. By taking the rest of his cash, you save him from himself.

In turn, you can do something worthwhile with that money, like helping a 19-year-old girl pay the bills by getting 10-15 lap dances. Give back.

:thu:

Archived